Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Mar 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3383545)   #1
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should Archer enlist Alan Gow for direction of the V8's??

Alan sums it up pretty well in this article. SHould Archer follow his advice or , like the old boys year's ago ask the O/Sea's guys on they set it up and ran it, TEGA ?

Seems he has the right formula

article: http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/03/24/...nst-the-grain/
Old 24 Mar 2014, 09:23 (Ref:3383550)   #2
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well V8Supercars did employ former TOCA Australia boss Kelvin O'Reilly, and the CotF regs do mirror rather closely the "TOCA Tourer concept" being implemented by that body during 2000/01...... so it really wouldn't surprise me if the main man of TOCA was employed.....

....but i don't find it very likely, Mr Gow has seemed perfectly happy over in the UK for near on a quarter of the decade, and he's now got the BTCC going pretty well again.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 02:15 (Ref:3383903)   #3
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think for the V8's, it should take a leaf out of the TOCA book and implement a control/crate engine package. We all know that VESA has embraced individual technologies for the series (like flat pack, direct injection, etc, etc) but within that creates a whole storm of non parity. I've spoken to some of the drivers and team owners and they say that a control engine package is the way to go. The solution within the package is to implement newer tech to get away from the 20 year plus engine that Ford/GMH have used in the V8 Touring Car/V8 Supercar series. (DOHC, direct injection, abandoning the use of pushrod activation, different compression ratio from the one currently used)
Old 25 Mar 2014, 03:03 (Ref:3383910)   #4
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I think for the V8's, it should take a leaf out of the TOCA book and implement a control/crate engine package. We all know that VESA has embraced individual technologies for the series (like flat pack, direct injection, etc, etc) but within that creates a whole storm of non parity. I've spoken to some of the drivers and team owners and they say that a control engine package is the way to go. The solution within the package is to implement newer tech to get away from the 20 year plus engine that Ford/GMH have used in the V8 Touring Car/V8 Supercar series. (DOHC, direct injection, abandoning the use of pushrod activation, different compression ratio from the one currently used)
That might be what the teams what - but my interest would be greatly diminished. However, define control engine package - do you mean all teams run the same spec and brand of engine? Yuk! Next thing, all footballers must be 195cm and 95kg.

Vivé le difference!
Old 25 Mar 2014, 04:08 (Ref:3383916)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
That might be what the teams what - but my interest would be greatly diminished. However, define control engine package - do you mean all teams run the same spec and brand of engine? Yuk! Next thing, all footballers must be 195cm and 95kg.

Vivé le difference!
You mean like a control chassis?
Old 25 Mar 2014, 06:10 (Ref:3383928)   #6
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I think for the V8's, it should take a leaf out of the TOCA book and implement a control/crate engine package.
The BTCC does not have a control engine. It does have an engine design available though for anyone wanting to use it (just like V8SC have offered to any manufacturer wanting to enter without a current V8 in their line-up)

Where does a 'control engine package' leave the "manufacturer integrity" that Mr Skaife said was a crucial part of the CotF model.

I can't imagine Volvo or Nissan being too interested in control engines, nor Ford either given that any control engine would probably be GM based

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey

Vivé le difference!
+1 , give me some difference, not 'spec-ness'
Old 25 Mar 2014, 06:27 (Ref:3383929)   #7
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
You mean like a control chassis?
OK, yeah, but was that the thin end of the wedge? I would prefer less control rather than more control. I dread the the day that the Bathurst 1000 ends up being less than 30 cars all running around with the same chassis/motor/transaxle/ecu/suspension, just with different clothes on. But then, I already think the 12 hour is a better event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five
given that any control engine would probably be GM based
I also think the GM motor would the most likely to be selected. But even though the latest iteration of the LS engine has direct injection (not yet sold in Oz), isn't it still OHV? I seriously hope all control engine talk is put back in the box, but if they have to, at least make it one of the DOHC options.