Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Mar 2014, 13:36 (Ref:3386054)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are 888 "...fluffing around..."

...or are they just ridiculously well resourced, obscenely well funded and staffed by a crew that is a team... And perhaps not a cost recovery centre...

Story Here

Is Mr Winterbottom right?

We might not like that 888 seems to win all the time, but it is very difficult to argue against their commitment & application...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 29 Mar 2014, 21:17 (Ref:3386233)   #2
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
T8 have such a technical advantage that it is ruining the series, and it is quite a joke that V8 supercars checks the engine specs of the multi-valve engines to make sure they don't have an advantage without dealing with the real problem of T8.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 21:26 (Ref:3386238)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The way lowndes came through the field I reckon they are fluffing around when in the lead
Old 29 Mar 2014, 22:04 (Ref:3386254)   #4
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK..... assuming that 888 are operating within the rules, and aren't using some unfair advantage, keeping in mind that every team in every race series ever, is always looking for that advantage or loophole that they can get away with, what do you do about it?
Oh....wait, maybe some ridiculous nit picking rule out of the fine print section of the regs! What a flicking joke.
Try explaining that one, to casual followers of the sport. The series seems hell bent on making a laughing stock out of itself.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 22:13 (Ref:3386256)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Imagine if they didn't keep doings stupid things.
3 stupid errors this year which are costing them points
Old 29 Mar 2014, 23:11 (Ref:3386274)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This old chestnut again.

They're the best team and drivers out there. Of course they're going to clean up! The regs were changed for last year, and they still came out on top.

Everyone else just needs to lift their game. Simple as that.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 23:16 (Ref:3386276)   #7
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True, everyone needs to lift their game, but 888 have such a speed advantage at the moment I think they are going to dominate this year as never before.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 23:58 (Ref:3386284)   #8
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Dream on..........what do you think everyone else has been doing for years now, sitting around scratching their bums?
Old 30 Mar 2014, 00:11 (Ref:3386291)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Dream on..........what do you think everyone else has been doing for years now, sitting around scratching their bums?
You might argue that some have been forced to focus more on securing commercial success in recent times than developing and maintaining a significant engineering structure....
Old 30 Mar 2014, 00:36 (Ref:3386297)   #10
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Obviously not, but they haven't made as many gains as RBRA have, simple as that!
Old 30 Mar 2014, 01:01 (Ref:3386304)   #11
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They generate a huge profit from their success. Not only from merchandise, but from selling their components and IP to other teams. All of this gets poured straight into their engineering aide of things. They've surpassed HRT, and Perkins before that, in doing this.

They have a dedicated marketing and PR team that are constantly on the phone to potential and existing backers. Look at the way they activate and nurture their sponsors. Look at the way DJR have come on in the last 12 months. A lot of their recent commercial success comes down to getting the team out there in the public spotlight.

Roland is no dill. This team is going to dominate for a long time to come, no matter what rules and regulations V8SC will dream up to artificially level out the field.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 01:26 (Ref:3386309)   #12
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB View Post
Obviously not, but they haven't made as many gains as RBRA have, simple as that!
In the meantime, at the conclusion of Clipsal every year, we all know which team is going to win the championship........the rest of the year is just a yawnfest.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 01:51 (Ref:3386310)   #13
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Roger can balance things a bit?

Old 30 Mar 2014, 04:34 (Ref:3386336)   #14
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
nah - Frosty just trying to stir things up a bit and as usual being clumsy about it - remember all that rubbish towards the end of last season?

888 are tough to beat, no doubt about it and to me the Frostmeister in those quotes is trying to have a bit of fun and also play the underdog card - just not doing so all that well.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 08:01 (Ref:3386377)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I would say Mr Winterbottom seems a lot mote calm these days, maybe a Bathurst win has unlocked something inside him?
Old 30 Mar 2014, 08:48 (Ref:3386393)   #16
NinnyMan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
NinnyMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They generate a huge profit from their success. Not only from merchandise, but from selling their components and IP to other teams. All of this gets poured straight into their engineering aide of things. They've surpassed HRT, and Perkins before that, in doing this.
Totally agree. T8 are a professional race team. The rest, sadly, are just pretending to be.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 10:54 (Ref:3386493)   #17
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I would say Mr Winterbottom seems a lot mote calm these days, maybe a Bathurst win has unlocked something inside him?
Makes sense - winning Bathurst is a big emotional hurdle to jump, no doubt about it.

He's never really been all that good at the jibes and public mind games stuff, he's probably better leaving it alone. He may be calmer but he's a top driver and should probably just let his driving do most of the talking in my view.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 23:44 (Ref:3386869)   #18
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But was it a jibe? It read to me more like an acknowledgement of T8's superiority at the minute.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 02:23 (Ref:3386901)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
But was it a jibe? It read to me more like an acknowledgement of T8's superiority at the minute.
Agreed.

and i had mentioned it in the tassie post before Frosty mentioned it.

They are just a better package all round at the moment, just shot themselves in the foot a few times this year
Old 31 Mar 2014, 02:30 (Ref:3386906)   #20
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Could be - maybe I got the wrong feeling from reading the quotes.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 02:37 (Ref:3386910)   #21
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
from the speedcafe article

Quote:
I think Craig showed his true pace (in that race),” said Winterbottom.

“I think they (Red Bull) are just fluffing around at the front sometimes. When he has to pass he pushes the NOS (Nitros Oxide System) and off he goes!
Old 31 Mar 2014, 04:16 (Ref:3386920)   #22
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This old chestnut again.

They're the best team and drivers out there. Of course they're going to clean up! The regs were changed for last year, and they still came out on top.

Totally True,

They Dominated with the Ford,
They Dominated with the Holden
They Dominated with the New Multi Car Series

THE Most Proffesional outfit seen in the history of V8s

And as much as I love Lowndes, JC seems to pull a rabbit out of a hat most times when its required especially gunning for pole. I hope for a changing of the guard soon and that CL gets that championship he has been chasing for so long.

Theres 888 and theres the rest sadly, possibly edging closer or are they?
Old 31 Mar 2014, 05:22 (Ref:3386927)   #23
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yeah where were conspiracy theorists when T8 was pantsing everyone in their FG? TRIPLE 8 RUN VE$I herp derp

They are just better than everybody else, more often than not.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 05:39 (Ref:3386929)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
yeah where were conspiracy theorists when T8 was pantsing everyone in their FG? TRIPLE 8 RUN VE$I herp derp

They are just better than everybody else, more often than not.
1st, that was 5 years ago
2nd they never pantsed anyone in an FG or Ford the best the 2nd car could manage was 4th. however they have finished 1-2 for the last 3 years in their Holden
Old 31 Mar 2014, 05:40 (Ref:3386930)   #25
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
1st, that was 5 years ago
2nd they never pantsed anyone in an FG or Ford the best the 2nd car could manage was 4th. however they have finished 1-2 for the last 3 years in their Holden
I know I am parroting the conspiracy crazies.

You can't argue that the 888 FG was the fastest thing on wheels at the time. just because JC managed to beat JW doesn't change that fact....