Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 25 May 2002, 19:39 (Ref:296087)   #1
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Park out?

According to Jayski..the rumors of Steve Park leaving are still floating around. He mentioned that he heard after the World 600 it might happen. I copied this from his site...

UPDATE 2: still hearing that Park will be out after the Coca Cola 600.(5-25-2002)

I guess as Yogi Berra said, it's deja vu all over again. Reminds me of Ricky Craven & Hendrick Motorsports. I'm a little biased because I've always liked Ricky.
Old 27 May 2002, 08:43 (Ref:297225)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
such is motorsport - best of luck to steve
Old 27 May 2002, 23:23 (Ref:298043)   #3
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lars, I think the similarities between Steve & Ricky may have been mentioned before. It's a real credit to Ricky that he has stuck with it, and now he has some results to show for his hard work and patience - including a well deserved 3rd this weekend.

I can't help but wonder if Steve has really recovered well enough to be back in the thick of things. He may need more time off. He has proved that he is a good racer, and if he has the mettle he will be back up front again - in due time.
Old 28 May 2002, 03:12 (Ref:298116)   #4
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope they give Steve the rest of the season to evaluate his performance. I think he is a talented driver but really the question is, who available that is any better than him? Park has proven that he can win.
Old 28 May 2002, 03:53 (Ref:298125)   #5
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They said they would decide in June- well that is just a few days away now.
Old 28 May 2002, 17:25 (Ref:298590)   #6
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Fan
Park has proven that he can win.
i agree with ya 100%. Took Ricky Craven a few years to get back on his feet & now he has a win to show for it & finished strong in a lot of races this year as well as last. Steve already has two wins & is a good driver.
Old 1 Jun 2002, 12:26 (Ref:302255)   #7
Roselady3
Veteran

Well RCR isn't known for his patience. I don't think Richard will be waiting around for Park to pick up the pieces & get back to being a contender. I may be wrong- But I look for RCR to be making an announcement soon. Poor Steve.

Hey! It looks like I have been here for a year this month. Where is my cake?

Last edited by Roselady3; 1 Jun 2002 at 12:28.
Old 1 Jun 2002, 20:28 (Ref:302505)   #8
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats he problem with getting an injury and spending a long time out. When you come back, rumours start of you leaving, as there are younger drivers waiting to take your seat.
Old 1 Jun 2002, 21:57 (Ref:302533)   #9
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Quote:
Originally posted by Roselady3
Well RCR isn't known for his patience. I don't think Richard will be waiting around for Park to pick up the pieces & get back to being a contender. I may be wrong- But I look for RCR to be making an announcement soon. Poor Steve.

Hey! It looks like I have been here for a year this month. Where is my cake?
I'll even give ya a little peck on the cheek if you want...*G*. But remember the last time you made this announcement at SCF??? I noticed you were off by a month...lol.
Old 2 Jun 2002, 01:14 (Ref:302596)   #10
Roselady3
Veteran

Yeah--- Party Pooper! (oppppss Sorry- Name Calling) This time I double checked!
Old 2 Jun 2002, 01:17 (Ref:302599)   #11
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uhhmm... Rosie Dear? I never thought I'd be telling you this, but Steve Park doesn't drive for RCR.

Quote:
From Steve Park's Website

Steve Park and "The Call"

Pennzoil Monte Carlo driver Steve Park didn't believe that the voice on his answering machine one summer afternoon in 1996 was that of seven-time Winston Cup champion Dale Earnhardt. So, he ignored the message, until Earnhardt called back. After playing the message to his mother Dorothy for verification, Park returned the call. That led the modified star to drive Earnhardt's Busch car and ultimately the #1 Pennzoil Monte Carlo on the Winston Cup Circuit in 1998. Here is the story in Park's own words:

"I raced 104 races that year. I was racing about four nights a week and pretty much on the go all the time. I came home one afternoon with just enough time to change clothes, check messages and get a bite to eat before leaving that evening for another race. When I checked, there were about twenty messages on my machine, so I'm buzzing through them, taking down the important ones. In the middle of all the messages came the voice of some guy saying he was Dale Earnhardt, and he was looking for a guy by the name of Steve Park. I kinda just laughed and continued on my way. I have a lot of friends who like to play a lot of jokes, so I figured that was just somebody messing with me.

"I took all the messages and left that evening and didn't come home for about three days. When I got back to the apartment, there was another message from him. He wasn't as nice as he was the first time. I thought I might want to check this out, so I called my Mom, who is a big Dale Earnhardt fan. I didn't get to watch too many races back then because we were gone so much, so I really wasn't familiar with how his voice sounded. I was living in Connecticut at the time, so I called home to New York and asked Mom if this was really Dale Earnhardt's voice.

"I still kinda thought this was one of my friends playing a joke. I hit the play button on the answering machine and held the phone close to the machine so Mom could listen to the message. I said, 'What do you think?' and there was no answer from her. I said "Mom are you there?" and she said, "That's him...I know his voice, and that's him.' I still wasn't totally convinced. I was thinking for a minute it was him, then I thought it wasn't him. I just wasn't sure.

"He left a telephone number, so I called it, and a lady answered 'Dale Earnhardt Incorporated.' I said, 'This may sound crazy, but this is Steve Park, and there is someone who says he's Dale Earnhardt who keeps calling my apartment leaving messages that he wants to talk to me.' She said, 'Hang on one second' and put (team manager) Ty Norris on the phone. He says, 'Hey, buddy, we've been trying to get a hold of you for a while.' I almost passed out.

"Ty said Dale wanted to meet with me and asked which airport was closest to my house. Then he said, 'Let me call you back; I know that Dale wants to talk to you.' I figured if they were serious they would call me back, and sure enough they did, in 15 minutes. Ty asked if I could be at the airport at 8 a.m. the next day so Dale could send his plane for me. I was like, 'You've got to be kidding.' So, I called a friend and asked him to go with me to the airport and to pinch me if I was losing my mind. We got up the next morning and went out to the airport.

"We waited, and sure enough, Dale's plane lands, and me and my buddy pressed our noses against the glass watching it land. I said, 'I can't believe this,' and he said he couldn't either. The two pilots climbed off, and I climbed in. I was the only one in the back of the plane.

"When I got down there, Dale gave me a tour of his farm and his house. At first I thought he flew me down there because he wanted a new friend. Later he took me to his race shop and to Kannapolis and showed me around. That was really neat because not many people get to see the real Dale Earnhardt. Dale told me the chemistry just wasn't there with his Busch team and that he wanted to make a change for the 1997 season. I thought, 'Why does he want me...I'm nothing special.' I guess you could say the rest is history.

"The only bad thing about that phone call now is that I have always prided myself on having a state-of-the-art digital answering machine. But you couldn't save the message because of the computer chip. I'd love to have that answering machine message."
Old 2 Jun 2002, 01:21 (Ref:302601)   #12
Roselady3
Veteran

Oopppsss Brain Fart. THAT will teach me to post early in the morning before my full dosage of Starbucks. DEI- RCR- kinda all the same thing. Kinda.
Old 2 Jun 2002, 01:33 (Ref:302605)   #13
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I knew that was it. You were suffering from LOSS (Lack Of Starbucks Syndrome) Thank God it's only temporary.
Old 2 Jun 2002, 15:02 (Ref:302826)   #14
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Quote:
Oopppsss Brain Fart.
I could say something here...but I won't.
Old 3 Jun 2002, 23:19 (Ref:303917)   #15
Roselady3
Veteran

Ha Ha Ha Ha- You'd better not!

Remember I still have them boxing gloves!!!!!!
Old 4 Jun 2002, 03:25 (Ref:304029)   #16
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Quote:
Ha Ha Ha Ha- You'd better not!

Remember I still have them boxing gloves!!!!!!
Old 4 Jun 2002, 13:36 (Ref:304431)   #17
Roselady3
Veteran

SEE???
You are scared !!!
After all- I AM scary!
Old 13 Jun 2002, 03:46 (Ref:312199)   #18
24thunder
Veteran

24thunder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RE:Tim B.

Thanks 4 the nice link on Steve Park & Dale Earnhardt,hadn't seen that b4 & it was kind of amusing.Hope He stays in the #1 DEI car tho,do have doubts tho if He's 100% yet or not!
#24,1995,1997,1998,2001 Champion,1991 Busch ROTY,1993 Nextel Cup ROTY,3 Daytona 500 victories,5 Southern 500 victories,4 time Brickyard 400 winner,3 Coca-Cola 600 wins,8 road course(record)victories!