Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 31 Dec 2007, 16:28 (Ref:2097146)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Twin Arch raceway

Twin Arch raceway named for it's famous bridge where the circuit not just goes over it, but also passing through each arch in a different direction.

Measuring 7.5 km/4.68 miles, and running anti clockwise, it consists of 17 turns. Of these 10 are left handed and 7 are right. The landscape is such that the circuit spans a gentle valley, which the signature Bridge spans.

The Start finsh line cut into the vally side to be level, is 880m in length, before entering T1, a tight left hander that gradually drops away on exit. THe exit itself leads straight into the righthanded T2 which levels out onto the level of the Bridge deck.
The Bridge straight as it's known is 530m long of which 300m is the bridge deck.
Bridge straight leads into the second possible overtaking point, the right-left Chicane consisting of Turns 3 and 4. The ground begins to gently rise on that side of the valley the apex of T3.
The Ground continues to rise through the the first section of the T5 & 6 double left hander, reaching a high point at the apex of T6.
From T6 the circuit sweeps down into the valley, through the fast and slightly off camber T7 and along the 600m+ straight.
From the straight hard breaking is required for the right handed T8 another overtaking point. T8, 9 and 10 are collectively known as the Curl, where T8 while tight lasts more than 180 degrees which starts off level, and goes uphill before exiting directly into the downhill entry hairpin like left hander of T9 which turns back uphill on as it in turn opens out before dropping downhill again through T10 levelling out on to the longest straight on the Circuit.
With speed building through T10, Valley straight is the fastest point on the race track, it's 1.1 km length allowing speeds in excess of 320kmh/200mph under the bridge before braking into the pbvious overtaking point of T11.
T11 is a right hander, that gradually climbs on exit up to the positively cambered parabolic T12, which changes from up hill to down hill. Overtaking at T12 might be possible, however T13 offers the chance straight back.
The Entrance to T13 is down hill, back into the valley, and has a hairpin nature, levelling out on the valley floor at the apex before passing under the other arch of the bridge slowly climbing away from the bottom of the valley on the 700m+ straight that leads into the second chicane and another overtaking chance.
The T14-15 chicane like the first one is a right then left, however it's much tighter, and in this case the Apex of the first part drops away downhill to T15 which levels briefly at the apex before climbing back up the side of the Valley.
The penultimate corner T16 is really just a flick to the left that sets up for T17 the final corner. This is still up hill from T16 though it flattens out on the apex, giving an off camber effect. This is the final overtaking chance where the corner design calls for an early apex before running out on the adverse camber onto the straight.

Comments citicisms and possible edits are welcome as always.
Attached Thumbnails
curly copy.png  
Old 31 Dec 2007, 18:15 (Ref:2097207)   #2
kivipallur92
Racer

Estonia
kivipallur92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting shape. I like it.

RIP Colin McRae (5 August 1968– 15 September 2007)
Old 2 Jan 2008, 17:04 (Ref:2098130)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like it. The bit around the paddock doesn't grab me as being especially interesting. I like the rest though.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 17:09 (Ref:2098720)   #4
GT VIRUS
Rookie

GT VIRUS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey

I'm a regular visitor but rare poster. I just have to say, that track is unbelievable!. I think its a great layout The bridge could be either a modern flat bridge like Suzuka, or as i imagine it, 2 small tunnels like you see in mountain passes.

I think the layout could work either way (when i saw it first i thought is went the other way). The slow chicane really works when you put the elevation into it. Fantastic piece of design
Old 3 Jan 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2098799)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome GT VIRUS, and thanks for the comments. As for the bridge, as the title suggests, it is a very specific type. with 2 arches which the track passes through, very much in the style of multiarch viaducts.

Perhaps something like this beauty, but obviously with a slightly higher arch.
Attached Thumbnails
BohinjArchA.jpg  
Old 4 Jan 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2099343)   #6
GT VIRUS
Rookie

GT VIRUS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking just like the old bridge in monaco, like this (taken from a 3d program that was having a bad day)

Old 4 Jan 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2099347)   #7
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd never be feasible to have a bridge like that because of the speeds you'd reach down the straight, it'd have to be some kind of suspension bridge or something.
Old 4 Jan 2008, 21:17 (Ref:2099504)   #8
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ah yes, thats the corner beore the tunnel if im right?
Old 5 Jan 2008, 12:19 (Ref:2100055)   #9
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Portier

Nice track. Couple of banked corners would do the trick