Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Nov 2008, 20:28 (Ref:2337180)   #1
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Spa 6 Hours, 2009 - Not the event, yet!

Well somebody had to do it, right?
Old 18 Nov 2008, 20:37 (Ref:2337184)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Will there be any MGBs there?
I'll get me coat.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 20:40 (Ref:2337186)   #3
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard there will be two classes for MGBs, one for the legal ones and one for the others.

Old 18 Nov 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2337188)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Will there be any MGBs there?
I'll get me coat.
hahaha that must be a record for the Spa 6 Hour - MGB's on second post! Falcemob we might not agree on the race series thread but I salute your humour here!
Old 18 Nov 2008, 21:04 (Ref:2337210)   #5
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
First 4 out of five posts mention B's and Peter and Terrance the Fen Tiger are yet to start.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2337260)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In all the time I've been bored enough to post on here,I have never been the one to start on about Bs,I have only ever answered others questions and tried to be helpfull,obviously not good enough,over to you John!.How about a short thread on pre-war?

Last edited by terence; 18 Nov 2008 at 22:20.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 22:48 (Ref:2337297)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Getting on well with MGB rebuild in Delta workshop with our Terrance advice.Will have to see if the owner wants to do 6 hour race.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 01:27 (Ref:2337351)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
There will be a Pre War race on Spa 6 hr bill and lets hope it includes a few MG's in 09 as they failed to show in 08.14 Bentley buses last year as well as Altas,Aston's,Riley's,Morgans,Talbot,Bugatti,Nash and BMW.Some were totally original and others the odd mod.Fastest lap in Practise 3 18 with Alta.Race won by Aston with mods which beat Bugatti on last lap.Two 30 min races would be so much better than the hour.Some of the Woodcote boys are buying Pre War cars to cover both races.

Thats pre war covered and as there are no other pre war posters apart from the occasional Patch effort it will be a short and concise coverage.Over to you boys.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 07:56 (Ref:2337429)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Woodcote is a cracking series and if I could find level swap fopr my Merlyn I would be very tempted...
Old 19 Nov 2008, 08:23 (Ref:2337436)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I like pre war, but I'm just not built for it! there's plent of LWB cars they're just all SWB cockpits!
Old 19 Nov 2008, 08:35 (Ref:2337444)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If we're taking our favourite cars then pre war it'd be a Frash Nurburg with Meadows engine and post war, a TT rep with Bristol engine.

Tim,

In answer to your question, I hope not because you'll never stop Drabble from talking about them.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 08:39 (Ref:2337446)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

Peter - haven't you heard? JR, Roger and I are going to share a nutty one in Sideway's race next year...
Old 19 Nov 2008, 08:42 (Ref:2337449)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track oilers.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 08:50 (Ref:2337453)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Simon, I can see you and Roger in one but you'd never get JR in with you!
Old 19 Nov 2008, 08:54 (Ref:2337454)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

a GT - he can go in the back!! you mentioned how quick they are and I guess you are talking specifically about that modsports one with a full racing V8 - well to be fair it runs on slicks and should be very quick! And before you say anything I actually like it as its not pretending to be historic its just out to have fun, and whilst I am at it - full marks for the Rover this year, talk about wacky racers!!!
Old 19 Nov 2008, 09:03 (Ref:2337463)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well,

Yes it runs as part of the MGCC BCV8 championship. Has some interesting history which I bored folks with on another forum, however in a nutshell it started life as a full race 1950, (somewhat more radical than the normal 1950 you see running at Spa) but was turned into a V8 and won the championship in the hands of the man who at one time held the world land speed record for a fire tender!

As an aside in 1976 the Works entered a Group 5 car which is now owned by Malcolm Beer.

The Rover is based on an original works backed car that ran in the late 60's. The original still exists BTW.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 11:08 (Ref:2337536)   #17
JP12
Rookie

England
Bristol
JP12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assume you guys are talking about the white MGB V8 that was near the front of the grid in the British Sports and GT race which was driven by Adrian Beer and Andrew Riley. If so, what is so special about it? It looked like a normal BCV8 Class C V8 car to me, and it was running on R888s not slicks. I thought it was going very well for what it is.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2337541)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Four people even my size and Zefs length can get into Talbot105!Terry,track oilers,thats old carism.as bad as ageism.Didn't know they did that ,which particular car?I thought a B dropped oil at Spa,the red one.Look at the You Tube clip on Tour Espania thread and see how easy it is to drive one of these old bangers
Old 19 Nov 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2337548)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP12
I assume you guys are talking about the white MGB V8 that was near the front of the grid in the British Sports and GT race which was driven by Adrian Beer and Andrew Riley. If so, what is so special about it? It looked like a normal BCV8 Class C V8 car to me, and it was running on R888s not slicks. I thought it was going very well for what it is.
Simon is talking about the roadster which is in FT colours, not the GT. If the GT is Malcolm Beer's car then it is the original Works Group 5 car from 1976. See MG by McComb.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2337583)   #20
JP12
Rookie

England
Bristol
JP12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Simon is talking about the roadster which is in FT colours, not the GT. If the GT is Malcolm Beer's car then it is the original Works Group 5 car from 1976. See MG by McComb.
That's the one, the roadster with a white and cream FT colour scheme. Do tell about the interesting history.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 15:34 (Ref:2337685)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett in a previous post
Well,

Yes it runs as part of the MGCC BCV8 championship. Has some interesting history which I bored folks with on another forum, however in a nutshell it started life as a full race 1950, (somewhat more radical than the normal 1950 you see running at Spa) but was turned into a V8 and won the championship in the hands of the man who at one time held the world land speed record for a fire tender!

As an aside in 1976 the Works entered a Group 5 car which is now owned by Malcolm Beer.

The Rover is based on an original works backed car that ran in the late 60's. The original still exists BTW.
The story of the fire tender goes like this:

The then owner of said car is a journalist and was at the time the Motor Industry editor for the FT. He went to the salt flats with Thrusts one and two. He got the record by driving the Jaguar that was fitted out with fire gear. He would be started at an angle of 30-45 degrees from the track that thrust would run on and as he got to top speed (150mph?) he would turn parallel with the record track and Thrust would be let go. His description of driving at 150mph when Thrust went past at 600mph plus was quite interesting.

The car was originally built by Tony Price for said journo as a 1950 full race Class C spec BCV8 car after the journo's previous car had been wrecked quite spectacularly by a Jaguar XJS at the Bus Stop in (I think May) 1989. When Malcolm Beer developed the class C regs he (Malcolm) converted it to the controlled V8 spec that it runs now.

It was re commissioned about five years ago by Cheng Lim (driver of that fake snake).

So the history is really about the owners not the car.............. sorry.

Must say it is good to see Andrew really getting it going well now. I know he struggled with it to begin with.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 05:47 (Ref:2338142)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Four people even my size and Zefs length can get into Talbot105!Terry,track oilers,thats old carism.as bad as ageism.Didn't know they did that ,which particular car?I thought a B dropped oil at Spa,the red one.Look at the You Tube clip on Tour Espania thread and see how easy it is to drive one of these old bangers

I know Bentley four and a halfs are really nice to drive
Old 20 Nov 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2338247)   #23
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Not one that I have driven and anyway would not want a tractor!
Old 20 Nov 2008, 13:28 (Ref:2338301)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Talbots are ok, as is the Riley, once your knees are dislocated to get past the steering wheel
Old 25 Nov 2008, 02:04 (Ref:2341170)   #25
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett

The car was originally built by Tony Price for said journo as a 1950 full race Class C spec BCV8 car after the journo's previous car had been wrecked quite spectacularly by a Jaguar XJS at the Bus Stop in (I think May) 1989. When Malcolm Beer developed the class C regs he (Malcolm) converted it to the controlled V8 spec that it runs now.
Spot on. The car was built next to my 'original' MGB by T&L. As you say the car runs a controlled V8 - the BCV8 Class D cars ie full race V8s are MUCH quicker.

Haven't seen John G (said journo) for a while - does he still have/race his 935?

Tags
historic racing