Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 8 Sep 2011, 17:55 (Ref:2952832)   #126
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Is this the idea ? To impact USA or to make a growing but steady fan base, year by year ?
You can't show it to the US televisions audience, as they'll be switched onto ESPN for the Cup finale.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 18:20 (Ref:2952851)   #127
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You can't show it to the US televisions audience, as they'll be switched onto ESPN for the Cup finale.
Yes, that's correct.
Old 9 Sep 2011, 04:41 (Ref:2953012)   #128
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Yes, that's correct.
How are they to get a fanbase if no one is watching.
Old 9 Sep 2011, 08:14 (Ref:2953038)   #129
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Not to mention the various games going on in the NFL.
Old 11 Sep 2011, 02:45 (Ref:2953688)   #130
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't know if this has been posted or not, but this article is a few month old and in regard to moving a potential UT game...

http://www.statesman.com/sports/long...2-1392384.html

Maybe a tie in to the game would be a better idea? $10 off a ticket at the gate if you bring your UT game stub or something along those lines. What do the Texans on the board think about that?
Old 11 Sep 2011, 03:35 (Ref:2953698)   #131
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I don't know if this has been posted or not, but this article is a few month old and in regard to moving a potential UT game...

http://www.statesman.com/sports/long...2-1392384.html

Maybe a tie in to the game would be a better idea? $10 off a ticket at the gate if you bring your UT game stub or something along those lines. What do the Texans on the board think about that?
Go to the UT game, present your ticket stub and get free general admission would be better.
Kids U15 free also gets a lot of adults dragged in for a day out by the kids. Develop future fans for Pete's sake!
Old 13 Sep 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2954966)   #132
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
If Jimmie Johnson is leading big and working on his 7th consecutive Cup Championship there IS a chance some folks might skip watching the Homestead finale.

Is there any work going on at the track in Austin or has the money dried up for the time being which begs the question: if the state monies are being held up because of the rules for disbursement, does the schedule change really give the developers more time to finish the track?
Old 14 Sep 2011, 00:01 (Ref:2955201)   #133
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Yes I was told today by someone who I think should know that work is on schedule and the elevation change at the circuit will be quite something....
Old 14 Sep 2011, 00:35 (Ref:2955209)   #134
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Yes I was told today by someone who I think should know that work is on schedule and the elevation change at the circuit will be quite something....
Love circuits with elevation changes, the bigger the better, looking forward to seeing this one completed!
Old 14 Sep 2011, 00:39 (Ref:2955210)   #135
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
130FT is what I was told...
Old 14 Sep 2011, 00:50 (Ref:2955217)   #136
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
130FT is what I was told...
Great, so much better than flat, look forward to seeing the racing there!

Wish they could go to Laguna as well!
Old 14 Sep 2011, 00:55 (Ref:2955220)   #137
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Me too! I hope it all works out...
Old 15 Sep 2011, 18:53 (Ref:2956056)   #138
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's a comment from someone yesterday in response to an article in the Austin paper about the change of date for the race.

By Brian W. Keyes
September 13, 2011 7:07 PM
When are they going to start building vertical? I went by the track today and saw empty lunch benchs under empty tents and counted twelve cars in the parking lot…Well 19 cars if you count the security at the front gates and the other five back by the tan trailer offices. Still waiting on the draw from the bank?

So it looks like work at the track has been at a standstill for more than three weeks. Some say this is "normal," but I have never seen a major construction project stop for 3+ weeks for a reason other than financial problems or safety considerations.

It makes me wonder whether the track developers actually have the funds they need to continue building. If you have the money to pay people, why just stop work on such a big project? It's not as if the construction companies and workers don't need the work. We are still in the midst of an epic slump in the construction business.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2956071)   #139
Spritle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
So it looks like work at the track has been at a standstill for more than three weeks. Some say this is "normal," but I have never seen a major construction project stop for 3+ weeks for a reason other than financial problems or safety considerations.

It makes me wonder whether the track developers actually have the funds they need to continue building. If you have the money to pay people, why just stop work on such a big project? It's not as if the construction companies and workers don't need the work. We are still in the midst of an epic slump in the construction business.
If my totally unfounded suspicions are correct, one has to believe that Texas law is holding up the state funds due to the change in the USGP date. If the law isn't the problem things should get going again soon, if it is a problem expect work to resume around...

...November 19th.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2956102)   #140
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
If my totally unfounded suspicions are correct, one has to believe that Texas law is holding up the state funds due to the change in the USGP date. If the law isn't the problem things should get going again soon, if it is a problem expect work to resume around...

...November 19th.
But no state funds go towards construction, so the release of that money has nothing to do with construction timetables. The $25M/year is for Bernie's fee. Construction $ come from Red McCombs and other investors...whoever the heck they are (we don't know).
Old 17 Sep 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2956914)   #141
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Maybe this has something to do with the holdup in construction.

City to begin plan to annex F1 track
by John Maher
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Friday, Sept. 16, 2011

Austin City Council is taking a first step toward annexing Circuit of the Americas, a racetrack in southeastern Travis County that is scheduled to host its first Formula One Grand Prix late next year.

Council members are expected Thursday to set public hearing dates regarding the possible annexation, which could be completed by the end of this year.

Annexation extends the city's regulatory authority on the site as well as its ability to assess taxes on the land and structures, said Virginia Collier, a city planner...

Vertical construction is set to begin soon, and officials hope to have the project completed in time for the first race, scheduled for November 2012.

Old 17 Sep 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2957055)   #142
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Business as Usual . . .

I wonder if that was being "processed/studied" all along and the various political delays were just a `smokescreen' until they were sure of their position.

With the annexation will come all kinds of new regulations including "Operating Hours", permits for the individuall businesses and . . . .

Old 17 Sep 2011, 21:32 (Ref:2957106)   #143
Spritle
Veteran

Government ruins everything!
Old 22 Sep 2011, 20:20 (Ref:2959705)   #144
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More information

Don't give up on the scenery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WRpB...layer_embedded .
Old 22 Sep 2011, 23:37 (Ref:2959783)   #145
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Not so sure I understand the point of this, but RedBull do...
Old 23 Sep 2011, 00:08 (Ref:2959791)   #146
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
A reply

Quote:
Not so sure I understand the point of this, but RedBull do...
There was some money left in advetising budget?
Old 23 Sep 2011, 00:10 (Ref:2959792)   #147
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
There was some money left in advetising budget?
Austin will deliver the goods is all I know...
Old 23 Sep 2011, 06:44 (Ref:2959836)   #148
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
0748BST-Whilst I was looking at this thread the BBCTV news reported from Austin,David Coultard driving a Red Bull with the coment 'looks like they have some work to do' They are not kidding-looks like the desert whereas plan above looks like a city centre?
Old 23 Sep 2011, 17:40 (Ref:2960053)   #149
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
...'looks like they have some work to do' They are not kidding-looks like the desert whereas plan above looks like a city centre?
Don't worry, as soon as those subcontractors get the money they're owed for work already performed, they will get to work on "vertical" construction. But if I were one of those subcontractors, I would ask to get paid up front from now on.
Old 25 Sep 2011, 15:09 (Ref:2960695)   #150
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Explanation on Sept. 24 of why work has mostly stopped on the construction of the Austin F1 track:

Road improvements on FM 812 delay vertical construction at the track
By John Maher
STATESMAN.com
Saturday, Sept. 24, 2011

Construction of buildings and grandstands at the Circuit of the Americas racetrack in southeastern Travis County has been delayed until crews complete road improvements near the main entrance, said Jeff Hahn, a spokesman for the track.

The Texas Department of Transportation is widening FM 812 near the entrance to create turn lanes on both sides, said Terry McCoy, TxDOT's director of transportation planning and development for the Austin district. The work began Sept. 15 and should be completed in October, McCoy said.

Circuit construction will begin shortly after, Hahn said...

Explanation on Aug. 22 of why work has mostly stopped on the construction of the Austin F1 track:

Has work stopped on F1 track?
statesman.com
By Eric Dexheimer | Monday, August 22, 2011

We here at the American-Statesman have received several anonymous phone calls in recent days from people who asserted that work had ceased at Circuit of the Americas, the new purpose-built Formula One track being constructed southeast of Austin.

One of the callers even said that the project’s general contractor, Austin Commercial, had called a meeting of subcontractors last week and instructed them to go home for a couple of weeks; there was no money to pay them...

His [circuit spokesman Jeff Hahn] explanation for any appearance of non-activity at the 900-acre site: The construction work is phased. Thanks to the dry weather, he added, early work has moved ahead quicker than planned. But because the construction phases also include a timetable for payments to be released, Hahn said, it’s likely that contractors now must wait a few days for the next installment...

“We’re matching the (bank) draw schedule to the construction schedule,” he said...