Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 May 2013, 22:01 (Ref:3248150)   #376
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Here's an interesting article from Autosport outlining the technical implications of Pirelli changing the tyres.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107432
Oh my...
Old 16 May 2013, 00:22 (Ref:3248189)   #377
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Here's an interesting article from Autosport outlining the technical implications of Pirelli changing the tyres.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107432

Suck it up princesses, if there was a decent tyre war on the go you could end up with these changes 4 or 5 times year.
Old 16 May 2013, 00:28 (Ref:3248191)   #378
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Suck it up princesses, if there was a decent tyre war on the go you could end up with these changes 4 or 5 times year.
Indeed. That would really shake things up.
Old 16 May 2013, 00:30 (Ref:3248192)   #379
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Indeed.

What's a "racing tyre"?

Even if they built a "racing tyre" to last the whole of the race, it's still possible that they are going to favour one team (Red Bull) over any other. If our only answer to that is that the other teams should 'step up', then that's likely to result in calls for other changes to F1.

It's not like the tyres don't fit the wheels, is it? As with the McLaren ECU, it's then up to you to get the best out of them.

You're still not quite telling us exactly what it is you want.

If a proper racing tyre favors RBR the rest of the teams can get their heads around the tyres and make it happen, the results may well be worth watching!
Might even necessitate getting the best possible drivers intoF1 and not a bunch of pay monkeys!

The tyres may actually fit the rims, but they are not fit for purpose; racing; at all. Keep running over 'debris' and exploding!
Old 16 May 2013, 01:02 (Ref:3248200)   #380
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
If a proper racing tyre favors RBR the rest of the teams can get their heads around the tyres and make it happen, the results may well be worth watching!
There seems to be this notion that harder tyres will actually make the 'racing' better. All I can see is Red Bull running away with things (which in itself will get most 'fans' inevitably moaning again) and all of the other teams that had a good understanding of the current tyres (Ferrari, Lotus, Force India, even STR) will be fighting it out for second (If Webber continues to be a real number 2 driver) or third places on the rostrum.

Quote:
Might even necessitate getting the best possible drivers intoF1 and not a bunch of pay monkeys!
That's the fault of F1. Money brings more performance than any top driver ever would. 20 million on the car beats, all day long, 20 million for a driver.

Quote:
The tyres may actually fit the rims, but they are not fit for purpose; racing; at all. Keep running over 'debris' and exploding!
I agree that the tyres should be a bit more durable (two stop races) and should not have chunks of rubber flying off them. Other than that, they're OK, IMO.
Old 16 May 2013, 01:23 (Ref:3248202)   #381
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Are you talking to yourself again..
Old 16 May 2013, 01:50 (Ref:3248208)   #382
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I agree that the tyres should be a bit more durable (two stop races) and should not have chunks of rubber flying off them. Other than that, they're OK, IMO.
There's something wrong !
Old 16 May 2013, 04:19 (Ref:3248224)   #383
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
When did you get hired by Pirelli then, because now the melody of the tune has changed somewhat..

I like the chorus though...
Old 16 May 2013, 08:22 (Ref:3248287)   #384
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Pirelli can bring back boring processional racing, if that's what fans and teams want. Sounds like Pirelli have completely misunderstood the situation.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107415
That is the saddest article I have ever read relating to F1.

I like the way Hembery makes out that Pirelli are the sole saviours of F1 and then, in the next breath, says that the tyres are nothing to do with them and it is all down to the FIA and F1. Imagine being that stupid.

However, it was this bit that really got me:

Quote:
"It is a bit bizarre - unless you all want us to give tyres to Red Bull to help them win the championship, which appears to be the case.
Pirelli's mandate is to stop specific teams winning championships! Sport at its very, very best!

Pirelli, please pack up your small time mentality, blame culture and tinpot tyres and get out of motorsport altogether. Please.
Old 16 May 2013, 08:38 (Ref:3248293)   #385
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
That is the saddest article I have ever read relating to F1.

I like the way Hembery makes out that Pirelli are the sole saviours of F1 and then, in the next breath, says that the tyres are nothing to do with them and it is all down to the FIA and F1. Imagine being that stupid.

Pirelli's mandate is to stop specific teams winning championships! Sport at its very, very best!

Pirelli, please pack up your small time mentality, blame culture and tinpot tyres and get out of motorsport altogether. Please.
I hope Pirelli does not get a new contract at the end of this season , Pirelli the saviours of F1
Old 16 May 2013, 09:48 (Ref:3248325)   #386
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

You'll get no hassle from me if Red Bull go on to win both championships at the end of the season, and continue to do so until the end of the decade.

Red Bull were asked to supply tyres that mirrored the 2010 Canadian GP - the race that we all hated so much....well, perhaps some of us did.
Old 16 May 2013, 11:05 (Ref:3248352)   #387
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, it was a good race. But you can't artificially re-create it, it is impossible. It was a one-off.

It also didn't have tyre failures left right and centre all weekend, simply a high, but linear, wear rate which affected everyone in much the same way. Thus there was none of this "err, not sure if the tyres will go off, should I wave everyone past? Oh hold on the tyres are fine. No, no, they've gone. What did I do?"
Old 16 May 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3248380)   #388
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Red Bull were asked to supply tyres that mirrored the 2010 Canadian GP - the race that we all hated so much....well, perhaps some of us did.
Ah, so Red Bull is behind all this, they are the real suppliers !
Old 16 May 2013, 13:11 (Ref:3248397)   #389
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Ah, so Red Bull is behind all this, they are the real suppliers !
oops!

Perhaps the teams should make their own tyres? Isn't that how it should really be done?
Old 16 May 2013, 13:31 (Ref:3248407)   #390
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

It also didn't have tyre failures left right and centre all weekend, simply a high, but linear, wear rate which affected everyone in much the same way. Thus there was none of this "err, not sure if the tyres will go off, should I wave everyone past? Oh hold on the tyres are fine. No, no, they've gone. What did I do?"
No, it didn't have tyre failures, Bridgestone had seen to it, or so they thought, that the tyres would, under normal circumstances, be capable of completing a race distance regardless of the compound used, and the Monza GP that year demonstrated that to be more than true. Only the enforced tyre change saw anyone needing to dive into the pits at all.

At the 2010 Canadian GP we saw exactly the same as what happened at the Spanish GP, but no one was expecting it to happen. So you didn't get any driver asking if they should wave anyone by, etc. It was just a quick call to the pits to say that they were coming in 'now' for fresh tyres.

Ironically, we got the same effect from the Bridgestone tyres at the Canadian GP because the tyre compound was too hard and couldn't get into its working temperature range.

Be careful what you wish for because you might just get it.
Old 16 May 2013, 14:05 (Ref:3248423)   #391
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Alright Paul, well I'll let you logoff and get on with the new spec tyres. Best of luck.
Old 16 May 2013, 14:28 (Ref:3248427)   #392
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For what it's worth I think it's ridiculous for Pirelli to have caved in to the continuing whining of one team who only exist to sell fizzy drinks to the public.

If they can't build a car that works properly with the tyres they are given then they should try harder, not moan all the time when they don't dominate.
Old 16 May 2013, 15:11 (Ref:3248439)   #393
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

But Pirelli are building tyres to claw Red Bull back.

Basically they have been told, or decided to, build tyres to waste all the hard won sporting advantage Red Bull have. And when they get the hang of the tyres, they change it around again.

I can't imagine this helps other teams in terms of catching up to Red Bull technically either.
Old 16 May 2013, 18:36 (Ref:3248489)   #394
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Boullier gets on the case.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107453
Old 16 May 2013, 18:56 (Ref:3248498)   #395
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree entirely with Boullier.

It's quite an extraordinary decision made to favour one team specifically, I think Mercedes may have a rather different problem from Red Bull, although it may well give them some respite.

I too can't imagine any other "sport" giving in to pressure and changing the rules like this.

Oh well, what's done is done. I just hope the other smaller teams like Enstone can still make progress, albeit with a fraction of the resources.
Old 16 May 2013, 19:03 (Ref:3248504)   #396
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
whatever i may think about the tires, i also agree with Boullier that changing them part way through the season is plain wrong. it should be left for the off season.

you cant correct an unsporting situation with another unsporting decision.
Old 16 May 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3248551)   #397
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would like to ask Bouiller if he thinks it would be fair if the FIFA introduced some changes in the football regulations to prevent a team from winning 4 consecutives World championships and help worse teams to have a better chance at it.
I think (hope) he would agree that stopping a team winning streak it's not the responsability/job of the FIFA, but a task that the rival teams should accomplish by themselves, improving their game and playing better football.

That's what competing is.
Old 16 May 2013, 21:09 (Ref:3248556)   #398
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
They effectively changed the Michelin tyre spec with (4?) races to go in 2003? A somewhat different scenario and a different "issue" but it still stands that Michelin were forced to change their tyres at a crucial point of the season.
Old 17 May 2013, 00:22 (Ref:3248630)   #399
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post
I would like to ask Bouiller if he thinks it would be fair if the FIFA introduced some changes in the football regulations to prevent a team from winning 4 consecutives World championships and help worse teams to have a better chance at it.
I think (hope) he would agree that stopping a team winning streak it's not the responsability/job of the FIFA, but a task that the rival teams should accomplish by themselves, improving their game and playing better football.

That's what competing is.
Agreed. F1 is a spending competition, just like football is. You play better football by buying better players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
They effectively changed the Michelin tyre spec with (4?) races to go in 2003? A somewhat different scenario and a different "issue" but it still stands that Michelin were forced to change their tyres at a crucial point of the season.
You're not supposed to mention the bad stuff about tyre wars.
Old 17 May 2013, 01:51 (Ref:3248657)   #400
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Changing spec tyres during the middle of the year is a joke, especially with all the testing restrictions that we have now.

Back when the tyre war was on, teams could trundle around their local track time and time again to get to grips with new tyres. Now they'll be forced to deal with the new spec on a Friday. Won't it be hilarious if the new spec is too hard to get to grips with and the next race is a shambles?

More and more F1 is becoming a joke. Might as well make it a one make spec series and be done with it. We can call it Formula Bernie or Formula Ferrari.

"And Sebastian Vettel wins the World Drivers Championship in the Red Bull Racing-Ferrari-Ferrari." Give me a break...

Hell, stick them all in the GP2 spec cars for the rest of the year.