Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 20 Jan 2001, 04:35 (Ref:59470)   #1
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I mentioned the sad fate of V6 EUROCAR's in the ASCAR forum a while back; How the new ASCAR series was likely to take over as the European NASCAR.

Well, EUROCAR is back, only it's calling itself VSR.

As far as I can make out, VSR stands for 'Vee-Six Racing' - corny, Huh?

As I stood with TimD at Autosport, I stared at this Mercedes-bodied tube-framed monster, little knowing that it was EUROCAR plus!

The intention is to run alongside existing V6 Mondeo-bodied EUROCARs, but using alternative bodyshells.
There seems to be a heavy slant towards European luxury saloon bodywork along DTM lines, with the aforementioned Mercedes already built, and Lexus and Jaguar 'S' types in the wings.
Interestingly, Oval-veteran Barry Lee will campaign a Jag 'S' type, and F1 and CART star, Mark Blundell is being touted for a guest drive.

(Point of note: I was very surprised to see Barry Lee not get involved with ASCAR - D'you agree? :confused: )

And is this 'new' V6 series suffering from a total lack of exposure, or have I been walking around with my eyes shut?

Me thinks they will need to do better if they want it to take off.
Old 25 Jan 2001, 18:04 (Ref:60331)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always regarded Eurocars as being dreadful...

The new series looks promising however. Will be very interested to see how many cars turn up, and what guest drivers actually appear.
Old 5 Feb 2001, 21:22 (Ref:62719)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I had high hopes for Eurocar back when it started, but the interest in the series has just wained over the years sadly. If it had been promoted as a package with V6 and V8 Eurocar, Pickups, Legends, maybe even pukka trucks too, it would have appealed to a totally different market to packages like Powertour and would likely have made it. A shame really. Let's hope it's death isn't too painful as Ascar eats away at it...
Old 6 Feb 2001, 00:03 (Ref:62758)   #4
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the VSR promotors are quoting double figures for new chassis/body/engine packages sold.

There was a small bit-piece on World Motorsports last week (or maybe the week before) where the VSR Big-Cahuna Chief Executive said they had a number of rounds planned for Rockingham. It would appear they intend to go head to head with ASCAR.

Quote:
"...the interest in the series has just wained over the years"
Do you think it's because they can't shake their 'Banger-Boys' image?