Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Nov 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1465942)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Should F1 go GREEN?

Should the pinnacle of motorsport lead the way in the environmentally friendly stakes.Is it the duty of F1 to do this in order to give a purpose to all the technology it uses.Nick Fry seems to think so.Comments please.Green F1
Old 20 Nov 2005, 23:24 (Ref:1466007)   #2
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting point. I believe they should such that f1 becomes again the R&D platform for the car industry. I fear that Shell, and thus Ferrari, might not like the idea though. This, however, would be an excellent thing for f1 image. Is there any motorsport serie racing with non or less pollutant fuels?

P.S. Does anyone know how smell ethanol fired engines. Is it as bad as ...
Old 20 Nov 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1466011)   #3
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A company like Shell will have to start thinking about alternative fuels anyway sooner or later, since it's dealing with an exhaustable supply for it's business.

At Le Mans we've seen diesel and bio-ethanol efforts in the last couple of years, and it seems the latest goal could easy be to win the coveted 24-hour race with diesel engines.

I think it's a step forward for technology since one day or another we're all going to have to face using alternative power supply methods, in whatever we do. If F1 really is the important pinnacle it claims to be, then they'd be extremely stupid, in my view, if they weren't thinking about it.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 23:41 (Ref:1466014)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
A company like Shell will have to start thinking about alternative fuels anyway sooner or later, since it's dealing with an exhaustable supply for it's business.
I'm sure they are already developing alternative solutions.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 23:43 (Ref:1466016)   #5
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not trying to say they're not developing it - probably chose the wrong words to use but what I kinda meant was sooner or later they're going to need to apply those alternative solutions - the R&D world in F1 could be an ideal place for it
Old 20 Nov 2005, 23:56 (Ref:1466024)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok ! But I think they will have to run after that :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5829046/

I for one already gone green !
Old 21 Nov 2005, 00:02 (Ref:1466025)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
In principle I think it would be excellent.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 01:32 (Ref:1466057)   #8
Meroo
Racer

Australia
South Coast NSW
Meroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is definately the way to go, as cutting edge technology should be at the forefront of F1, and also be relevant to the motor industry and its future products.
I have always wondered why this angle has not been seriously considered already.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 03:18 (Ref:1466085)   #9
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could start with limiting the amount of Fuel a car may use in a race.

A race is 305 Km's long.

My standard 3.0 Ltr road car uses about 30 Ltr's of fuel for that distance.

A current F1 car uses over 100 Ltr's for that distance.

Why not make an F1 car had a fuel tank of 50 Litres, or even 30 Litres.

The fuel saving technologies developed in F1 could benefit all car users in the medium to long term.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 05:26 (Ref:1466131)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
What an extremely interesting subject Martyn!

I would suggest that they start by using racing methanol which comes from corn I believe. It must happen though sooner rather than later.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 05:30 (Ref:1466134)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
What about running the engines on cooking oil? They mix it 1-part meths to 9-parts oil or some such isn't it?

One thing I would say is I don't really see the point of going down the diesel route, for, IIRC, it is a worse pollutant than petrol.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 06:20 (Ref:1466143)   #12
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Well there is a fishing boat that runs out of Port Fairy down here that has adapted his engine to run on used cooking oil from the fish and chip shop.

Claims to get the same performance and fuel efficiency as the diesel he was once using !!
Old 21 Nov 2005, 06:24 (Ref:1466145)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
It certainly works, there is no doubt about that.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 07:42 (Ref:1466183)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The IRL is going to be running an ethanol-blend in '06, and 100% in '07. This is a fuel made from grain (esp corn) and many Canadian gasoline suppliers already have an ethanol mixture in their pumps. It's renewable, biodegradable, and eliminates the reliance on OPEC. It also burns cleaner.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 08:07 (Ref:1466194)   #15
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
Well there is a fishing boat that runs out of Port Fairy down here that has adapted his engine to run on used cooking oil from the fish and chip shop.

Claims to get the same performance and fuel efficiency as the diesel he was once using !!
But all the crew have gained 30kg cos they feel mysteriously hungry all the time!
Old 21 Nov 2005, 09:18 (Ref:1466246)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
How many of us would like to see (or is that hear) silencers on the cars.I see a thread as already been started however.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 09:30 (Ref:1466258)   #17
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
YEah sorry.. is started a seperate thread for teh silencers.

How would cooking oil perform against petrol ?
Old 21 Nov 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1466267)   #18
DriversKnow
Racer

European Union
Staffordshire
DriversKnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has to be the way forward. Motorsport will become increasingly irrelevant to the public, fans and ultimately sponsors if it doesn't reposition itself at the cutting edge of environmental performance.

A lot of companies, such as Shell, Michelin, Goodyear, Ford, GM, Toyota, BP and more are beginning to invest their sponsorship millions, as well as their R+D billions, in eco-friendly and bio-friendly projects.

Therefore, motorsport may find the sponsorship reserves have dried up long before the fuel reserves do.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1466305)   #19
Swiss
Racer

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Swiss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its funny how when people talk of being green that they automatically go for the petrol and emissions part of the argument. Undeniably it is a major factor but there are other areas as well. Car manufacturers today have to recycle a set percentage of the cars they build, so what about F1 ? In my opinion F1 would probably stack up against this rather well as whilst many parts aren't recycled as such neither are they dumped as unusable deposits in land fills as most cars end up in muesuems or private collections. Even failing that parts are often sold individually as well ....

As for diesels its my belief that the Gov't are reversing the benefits you have for running a company car on diesel because they in fact pump out more emissions than petrol engines as well as worries of carcengenic properties ...

The future is alternative power and it will be interesting to see how this develops and comes into F1. Imagine electric powered cars that would be eerie to see them blast by with no engine wail .... Monza noise regs wouldnt be an issue then !
Old 21 Nov 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1466339)   #20
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Damn reuters beat me to it! booo but I should point out it was me not nick that suggested a two class or equivalency formula
Old 21 Nov 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1466480)   #21
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss
Imagine electric powered cars that would be eerie to see them blast by with no engine wail .... Monza noise regs wouldnt be an issue then !
I will be almost reduced to tears when that day comes...
Old 21 Nov 2005, 13:20 (Ref:1466481)   #22
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss
Its funny how when people talk of being green that they automatically go for the petrol and emissions part of the argument. Undeniably it is a major factor but there are other areas as well. Car manufacturers today have to recycle a set percentage of the cars they build, so what about F1 ? In my opinion F1 would probably stack up against this rather well as whilst many parts aren't recycled as such neither are they dumped as unusable deposits in land fills as most cars end up in muesuems or private collections. Even failing that parts are often sold individually as well ....

As for diesels its my belief that the Gov't are reversing the benefits you have for running a company car on diesel because they in fact pump out more emissions than petrol engines as well as worries of carcengenic properties ...

The future is alternative power and it will be interesting to see how this develops and comes into F1. Imagine electric powered cars that would be eerie to see them blast by with no engine wail .... Monza noise regs wouldnt be an issue then !

I had the same thought once,http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?

must have been drunk at the time, still it makes you wonder what if...?
Old 21 Nov 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1466498)   #23
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry bad link, must be still drunk.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...18#post1348818
Old 21 Nov 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1466524)   #24
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
Must be quite nice to acclimatise the fish to the smell of their future home
Old 21 Nov 2005, 16:16 (Ref:1466605)   #25
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis B.
Is there any motorsport serie racing with non or less pollutant fuels?
IRL use ethanol