Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 30 Mar 2007, 22:48 (Ref:1880178)   #1
trikesrule
Racer

trikesrule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Twin Batteries

Recently I was chatting with one of my (circle track) sponsors. I mentioned that one of the problems with any car is getting it restarted after a spin. He asked me what battery we run. As he has just taken over the business I told him it was one of his. That got the topic going! He stated that we needed a bigger battery. I said it was the biggest CCA (990) that we could fit inthe space. Francis said 'you know if you run two smaller batteries side by side all linked up with the proper cables you could have even more power from the batteries with less overall weight. I said prove it. So he did. Had nearly 1200 CCA with a weight saving of over 1.2 kg with cables included. What do you think guys and why is it that when you plonk a new battery in your car that you seem to get a bit of extra performance? Francis asked me if our cables get warm when I crank the engine over for a bit with the ignition off. I tried it and the lead going to the starter actually will start to smoke after about 2 minutes. Francis explained whats going on there 'basicly the lead cannot do the job it's supposed to do. That is carry the load. He's making some high quality leads for our car today. Any ?' Ask Francis. I'll get his addy....trikes
Old 30 Mar 2007, 23:22 (Ref:1880195)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Trikes I have run 2 batteries for years, small gel racing jobs but run 24v to the starter never had one burn out and always starts instantly.If you check the actual voltage at the starter when cranking you will have a suprise with one 12v batt . Also the lower the voltage you need bigger cables to take the same amps, so you can get away with smaller leads .
Just run the second batt in series on the power lead to the starter this can be smaller as it is only used when starting .