Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 May 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2214637)   #1
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bathurst 12 Hour 2009

If you go to www.bathurstmotorfestival.com.au you will get a page saying "New website Coming Soon"

Most of the site is up already - go to
http://www.bathurstmotorfestival.com...=24&Pagecat=24
to bypass the main screen.

Eligible vehicles and class structures are all there to be seen.

Of interest the Mini Challenge cars will be eligible in their own class, as will V8 Utes and a class for compact cars under 2Litres in capacity.

As discussed before, the event will be renamed the WPS Bathurst 12 Hour so it seems WPS are still on board which is a good sign. There will be five support race catagories but they are not listed at this stage.

All in all, it is good to see the event growing steadily, I cant wait to be there. Only dissappointing thing is the race is scheduled to start @ 6.30am hence no dark start...

Bring it On.
Old 29 May 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2214651)   #2
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised that the Mini Challenge cars are allowed in. I know it isn't a production car race, but aren't they a bit too modified?

For what it's worth, Eastern Creek is a track that both Production Cars & Mini Challenge Cars have raced on....

2007 APCC - Qualifying
Tim Robson - Mini Cooper S - 1:55.7797
(pole was a 1:48 set by Holt).

2008 Mini - Qualifying
Neil McFadyen - Mini Cooper S - 1:44.6655

Not a perfect comparison, but that's a big difference....

Also, Utes were eligible last year weren't they?

How many Automatics do we think will turn up? And SUVs? Hmmm......
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 30 May 2008, 00:01 (Ref:2214997)   #3
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The decision to allow the Mini Challenge cars is a joke and is a major disincentive for other marques to enter production cars on what is no longer a level playing field.Perhaps the organisers could also consider accepting the Porsche GT3 Cup cars that are going to be there as a support event or the Shannons V8 Supercars?
Old 30 May 2008, 01:57 (Ref:2215042)   #4
Flagger
Racer

Flagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52
The decision to allow the Mini Challenge cars is a joke and is a major disincentive for other marques to enter production cars on what is no longer a level playing field.Perhaps the organisers could also consider accepting the Porsche GT3 Cup cars that are going to be there as a support event or the Shannons V8 Supercars?
i totally agree, it is a joke and if anyone who owns a production car doesnt complain then they deservr everything they get. This is another example of how CAMS just agree to something put forward by the likes of hopless rules comittees changing at whim to suit themselves or their mates,it is a joke of the highest order.
Old 30 May 2008, 02:07 (Ref:2215048)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hrmmm... the Minis would still be 3-4 seconds off the ultimate pace of the race leaders from this year's race, thus they would be racing for class honours. Heck, a very large percentage of the field races purely for class honours, I can't see what the problem is by possibly boosting the field a bit...

Plus, it would be interesting to see what Neil McFadyen could be capable of in a well tuned APCC spec Mini...
Old 30 May 2008, 05:24 (Ref:2215091)   #6
GtiMagic
Racer

GtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First people complain that there isn't enough cars in the race. Then, when the promoters create it so that more cars are eligible, people complain again! Get a life you lot! What exactly in your experienced view should be allowed, and then show me that you will get a grid full.

Maybe we're all missing the clue here. Maybe Spherix, who runs the 12hr and the V8utes are vying for the Mini category management rights, and as a part of their plan they want to include them in the 12hr.
Old 30 May 2008, 06:35 (Ref:2215109)   #7
Waimate1
Rookie

Australia
North of the Black Stump
Waimate1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No high performance front wheel drive?????

I see there is no class for the Toyota Aurion TRD which is big shame eh, they might have been able to cause havoc.
unless i am reading the classes wrong!!!! which is on the cards.
Old 30 May 2008, 06:38 (Ref:2215111)   #8
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the Mini's will be good a boost field numbers is a good thing.
Old 30 May 2008, 09:03 (Ref:2215163)   #9
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waimate1
I see there is no class for the Toyota Aurion TRD which is big shame eh, they might have been able to cause havoc.
Were you expecting a class for 3.5 litre supercharged V6 FWD saloons?
Old 30 May 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2215211)   #10
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waimate1
The TRD Aurion is located in Section I, of the PDF.
Only automatic transmissions though.
Old 30 May 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2215227)   #11
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport
Were you expecting a class for 3.5 litre supercharged V6 FWD saloons?
The game may have changed, but that is a game no-one else wants to play.
Old 30 May 2008, 12:26 (Ref:2215281)   #12
Fox 42
Rookie

Fox 42 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope The HQ holdens get a grid.
If they do I will be there racing
Old 30 May 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2215282)   #13
Prickly_Goo
Veteran

Australia
somewhere you arent...
Prickly_Goo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard there is a 24 hour race this year.. or is it the 12 hour?
Old 30 May 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2215285)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the dates are for the equivelent weekend that clipsal was on this year
Old 30 May 2008, 23:20 (Ref:2215645)   #15
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dont see a mega issue with Mini Challenge cars being entered. It is unlikely they would have absolute front running pace so an outright victory is probably out of the question.

As mentioned before, they would be fighting for a class victory, and to do that, someone has to enter one in the race first. V8 Utes were eligible last year but no one decided to take part. Being in their own class means they cant take a class win off someone in a more "traditional" production based vehicle.

The promotors have been clever - one of their opening lines states its a race for "production based vehicles" - not specifically production cars.

The more variety we get in the race the better in my opinion. I'd rather see a field of 45 cars with some mini challenge things thrown in there then a 35 car field.

If you want an outright win, buy an EVO or a Bimmer or something in their league. If you want to take part in the 12 hour experience, then get yourself into a class car, there are plenty of classes to choose from afterall.

As for those making comments about letting Porsches and the like in - well that's what the $125k limit is for. Personally, I'd like to see some Porshes and more exotic cars in there, I think it would make the race far more attractive to spectators, however, I can see why this limit has been imposed, a race to attract more relevant vehicles rather then those that most can not afford to buy.
Old 30 May 2008, 23:37 (Ref:2215651)   #16
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
well done 6.213, its good to see a real world comment
Old 30 May 2008, 23:40 (Ref:2215653)   #17
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Improved production will be one of the support catagories

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 31 May 2008, 07:42 (Ref:2215745)   #18
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
Improved production will be one of the support catagories

A support category? I'd be saying the 12hour is all about Improved Production Cars.

Aint nothing wrong with that either.

There's an old saying. Race on Sunday, sell on Monday...The full version is. Improve on Saturday, race on Sunday, sell on Monday. Bathurst has always been about improved race cars....From the early days of the Armstrong 500 right up to the mid 90's through all the name and rule changes, one thing is pretty true....

You start with a production car and improve it as much as the rules say you can... It's what made Bathurst the place it is....

and I hope the IP guys make some noise around the place....great category..and maybe in a couple of years time the used 12 hour cars will filter down to the state level....All good.

All good stuff.

Last edited by MPA; 31 May 2008 at 07:46.
Old 31 May 2008, 13:21 (Ref:2215916)   #19
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There will be a full 55 car grid of IPRA cars, no problems at all. Cars from all over the country will come to run. There was guys from Vic, Qld, SA and WA at Easter.

Not sure how I feel about the Minis being able to run. At least the Utes run a semi-slick tyre. Will the Minis be allowed to run on slicks and wets? In a Production Car race? Hmmmm.
Old 31 May 2008, 13:52 (Ref:2215931)   #20
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You would think that the Minis would be better off on a treaded tyre (maybe from the CAMS List) in case of changing weather during a stint and for durability.

Hard to imagine that one car will be allowed to use slicks, unless there are other subclasses that were allowed to do so as well?

Only one full grid of IPRA cars, I think the showing at Easter this year gives the impression that there is plenty of willing and able IPRA competitors. Would be great to see all the top cars there.......
Old 31 May 2008, 15:00 (Ref:2215957)   #21
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dare say they will cull the field to allow all the "top" guys to run at the B12Hr, and the rest will run at FOSC.
Old 1 Jun 2008, 01:52 (Ref:2216232)   #22
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors
Not sure how I feel about the Minis being able to run. At least the Utes run a semi-slick tyre. Will the Minis be allowed to run on slicks and wets? In a Production Car race? Hmmmm.
I was thinking about the Mini tyre situiation yesterday, and that they at least shouldn't be allowed to run slicks in the 12hr.

However....... weren't the Performance Car guys running on slicks in their championship last year? With Spherix involved, and the race becoming so 'un-production car'..... I wouldn't be surprised to see everyone on slicks..........
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 1 Jun 2008, 04:03 (Ref:2216258)   #23
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As qouted from http://www.bathurstmotorfestival.com...HR%20Brief.pdf

Technical regulations will be as per 2009 CAMS Group 3E Production Car
Regulations

R Spec tyres as per CAMS list of eligible tyres – no slicks

Who said they will be running on slicks anyway?
Old 1 Jun 2008, 06:31 (Ref:2216278)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
well done nafe

i think its time we renamed this forum a waffle the amout of it some of you blokes do. the information was right there in the original link

Last edited by peckstar; 1 Jun 2008 at 06:35.
Old 1 Jun 2008, 10:33 (Ref:2216485)   #25
6.213km
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
well done nafe

i think its time we renamed this forum a waffle the amout of it some of you blokes do. the information was right there in the original link
I'm often amazed at the amount of conspiracy theories that go on in here. As mentioned it says in plain english no slicks.

Lets look at this race for what it is - A stand alone event for Production based catagories in Australia with a price cap.

The opportunity for all manufacturers to be involved in a basic motorsport campaign that wont cost an arm and a leg.

And an opportunity also for privateers to drive around Mt Panorama for a decent amount of time - A possible breeding ground for future stars, and a stable environment for experienced racers that enjoy driving around Mt Panorama.

Embrace it ! Denyer and West are promoting an event for the average racer - I hope it has a long and successful future. And as I don't race, I shall be there to watch it I can promise you that.