Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 May 2013, 04:18 (Ref:3254324)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"We are committed to HRT" - Ryan Walkinshaw

Interesting story on the V8Supercar website.. Story Here

I cant imagine that anyone in that part of Melbourne is too impressed with the on-track performance of the once-mighty Holden Racing Team.

Not having won since Bathurst 2011, and arguably not in contention for a win too often since then, there has to be some kind of inflection to understand what the next right move should be.

What would also likely be an impactor here is the level of merchandise sales at the WP juggernaut.

Once, when they were winning almost always, just about every Holden supporter in the crowd had an HRT item on, a hat, a jacket, waving the flag.

HRT usually gave their merchandise product a yearly refresh, and the faithful bought in droves... they seemingly couldnt get enough.

There were suggestions back in the day of $20m a year in merchandise turnover for the group... a nice profit contributor to the team budget you would think.

Then the lack of ontrack success seemed to change the market, the Holden faithful moved to the winners, the Team Vodafones.. and now as RBRA... even at the test day, there dozens of people in Red Bull F1 gear to support that team!

It becomes an ever decreasing spiral though, the profit from merchandise reduces, less money to spend on the team, the team doesnt perform as well as the fans might like, and then they buy less...

So... when will the Walkinshaws offload HRT? And who might be a likely buyer?

Presuming any of this actually happened
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 May 2013, 07:19 (Ref:3254354)   #2
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There seems to be at least some sentimental value in there for the Walkinshaws, so I'd imagine they'd hold on at least until it starts to run at a loss.

Would Skaife get the wallet out??
Old 28 May 2013, 07:22 (Ref:3254355)   #3
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whenever I see a headline titled "We are committed to ....", that for me is a sure sign of a kiss-of-death!
Old 28 May 2013, 08:00 (Ref:3254374)   #4
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
Whenever I see a headline titled "We are committed to ....", that for me is a sure sign of a kiss-of-death!
Like when a politician says, "the leader has the full support of the party", you know a leadership spill is on, this week.
Old 28 May 2013, 09:01 (Ref:3254396)   #5
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
Like when a politician says, "the leader has the full support of the party", you know a leadership spill is on, this week.
Deryn Hinch use to say a similar thing, say it three times and you know its going to happen.

whatch this space
Old 28 May 2013, 09:06 (Ref:3254398)   #6
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.v8supercars.com.au
Austin was the first chance for Walkinshaw to watch Garth Tander and James Courtney race and the Steve Hallam-led team in action since the Australian Grand Prix meeting.
And that, my friends, sums up what I fear is wrong with the current management structure.
It would appear that racing cars is not young Ryan's first love, it probably isn't even his second one. His various ramblings on Twitter in relation to Rugby and other topics tend to point to that.
I don't doubt the family's desire to maintain the Australian business interests, its just Ryan's Fly In Fly Out management style can not be achieving the results desired (by Holden, Walkinshaws and the fans).
Is there a way out of the hole? Don't know! But the package needs to get sorted quickly.
Old 28 May 2013, 09:09 (Ref:3254400)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I said years ago (when time passed away) and i still believe it. HRT are the only major team without a real figurehead.

Every team has a go to person for an opinion HRT have no one. The are like a ship without a captain, or at least one where the captain has put it on auto pilot
Old 28 May 2013, 11:52 (Ref:3254470)   #8
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
or the coach has the full support of the board = gonskies!
Old 1 Jun 2013, 01:01 (Ref:3256243)   #9
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts300 View Post
And that, my friends, sums up what I fear is wrong with the current management structure.
It would appear that racing cars is not young Ryan's first love, it probably isn't even his second one. His various ramblings on Twitter in relation to Rugby and other topics tend to point to that.
I don't doubt the family's desire to maintain the Australian business interests, its just Ryan's Fly In Fly Out management style can not be achieving the results desired (by Holden, Walkinshaws and the fans).
Is there a way out of the hole? Don't know! But the package needs to get sorted quickly.
Gave up trying to follow his twitter, maybe he's the wrong Walkinshaw, Fergus is more like a chip off the old block
http://www.ferguswalkinshaw.com/
Old 1 Jun 2013, 11:43 (Ref:3256369)   #10
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts300 View Post
Everytime I saw him at Texas he was out the back of the garage in his stupid looking cowboy boots and hat smoking with his very disinterested blonde trophy dragging along behind. I saw them leave on Saturday before the second race and not entirely sure if I saw him at all on sunday.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 1 Jun 2013, 23:06 (Ref:3256561)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
Everytime I saw him at Texas he was out the back of the garage in his stupid looking cowboy boots and hat smoking with his very disinterested blonde trophy dragging along behind. I saw them leave on Saturday before the second race and not entirely sure if I saw him at all on sunday.
Still DJ'ing overnite in a Texas club?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House