Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Nov 2016, 07:04 (Ref:3688791)   #226
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
This was in the press release

I think the engine is not really much of a concern for them. Seems they're pretty confident with it. I say give it time.
...But that is exactly my point. They are relying on the BOP guaranteeing that the torque curves are aligned. What happens if the regulators get it wrong?...(and it wont be the first time that they get it wrong...intentionally or not)
Old 17 Nov 2016, 07:14 (Ref:3688792)   #227
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
...But that is exactly my point. They are relying on the BOP guaranteeing that the torque curves are aligned. What happens if the regulators get it wrong?...(and it wont be the first time that they get it wrong...intentionally or not)
And yet the Fords are getting BoPed for Bahrain.

L.P.
Old 17 Nov 2016, 07:39 (Ref:3688794)   #228
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
And yet the Fords are getting BoPed for Bahrain.

L.P.
Don't all cars get BoPed? The problem is that we don't get to see the effects until after the race.
Old 17 Nov 2016, 07:42 (Ref:3688795)   #229
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
And what about if they get it wrong the other way? At Mexico, the Aston was the fastest, despite being an NA car at the track that should've been the worst for the NA cars. They got an over compensation in the BOP.

"Getting it wrong" works both ways.

Also - it sounds like a NA car! There ain't no turbo on that!
Old 17 Nov 2016, 07:46 (Ref:3688796)   #230
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
And what about if they get it wrong the other way? At Mexico, the Aston was the fastest, despite being an NA car at the track that should've been the worst for the NA cars. They got an over compensation in the BOP.

"Getting it wrong" works both ways.

Also - it sounds like a NA car! There ain't no turbo on that!
No doubt that getting it wrong works both ways. That is why it is a safer bet to go in to it with more left in the tank than to go into it as the underdog all maxed out that relies on the regulators not to get it wrong.
Anyway...time will tell.
Old 17 Nov 2016, 09:15 (Ref:3688806)   #231
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
No waivers required to relocate the engine...
This, from the GTE technical regs:

LOCATION, POSITION AND INCLINATION OF THE ENGINE
Position : Free.
Orientation : Free, but the engine must remain longitudinal (or transverse) if originally longitudinal (or transverse).

Definition of 'location'
Defined relative to longitudinal centreline of the car, the middle of the wheelbase on the longitudinal centreline of the car, the engine compartment, the cockpit, the luggage compartment.
A location within the engine compartment is defined relative to the crank case and the cylinder head(s).

Gearbox location:
Free design.
"Transaxle" transmission system (with torque tube between engine and gearbox) authorised.
Composite material authorised for the shaft of this "Transaxle" transmission system.
The modifications to the chassis/bodyshell authorised for installation are specified in Article 903.

I am none the wiser.

I think Racecar Engineering are doing a story on it, so that might explain all this.

Last edited by Mike E; 17 Nov 2016 at 09:31.
Old 17 Nov 2016, 10:25 (Ref:3688812)   #232
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
This, from the GTE technical regs:

LOCATION, POSITION AND INCLINATION OF THE ENGINE
Position : Free.
Orientation : Free, but the engine must remain longitudinal (or transverse) if originally longitudinal (or transverse).

Definition of 'location'
Defined relative to longitudinal centreline of the car, the middle of the wheelbase on the longitudinal centreline of the car, the engine compartment, the cockpit, the luggage compartment.
A location within the engine compartment is defined relative to the crank case and the cylinder head(s).

Gearbox location:
Free design.
"Transaxle" transmission system (with torque tube between engine and gearbox) authorised.
Composite material authorised for the shaft of this "Transaxle" transmission system.
The modifications to the chassis/bodyshell authorised for installation are specified in Article 903.

I am none the wiser.

I think Racecar Engineering are doing a story on it, so that might explain all this.
Back in may, after Imola, gave a look at the race programme I got there, was intrigued by some lines from the GTE rules (attached), thought about the rumoured 2017 911 but didn't take them too much seriously, though...should be at the root of Porsche not requiring any waiver to move the engine the other side of the rear axle
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05386_1.JPG  
Old 25 Nov 2016, 17:11 (Ref:3690969)   #233
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
The Vipers (and then the Corvettes) with normally aspirated engines used to beat the turbocharged 911 GT2s.
Well, these had understeer because mostly it was a not well developed front end of the car and the FIA didn't really like turbochargers back then, did they? Look at the performance of the 993 and 996 GT1 cars
Old 26 Nov 2016, 17:17 (Ref:3691182)   #234
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6 Things about The Mid-Engined Porsche 911 RSR.
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/6-t...rsche-911-rsr/
Old 13 Dec 2016, 12:39 (Ref:3695794)   #235
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The last pic in this sequence is interesting...

http://sportscar365.com/features/pho...day-gallery-2/
Old 14 Dec 2016, 07:56 (Ref:3696041)   #236
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 14 Dec 2016, 08:24 (Ref:3696052)   #237
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
Out of the car!
Old 14 Dec 2016, 20:48 (Ref:3696221)   #238
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fausto View Post
Out of the car!
I very much could be wrong, but actually I am not 100% sure the engine has been removed in that photo. While there seems to not be a whole lot of anything going on in that photo it all might be hidden away from that angle and by what would be the classic "firewall". I would like to see a high resolution photo, but you can clearly see part of the exhaust on each side plus what might be the back end of the gearbox. I doubt they would remove the engine and leave the exhaust in place. I think what is missing is the diffuser plus the rear of the car. Also note the axle locations and remember that the engine is going to be a good bit deeper in the car than those. Basically what was a 2+2 configuration is now gone as the engine sits where the back seat (in the road car) used to be.

Richard
Old 15 Dec 2016, 00:15 (Ref:3696273)   #239
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I very much could be wrong, but actually I am not 100% sure the engine has been removed in that photo. While there seems to not be a whole lot of anything going on in that photo it all might be hidden away from that angle and by what would be the classic "firewall". I would like to see a high resolution photo, but you can clearly see part of the exhaust on each side plus what might be the back end of the gearbox. I doubt they would remove the engine and leave the exhaust in place. I think what is missing is the diffuser plus the rear of the car. Also note the axle locations and remember that the engine is going to be a good bit deeper in the car than those. Basically what was a 2+2 configuration is now gone as the engine sits where the back seat (in the road car) used to be.

Richard
Sam thought, exhaust still attached seems to suggest some sort of fals firewall there and engine just in front.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 08:49 (Ref:3696347)   #240
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, that was my thought too. Guess the text wasnt so wrong afterall :P
Old 15 Dec 2016, 09:11 (Ref:3696353)   #241
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let's be honest

HAs there actually been a truly new 911 since the 60's!!

These are just evolutions
Old 19 Dec 2016, 11:36 (Ref:3697107)   #242
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post

Good one!
Old 19 Dec 2016, 21:43 (Ref:3697217)   #243
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Let's be honest

HAs there actually been a truly new 911 since the 60's!!

These are just evolutions
Depends upon what you call "new". Clearly specific cars are defined by the fact they maintain specific design features such as location and type of engines, and design cues. I can think of a number of cars other than the 911 that fit that category. Nissan Skyline, Nissan Z, Ford Mustang, BMW 3 series, etc.

If you know the history of the 911, you can say that yes, for many years it was very evolutionary. The basic front suspension from the first model circa 1965 is nearly identical to those up through the mid 1980s. But... there were eventual big changes that broke most all traces to the past short of the basic styling, engine type and location. All around the time of the last air cooled and first water cooled cars.

Richard
Old 30 Jan 2017, 01:33 (Ref:3707659)   #244
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
After seeing the car on track side by side with the other GTEs and getting a scale for the thing, I'm starting to believe we were all wrong if we thought Porsche was insisting on racing the 911 for marketing reasons or tradition or whatever. Rather, a mid-engine 911 seems like an outright better platform for the category under its current rules than a Cayman or maybe even a 918. With the huge rear overhang the 911 has combined with the engine moved forward the diffuser and rear wing setback on that car are positively massive, they dwarf even the Ford let alone the 488 and the Corvette. The Cayman with a normal back end and a smaller front bumper would make much less downforce. The narrow central body of the 911 gives them a lot more room to make downforce with the fender flares and side sills than other cars too, now that the shape of those parts is much more open.

It's really starting to remind me of the 911 GT1 because of that, since from the outside that thing looked like a boat of a car compared to the compact short tail McLaren F1 but it was really far more optimized for racing because its size gave it a larger aero platform, and forced McLaren to build their own boat.
Old 30 Jan 2017, 03:13 (Ref:3707675)   #245
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Porsche looked very strong in highspeed and low speed corners Daytona.

Now that that's over with, can Gimmi Bruni hurry up his announcement of the switch to Porsche?
Old 30 Jan 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3707856)   #246
pafe
Rookie

Germany
North-Germany
pafe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am positively surprised by the new 911. I didn't think it would be possible for them to keep pace with the Fords in dry conditions. Those last laps showed that they can be really fast although it seems it costs alot of tire. I am really anxious about the next races now, where drag becomes a lesser problem.
Old 31 Jan 2017, 05:12 (Ref:3707997)   #247
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I will reserve judgement until we have a 100% dry race.
Old 31 Jan 2017, 23:02 (Ref:3708229)   #248
Articus
Veteran

To top it off, this year's livery does the car so much justice. It is clean and good looking.
Old 31 Jan 2017, 23:19 (Ref:3708232)   #249
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
I expect this will be a one off livery until this year's WEC cars are unveiled, like 2014.
Old 1 Feb 2017, 05:20 (Ref:3708287)   #250
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
I expect this will be a one off livery until this year's WEC cars are unveiled, like 2014.
No - I think this is the new 2017 livery.