Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 10 Jul 2012, 02:57 (Ref:3104433)   #626
speeddemon787
Rookie

speeddemon787 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to say it but the ELMS is on life support and may likely see the cancellation for the rest of the year and beyond.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 06:55 (Ref:3104476)   #627
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry, I don't really follow sportscar racing all that closely, however I was considering going to Donington this weekend (as its my local circuit). What can I expect to see there? Has there been a bit of a decimation of the LMS field?

Cheers,

Ben.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 06:58 (Ref:3104478)   #628
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What can I expect to see there? Has there been a bit of a decimation of the LMS field?

Cheers,

Ben.
Fifteen cars and thats if Oak dont change their mind again. Decimation? I really wouldnt call it that.....

Save your money and go to Silverstone for the WEC. That should be well worth the trip compared to ELMS.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 10:11 (Ref:3104528)   #629
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocomics View Post
Bad News, Curtis, Race Performance and Boutse won´t be in Donington. The grid will be VERY poor with 15 cars
Boutson are down as running 2 cars, a P2 and a FLM, so if they aren't there its 14. Seriously disappointing.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3104532)   #630
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...this is so annoying. Selfish of me, I know. I really want to see LM cars at Donington (cannot make Silverstone grrr) but cannot justify the distance for a tiny grid... Still need sportscar fix so may have to do Brands and see two series I don't really care about (I'm sure the actual racing will be good and no disrespect implied to any serious followers) and Britcar (about which I do)...

I wish they could allow local discretion to boost the entry - there must be heaps of cars NOT running in anything in this w/e
Old 10 Jul 2012, 12:31 (Ref:3104605)   #631
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I'm the same Osella, had this one pencilled into my diary but thinking I'll probably swap for Silverstone Classic the week after. I want to support the ELMS, because the WEC debarcle has just killed it, but can't justify the (short) trip to stand in the rain for 6 hours for about 7 or 8 cars to finish. The one thing that might tempt me still is the quality of lineups that will be there; Oak #35, Status, Greaves and Loeb all look strong (if they're there).
Old 10 Jul 2012, 13:11 (Ref:3104631)   #632
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
I'm the same Osella, had this one pencilled into my diary but thinking I'll probably swap for Silverstone Classic the week after. I want to support the ELMS, because the WEC debarcle has just killed it, but can't justify the (short) trip to stand in the rain for 6 hours for about 7 or 8 cars to finish. The one thing that might tempt me still is the quality of lineups that will be there; Oak #35, Status, Greaves and Loeb all look strong (if they're there).
I'm sure it won't be the last victim of it either.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 13:38 (Ref:3104646)   #633
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...I'd love to watch Murphy or Oak win, but to beat a field of at least 25!
Old 10 Jul 2012, 13:50 (Ref:3104650)   #634
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Murphy for me , be great if they could get sponsored by Guinness ..... Imagine that logo ...... that could get a few heads scratchin .
Old 10 Jul 2012, 14:00 (Ref:3104653)   #635
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
show alcholic sponsorship during races is forbidden in EU countries as far i remember.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 14:41 (Ref:3104665)   #636
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah , bloody shame too !!!
Old 10 Jul 2012, 14:42 (Ref:3104666)   #637
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
show alcholic sponsorship during races is forbidden in EU countries as far i remember.
Bet it aint forbidden in Bulgaria or Romania ???
Old 10 Jul 2012, 14:45 (Ref:3104667)   #638
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Bet it aint forbidden in Bulgaria or Romania ???
Funnily enough, there's a three-car team in our national rally championship sponsored by Jack Daniel's. The only problem is... we don't have circuits for any kind of motorsport except karting and some lower-class bike racing.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3104671)   #639
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Funnily enough, there's a three-car team in our national rally championship sponsored by Jack Daniel's. The only problem is... we don't have circuits for any kind of motorsport except karting and some lower-class bike racing.
I seem to remember a track around Casa Poporului @ Bucharest.

P.S. I know it's a temorary street race, but it was nice in the FIA GT

Last edited by arakis; 10 Jul 2012 at 14:56.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 14:53 (Ref:3104674)   #640
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
I seem to remember a track around Casa Poporului @ Bucharest
That was a street track and it got discontinued because of problems with the local authorities. It ain't coming back for the foreseeable future.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 15:02 (Ref:3104676)   #641
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post

Only some it seems ..... so much for a union !!!
Old 10 Jul 2012, 15:39 (Ref:3104689)   #642
PCR
Rookie

Germany
PCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It can´t be forbidden in many countries as Johnie Walker (McLaren), Whyte&Mackay (Force India) and Singha Beer (Red Bull) are in Formula 1.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 17:15 (Ref:3104713)   #643
Alba
Rookie

Alba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[Qthe UOTE=Dyson Mazda;3104419]The ideal setup for the WEC is to work with the two series and not stand alone. They could have 5 races in Europe in conjunction with the ELMS and 5 races in the States with the ALMS. If we face facts it is going nowhere outside of these two continents anyways. Also they should only have LMP1 & GT Pro classes forcing the privateers into the other two series unless they want to buy the more expensive toys. You end up with a schedule looking something like this

12 Hours of Sebring
1000 KM of Spa
1000 KM of Monza
24 Hours of Le Mans
1000 KM of Silverstone
6 Hours of Austin
6 Hours of Mosport
6 Hours of Laguna Seca
Petit Le Mans
Asian Round[/QUOTE]What you describe is not a World Championship, it's a crutch to prop up two series that are failing to deliver the goods, the ELMS and ALMS.

Europe and the USA are saturated markets for the world's auto makers,people are downsizing and consuming less each year, and that includes purchasing and running cars. All sports, not just motor racing are chasing the big bucks in emerging markets, in the not too distant future Europe will be ranked well down in terms of total car sales.

The ELMS grid has been decreasing for year's, and yet this seasons prototype grid is better than for some time, it's the only GT's that have deserted, many of which can be seen this weekend in a series few know about, and and even less care about, GT Open.

Forge a partnership between the the ELMS and GT Open and you have a European Championship to be proud off, no one would question going to such a race, and it would be one of the highlights of the year.

Elsewhere there's SRO with the soon to be dead FIA GT1 and GT3 series, I can only wonder what team managers where on when they entered there teams in those dead ducks. Come back next season with a joint series based entirely in Europe and they may bring things back from the brink

In America there'll never be talks for the ALMS and Grand Am to join, but so that's a situation that's unavoidable, in Europe its different as partnerships can be forged and consolidations made to give us three amazing Euro series, an Endurance prototype and GT series in the former of the ELMS, keep Blancpain as is for endurance GT3's and have one single FIA GT sprint series.

This is all about putting self interest to one side for the good of the sport in Europe rather than jumping on the red herring the WEC is to blame, and somehow we can roll back the years to the 1980's when outside of Japan Asia and the far east weren't factors, and and you'd never think of running at places like Russia or India.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3104723)   #644
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What is the point of selling cars through Le Mans sports car racing in these markets if nobody cares? Just look at Zhuhai, loads of local hype, tons of promotion by Peugeot and hardly anybody shows up with a whopping peak of 200 viewers on the international stream. Of course F1 will do somewhat well in these markets, since they actually have people outside of a niche that care about it, but how does WEC Sports car racing sell cars in China? It certainly didn't for Audi, whose R18 started falling apart and shedding bodywork 20 minutes into the event and what ROI did it provide for manufacturers racing infront of (liberal estimates) 10,000 people? Is Bahrain a large-scale car market? Will the Indians unlike the Chinese get more than 10,000 people to show up for their WEC race? Will the WEC even be able to draw a good crowd in motor racing-hungry nations like Brazil (I'm guessing no) and Japan (I'm guessing yes)?

Race where the fans are, and support the local series. WEC cannot be the only ACO prototype sports car racing series in the world, it will kill privateers, and when you mostly have manufacturers propping up your sport, just wait until the next financial crisis to see what happens.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 19:29 (Ref:3104777)   #645
Alba
Rookie

Alba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There'll be two euro sportscar rounds in UK this weekend but won't draw 10,000 spectators combined, won't attract any coverage outside the motorsport regulars, have no major manufacturer or sponsor interest, they're club meetings with fancy cars. Combine forces and they'd provide an attractive package for competitors, sponsors and TV, they haven't and have even gone so far as to race on the same weekend in the same country.

The WEC isn't on the same page, at the head of the field manufacturers and corporate sponsors budgets are in competition with the Shaghai Masters, the big regional golf or football tournaments, ski-ing World Cup, a few thousand extra on the gates at Brands Hatch, Road Atlanta or Monza isn't going to sway things when you're looking to sell an extra 100k cars per years. Audi use these WEC rounds to forge relationships with dealers, they form a pleasant background to corporate business, get mainstream column inches and clip on the daily news.The ELMS's bread and butter are welathy amateurs funding teams and providing paid drives for pro's, their GT grid has fled to Blancpain, GT Open and FIA GT1/3, only BES is flourishing, the others are spread too thinly and need major reconstruction.

At one time Barth, Ratel and Peter combined forces and put together a great GT series, when the manufacturer money flowed in things got bitter, mismanagement ensued and everyon went in different directions. Today the WEC stands at teh top of the pile with a clear focus on big money technology and with a business closer to F1 than anything seen in sportscar racing in recent years. The ALMS is in competition with Grand-Am, their philosophies are so different it will be a fight to the bitter end or, in an ideal world, both build good grids and go about racing thier own way. In Europe you're tripping over lmp2, cn, GTE, GT3 and GT4's, there are that many about, but someone has to bang heads together and make these power broakers realise they'll be stronger if they join forces and cut the dead wood.

Sportscar racing has a great pyramid to develop teams and driver, but right now that middle regional tier is overcrowded and frankly in a complete mess. Where you can take hope is we're only in this situation because cars are being sold, people want to race and promotors see the potential, it happens this year they've stretched themselves too thinly, in theory the fix is simple if you leave the egos at the door.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3105022)   #646
spectre200
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedford, UK
spectre200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Endurance Info is now reporting that JMB have pulled out of GTE Pro for Donington, and will be looking at other series instead. I wonder if JMW will show up now for a class of 1?
Old 11 Jul 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3105282)   #647
spectre200
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedford, UK
spectre200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apologies for the double post - I was too late to edit. Now down to 13 entries:

P2 - 9
PC - 1
GTE Pro - 1
GTE Am - 2

This is so disappointing.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 19:18 (Ref:3105285)   #648
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre200 View Post
Apologies for the double post - I was too late to edit. Now down to 13 entries:

P2 - 9
PC - 1
GTE Pro - 1
GTE Am - 2

This is so disappointing.
Unlucky 13...
Old 11 Jul 2012, 19:40 (Ref:3105291)   #649
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nine LMP2 confirmed now.

Greaves Motorsport, Pecom Racing, Status GP, Murphy Prototypes, Sebastien Loeb Racing, OAK Racing 2x, Jota, Thiriet by TDS.

and no Extreme Limite ARIC in the end

Last edited by Marcel ten Caat; 11 Jul 2012 at 19:53.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3105294)   #650
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel ten Caat View Post
and Extreme Limite ARIC...
not any more - they're out.