Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Apr 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3725368)   #26
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick one, here's my vid from Saturday if anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO6datWiLHI
Old 11 Apr 2017, 09:38 (Ref:3725468)   #27
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for posting geordie. Great to see some racing after a long winter.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 11 Apr 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3725571)   #28
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Copied from HSCC's Facebook page, for information:

Message ref Donington Park, 8 April:

One of our competitors lost a new carbon fibre, black Bell helmet with a set of gloves and a balaclava inside – he was parked around garage 23 in Paddock One on Saturday 8th April at Donington. Please can you check to see if you have inadvertently picked these up when packing up your trailers after the race meeting and let Carrie at the HSCC office know if you find the missing items.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 10:55 (Ref:3726068)   #29
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few photos from last weekend...

Old 13 Apr 2017, 22:43 (Ref:3726232)   #30
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flagman View Post
Re Derek Bell Trophy

A reminder to all that no overtaking is allowed when yellow flags are displayed especially when under Safety Car Conditions. Two competitors, one the Race Leader, overtook the Safety Car - Probably in error as they were allowing back markers past to collect the leader. Leader should know that is what they were doing. So, lets fly past the Safety Car, run round at high speed to catch up the pack. Probably realising the error the two leading cars then overtook the entire train to reposition behind the Safety Car. All under waved yellow flags.

Message is clear - overtake under yellow flags you will visit the Clerks and be penalised. End of Lesson.
Last year I was running well down the field and about to lap a couple of back markers when the SC came out. The back markers were waved through and (I thought) so was I. What I didn't know was that the rest of the field had pitted to change drivers and that I was suddenly race leader. Because the tail ender was very slow the SC driver (not the observer) gestured for him to speed up which I took to be my signal to overtake. Seemed only logical as I had no idea of my elevated postion!

I still knew none of this when I was summoned upstairs but we worked it out between us and it fitted with what they'd seen happen but couldn't understand.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 05:31 (Ref:3726260)   #31
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Copied from HSCC's Facebook page, for information:

Message ref Donington Park, 8 April:

One of our competitors lost a new carbon fibre, black Bell helmet with a set of gloves and a balaclava inside – he was parked around garage 23 in Paddock One on Saturday 8th April at Donington. Please can you check to see if you have inadvertently picked these up when packing up your trailers after the race meeting and let Carrie at the HSCC office know if you find the missing items.
I hope the items were returned,but Donington being Donington!
Maybe a carbon helmet was needed to match the carbon Raybans I had lifted from the same venue a few years back
Old 16 Apr 2017, 00:05 (Ref:3726753)   #32
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Last year I was running well down the field and about to lap a couple of back markers when the SC came out. The back markers were waved through and (I thought) so was I. What I didn't know was that the rest of the field had pitted to change drivers and that I was suddenly race leader. Because the tail ender was very slow the SC driver (not the observer) gestured for him to speed up which I took to be my signal to overtake. Seemed only logical as I had no idea of my elevated postion!

I still knew none of this when I was summoned upstairs but we worked it out between us and it fitted with what they'd seen happen but couldn't understand.
Agreed Colin, I had no idea why you had gone passed until I heard about it upstairs.
Another morale to the story, only overtake when the SC observer waves you through and on the observers side of the car.
Old 16 Apr 2017, 08:08 (Ref:3726819)   #33
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With all the technology to our hand these days, can organisers not sort out a pass/no pass light on the back of the SC.

With all due respect to the quality of your excellent hand signals Chiggers, sat in the seat of a race car checking dials, making sure your gap to the other cars is correct and all the other stuff, it's really hard to interpret what's going on .

I'm sure the local tech college could knock something up cheaply enough.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 16 Apr 2017, 18:15 (Ref:3727153)   #34
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree but until the MSA put it in the regs we don't have a leg to stand on if protested over non-reg devices. I know that the MSV have red and green rear lights on their SC light bars. How that is regulated I don't know. I thought of using a small red/green lollipop device to use out of the car window, but it wouldn't be covered by MSA regs.
If drivers/clubs petitioned the MSA for a red/green system I would be in huge favour of it. Trying to be clear, decisive and authoritative with hand signals is not the easiest task.
Old 16 Apr 2017, 20:27 (Ref:3727177)   #35
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can understand that. Yet another example of the MSA inadequacies

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 16 Apr 2017, 22:18 (Ref:3727203)   #36
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
I agree but until the MSA put it in the regs we don't have a leg to stand on if protested over non-reg devices. I know that the MSV have red and green rear lights on their SC light bars. How that is regulated I don't know. I thought of using a small red/green lollipop device to use out of the car window, but it wouldn't be covered by MSA regs.
If drivers/clubs petitioned the MSA for a red/green system I would be in huge favour of it. Trying to be clear, decisive and authoritative with hand signals is not the easiest task.
There have been car mounted electronic message signs for year although maybe not flexible enough in capability for Safety Car deployment in their standard form.

However I can't believe is would be difficult these days to come up with a simple device and usage method.

At the most basic level, I assume, it's a matter of controlling the release of cars until the next car in line is the leader.

So you have a "pass now until number xxx" requirement (assuming the drivers known their numbers .... hmm, I see a potential problem already!)

So "Clear to pass" sign lets car by and a "No Pass # xxx" holds the leader.

At the simplest level that could be a Red/Green light for clear to pass and a 3 digit number display in red to keep the leader behind even if they are closely following some backmarkers or don't immediately appreciate that they are the leader - as per Colin's situation.

Assuming that the data is not being transmitted directly from race control to the signalling system keeping the Observer's job simple as far as message signs are concerned should be paramount. So a 3 position switch for the red/green light (Off, red, green) would suffice and the number display would require a simple keypad - hopefully just numeric but with any alpha keys that might be required in specific situations.

It doesn't appear to beyond the bounds of possibility.