Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Nov 2010, 14:39 (Ref:2791635)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
CSCC Spa Francorchamps - Spa Summer Classic

Races to be added.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 15:55 (Ref:2793859)   #2
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right, I need a wee bit of advise.
The sports 2000 boys are intending to run again at 'Spa Summer Classic' 10-12 June 2011.
What other races are going to be run that weekend?
Wil the CSCC calender tell me? or are there other races from other clubs held as well.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2793903)   #3
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Spa Summer Classic is run by an organisation called "Roadbook", I think.

Have a look at their web site & it may help. Google for "Roadbook & Spa Summer Classic" or something similar.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 06:13 (Ref:2794109)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://www.roadbook.be/
Old 22 Nov 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2794402)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
Right, I need a wee bit of advise.
The sports 2000 boys are intending to run again at 'Spa Summer Classic' 10-12 June 2011.
What other races are going to be run that weekend?
Wil the CSCC calender tell me? or are there other races from other clubs held as well.

No doubt Barry will be running his usual event.As Peter suggest's,best to check on the site though Sam.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 23:12 (Ref:2794509)   #6
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't help with the specifics as to what is running but have to say that this is the most fun event that I have raced at in the last couple of years
Old 2 Feb 2011, 08:11 (Ref:2824362)   #7
Kevin Cooke
Rookie

United Kingdom
London SW1
Kevin Cooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been checking the Roadbook website weekly and they have yet to announce the programme.

As I posted elsewhere last year I did the 2 x 30 min S2000 races and the 1 hr race.

This year I'll see what the programme is before finally deciding but hopefully will do either a 1 hr race or longer in the T492 and try and rattle the piggy bank to rent a Duratec for the 30 min S2000 races.

Rumour is the Saker's will be there as well.

Regards

Kevin
Old 2 Feb 2011, 12:23 (Ref:2824480)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think there will be a long distance GT race there as a friend if mine is planning to use it as a shake down for his Cobra ahead of the 6 Hour later in the year.
Old 10 May 2011, 19:52 (Ref:2878369)   #9
Kevin Cooke
Rookie

United Kingdom
London SW1
Kevin Cooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa Summer Classic 2011

The S2000 mob are out in force have a look at this entry list for the 2 30min races. I'm cheating a bit by listing this as Historics as all the cars are running together but we are hopefull of a full 52 car grid.

Anyone got a contact address for John Webb as I'm sure this would make him smile.

http://www.roadbook.be/spasummerclas...ummerRace7.pdf

Regards to all

Kevin Cooke

Last edited by Kevin Cooke; 10 May 2011 at 20:00.
Old 11 May 2011, 21:50 (Ref:2878990)   #10
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
Note to anyone participating in his event - the Belgian organising club are running it to FIA safety regulations so make sure your car and your kit is up to current Appendix J spec. One specific that nearly caught us out was that fire extinguishers now have to be secured with bolted clamps rather than overcentre catches. All FIA spec kits are now supplied with these (according to Lifeline) but this will catch out a lot of club racers.
Old 11 May 2011, 22:31 (Ref:2879009)   #11
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
..... One specific that nearly caught us out was that fire extinguishers now have to be secured with bolted clamps rather than overcentre catches. All FIA spec kits are now supplied with these (according to Lifeline) but this will catch out a lot of club racers.
I can confirm my recent purchase from DTs came with bolted clamps... thus

Old 12 May 2011, 08:32 (Ref:2879156)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
One other point on extinguishers is the rules state 2.4litre bottles, in the UK we seem to have 2.25 or 4lt so if you have the smaller bottle you may need to change it as I think last year an exception was made as they changed the rule a bit too late. It's worth checking up on anyhow.
Old 12 May 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2879506)   #13
gilduffy
Rookie

gilduffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do all these regs apply to a 1959 (ie period G ) car?
Old 12 May 2011, 19:27 (Ref:2879524)   #14
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilduffy View Post
Do all these regs apply to a 1959 (ie period G ) car?
you may check here but I think the answer's yes
http://www.roadbook.be/spasummerclassic/en/safety.html
Old 12 May 2011, 19:48 (Ref:2879540)   #15
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am now officially very excited about going back to Spa ferry tickets all booked and crossed fingers that car will be reliable
Fortunately the timing of the race allows one to watch Le Mans
Old 12 May 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2879645)   #16
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
Am now officially very excited about going back to Spa ferry tickets all booked and crossed fingers that car will be reliable
Fortunately the timing of the race allows one to watch Le Mans
Presumably you are not commuting between Spa and Le Mans to watch the race! So how will you be accessing the coverage and can we come and watch too?!!!
Old 13 May 2011, 07:18 (Ref:2879726)   #17
Stuart J
Racer

Stuart J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re fire extinguisher brackets and the requirement this year for bolts – if like me you have a SPA Design fire extinguisher, you can buy the necessary upgraded brackets with their mountings direct from SPA on 01543 434 580 – roughly £50 with carriage and VAT.
CSCC Future Classics #91, Porsche Carrera
Old 13 May 2011, 10:57 (Ref:2879800)   #18
AndyV
Racer

England
Somerset, where the cider apples grow
AndyV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
One other point on extinguishers is the rules state 2.4litre bottles, in the UK we seem to have 2.25 or 4lt so if you have the smaller bottle you may need to change it as I think last year an exception was made as they changed the rule a bit too late. It's worth checking up on anyhow.
Last year I was able to bolt in a hand held Dry Powder extinguisher (2kg?) to meet the FIA requirements. Was a much cheaper option than fitting a larger plumbed in system. Kept my current 2.25l plumbed in system just with the extra powder one too.

Andy
Old 13 May 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2879903)   #19
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
Last year I was able to bolt in a hand held Dry Powder extinguisher (2kg?) to meet the FIA requirements. Was a much cheaper option than fitting a larger plumbed in system. Kept my current 2.25l plumbed in system just with the extra powder one too.

Andy

I suspect that this year you would also need to make sure the plumbed in system has bolted straps rather than the normal clips. Conversely just disconnect the plumbed-in unit and leave the bracket in place.

Surely the hand held would need to be 2.4 kgs?

Crazy - isn't it.

Last edited by Brian A; 13 May 2011 at 14:34. Reason: additional comment
Old 13 May 2011, 18:42 (Ref:2879990)   #20
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just planning to watch Le Mans at the bar on top of the F1 pits as they tend to show any motorsport that is on TV
Old 15 May 2011, 20:41 (Ref:2880778)   #21
AndyV
Racer

England
Somerset, where the cider apples grow
AndyV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
I suspect that this year you would also need to make sure the plumbed in system has bolted straps rather than the normal clips. Conversely just disconnect the plumbed-in unit and leave the bracket in place.

Surely the hand held would need to be 2.4 kgs?

Crazy - isn't it.

Yep, plumbed in would still need to the bolted straps, will get the tin snips and cut some strips of sheet metal to make some.

Just checked my dry power extinguisher, is 2kg but 2.5litres by volume.

worth checking the FIA rule as a hand held powder extinguisher costs about £20 so much cheaper than a new foam system.

Cheers
Andy
Old 16 May 2011, 12:35 (Ref:2881027)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could have changed but I thought FIA was a Four Kilo requirement?
Old 16 May 2011, 16:42 (Ref:2881106)   #23
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
regs for Spa - UPDATE

just in from Hugo at CSCC:

"There has been clarification of the rules regarding fire extinguishers at the Spa Summer Classic.

The minimum required capacity is now 2.25 litres for AFFF extinguishers and the rule about retaining straps has also been re-written.

'All Plumbed-in extinguisher systems must be secured by a minimum of 2 screw-locked metallic straps (not by over-centre clips)'

I understand that Demon Tweeks sell replacement straps with the correct fittings for Lifeline extinguishers but cannot guarantee fitment for other makes.
"
Old 17 May 2011, 16:44 (Ref:2881716)   #24
Simon Davey
Rookie

Simon Davey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Screw locked metallic straps?

Isn't a "screw locked metallic strap" just a big jubilee clip/worm drive clamp?

Sounds like it to me

If this is an FIA requirement it seems strange that all the Fire Extinguisher web sites I can find are still showing FIA extinguishers with over-centre clamps.

Does anyone have more information on this please?
Old 17 May 2011, 16:59 (Ref:2881720)   #25
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Davey View Post
Isn't a "screw locked metallic strap" just a big jubilee clip/worm drive clamp?
Sounds like it to me
If this is an FIA requirement it seems strange that all the Fire Extinguisher web sites I can find are still showing FIA extinguishers with over-centre clamps.
Does anyone have more information on this please?
Simon I think a jubilee clip would be legal - but I'm not the scrutineer at Spa!!
See post #11; companies do not always update their product brochures / websites as often as they might.