Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 29 Jul 2017, 02:20 (Ref:3755263)   #601
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Have either even moved toward a GTLM car? I figure HPD and JAS will have their hands full supporting the GT3 programs, building a GTLM car on top of that seems like a big ask. And the Lexus seems to be a poor car for GTLM, everything I've heard indicates it's overweight for GT3. Course I thought they'd build their GT3 off the LC not the RCF but it's their money. Maybe a GTLM LC then?
It just ran with 1300kg plus 50+kg in Super GT and won, I don't think it's too heavy for GT3, but GTE I'd agree on. I want the LC to be their GTE car also. I wonder why the IMSA car isn't winning when the ones in Japan and Europe are always up front.
Old 29 Jul 2017, 02:44 (Ref:3755267)   #602
Makaze
Racer

Makaze has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ARX-O5 debut Aug 18 at The Quail(Carmel,Ca)
Old 29 Jul 2017, 14:22 (Ref:3755458)   #603
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Have either even moved toward a GTLM car? I figure HPD and JAS will have their hands full supporting the GT3 programs, building a GTLM car on top of that seems like a big ask. And the Lexus seems to be a poor car for GTLM, everything I've heard indicates it's overweight for GT3. Course I thought they'd build their GT3 off the LC not the RCF but it's their money. Maybe a GTLM LC then?
No, neither have even suggested a move to GT_LM.

However ... I haven't heard a lot about teams being eager to buy either chassis, and while they were both allowed factory support in GTD this season, next season they will not be ... so whatever results they get in the rest of this season are likely to be the chassis' high points.

I would Like to see both factories get into GTLM. I think it would provide them with a lot more ROI, and with BoP they would be sure to be allowed to win at least one race each season.

The GTD programs might or might not be money-makers ... but they won't offer big promotional payoffs, I don't think.
Old 30 Jul 2017, 03:38 (Ref:3755775)   #604
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
No, neither have even suggested a move to GT_LM.

However ... I haven't heard a lot about teams being eager to buy either chassis, and while they were both allowed factory support in GTD this season, next season they will not be ... so whatever results they get in the rest of this season are likely to be the chassis' high points.

I would Like to see both factories get into GTLM. I think it would provide them with a lot more ROI, and with BoP they would be sure to be allowed to win at least one race each season.

The GTD programs might or might not be money-makers ... but they won't offer big promotional payoffs, I don't think.

Agreed with this statement. Although there might be a taker or two for Lexus and Acura in Blancpain GT in 2018.

For GTLM, the one I would really love to see there is the Shank Acura team. They have the tools to be competitive in 2018. More so than the Lexus team.

And I said this already but it is worth saying again, if you just give the Acura some Michelin tires and remove the GTD mandated BoP on the car, then I think they are already approaching the GTLM speed window. Removing the ABS, an upgrade in the brake discs, and a little bit more development with the aero will be all that is left.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3756768)   #605
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From a Racer.com article about ECR looking at IMSA:

With Team Penske returning to prototypes in partnership with Acura, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing engaged in a long-term GT relationship with BMW, and Andretti Autosport rumored to be on the cusp of a GT program – possibly with McLaren – ECR would welcome the chance to lead a factory Daytona Prototype international or GT Le Mans project for an auto manufacturer.

Interesting he says long term and BMW has said they do annual contracts, wonder if there is some agreement between the two that they will renew each year automatically?

And a McLaren in GTD would be interesting. Hasn't that been a PITA to balance in PWC so that pros and ams can drive it? Seems to be a car with a very thin margin for success so endurance and codriver setup sounds like it could be a tough challenge. Mike's thoughts are always great for understanding the inner workings of this process.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 19:58 (Ref:3756771)   #606
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

With Team Penske returning to prototypes in partnership with Acura, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing engaged in a long-term GT relationship with BMW, and Andretti Autosport rumored to be on the cusp of a GT program – possibly with McLaren – ECR would welcome the chance to lead a factory Daytona Prototype international or GT Le Mans project for an auto manufacturer.

Interesting he says long term and BMW has said they do annual contracts, wonder if there is some agreement between the two that they will renew each year automatically?

And a McLaren in GTD would be interesting. Hasn't that been a PITA to balance in PWC so that pros and ams can drive it? Seems to be a car with a very thin margin for success so endurance and codriver setup sounds like it could be a tough challenge. Mike's thoughts are always great for understanding the inner workings of this process.

Where has the Andretti McLaren rumour come from?? Haven't heard that one yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 Aug 2017, 20:16 (Ref:3756775)   #607
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Cancel that I found the article on Racer, thanks!

Old 1 Aug 2017, 21:16 (Ref:3756796)   #608
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Cancel that I found the article on Racer, thanks!

Help me beat that drum! Let's make it happen!
Old 1 Aug 2017, 22:51 (Ref:3756804)   #609
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I think the McLaren rumor is for a GTLM program, though it seems the Andretti running the BMWs rumor has been stronger. Maybe Rahal can run the McLarens
Old 1 Aug 2017, 23:37 (Ref:3756809)   #610
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
I think the McLaren rumor is for a GTLM program, though it seems the Andretti running the BMWs rumor has been stronger. Maybe Rahal can run the McLarens

Been plenty of McLaren GTE rumours so I wouldn't be hugely surprised. McLaren bosses have encouraged those rumours

Old 2 Aug 2017, 02:54 (Ref:3756821)   #611
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For the sake of my sanity, I feel I should remind all that ECR is also the name of Chevy(/Caddy?)'s engine builder.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 03:01 (Ref:3756824)   #612
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Nowadays that's basically now RCR (Richard Childress Racing) since there's no active DEI in NASCAR and Chip and Felix now buy engines and cars off Hendrick.

In fact, outside of Germain, I don't know of anyone who competes on a regular basis in NASCAR (or IMSA for that matter) that uses RCR engines outside of the Cadillac DPI teams.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 04:04 (Ref:3756830)   #613
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Nowadays that's basically now RCR (Richard Childress Racing) since there's no active DEI in NASCAR and Chip and Felix now buy engines and cars off Hendrick.

In fact, outside of Germain, I don't know of anyone who competes on a regular basis in NASCAR (or IMSA for that matter) that uses RCR engines outside of the Cadillac DPI teams.
But the engine side kept the ECR name for reasons. Although I think there is another GM program using ECR engines, I can't remember which one.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 13:21 (Ref:3756947)   #614
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
ECR, DEI, please explain abbreviations when used. Thx.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 13:59 (Ref:3756952)   #615
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
ECR, DEI, please explain abbreviations when used. Thx.
Earnhardt Childress Racing and Dale Earnhardt Inc.

ECR was originally set up as a joint venture to build chassis and engines for DEI and Richard Childress Racing.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 14:35 (Ref:3756956)   #616
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Or Ed Carpenter Racing??
Old 3 Aug 2017, 01:23 (Ref:3757095)   #617
MaskedRacer
Veteran

I can foresee GTLM being strong through 2019. By 2020 who knows. A possible scenario is to take GTD and adapt that to a GTD pro category. Using GT3 cars but just with all pro drivers and open tires, while GTD remains as is with pro-am format and spec Conti tires.
Old 3 Aug 2017, 06:19 (Ref:3757123)   #618
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
Or Ed Carpenter Racing??
And therein lies the problem.

Back on topic, does Ed Carpenter really have the resources to expand like that? I seriously don't have a clue.
Old 3 Aug 2017, 22:54 (Ref:3757276)   #619
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
SC365 says that outside of Mid Ohio replacing COTA, the only major change might be Long Beach going back to a DPI and GTLM race due to garage/paddock space limits. Could that maybe be a nice way of saying that the race there this year was a bit of a crash fest with 35 cars, many of them with pro-am driver line ups?
Old 4 Aug 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3757353)   #620
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
SC365 says that outside of Mid Ohio replacing COTA, the only major change might be Long Beach going back to a DPI and GTLM race due to garage/paddock space limits. Could that maybe be a nice way of saying that the race there this year was a bit of a crash fest with 35 cars, many of them with pro-am driver line ups?
Good move I think. It was a good experiment to try GTD at Long Beach for one year but it did not work. Thus go back to what worked before. 12 races is probably too much for GTD anyway.
Old 4 Aug 2017, 13:04 (Ref:3757362)   #621
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Good move I think. It was a good experiment to try GTD at Long Beach for one year but it did not work. Thus go back to what worked before. 12 races is probably too much for GTD anyway.
Should be a nice field as well. 12-13 prototypes (maybe more) and 8-9 GTLM cars.
Old 4 Aug 2017, 13:15 (Ref:3757369)   #622
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
It does seem strange that the Am class had the most races this season.
Old 4 Aug 2017, 15:24 (Ref:3757384)   #623
MaskedRacer
Veteran

I also wonder as part of the schedule announcement if the car number color codes for the GT classes will change. I have not heard anything on that, just speculation. It would make sense since the series is going to an odd number of 3 classes now. GTLM should be green I think, not GTD.
Old 4 Aug 2017, 16:37 (Ref:3757401)   #624
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Why not use ACO color codes for car numbers and leader lights:

Red for LMP1 (not needed in IMSA)

Blue for LMP2 (equal to DPI/LMP2)

Green for GTE-Pro (GTLM)

Orange for GTE-Am (GTD)
Old 4 Aug 2017, 16:53 (Ref:3757410)   #625
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why not use ACO color codes for car numbers and leader lights:

Red for LMP1 (not needed in IMSA)

Blue for LMP2 (equal to DPI/LMP2)

Green for GTE-Pro (GTLM)

Orange for GTE-Am (GTD)
I think they just need to change the color of LMP2 / DPI (Blue is Good)
And leave GTLM and GTD as they are now.