Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Would you like three car teams?
YES. 3 car teams rule. 23 50.00%
NO. 2s company. 16 34.78%
MAYBE. I used to indecisive, but not I'm not so sure. 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Nov 2002, 23:22 (Ref:423374)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Three Car Teams

The question is: Would you like to see three car teams allowed in F1?

Well this is a poll, but let's have some discussion too.

Are 3 car teams a good idea?

How would you introduce it? Should any team be allowed to have an extra car for any race? How would they score points (the driver, but not the team? the top two from the team or the two nominated drivers?)

Finally, do you think three car teams will be introduced? And if so when?

So one poll, but much to discuss.

FWIW I would like to see it. Especially if it gave some other drivers a chance even if it was a one off. There aren't enough cars (and driver opportunities) on the grid at the moment. Most of us are missing someone that we think should be giving a chance.

How to do it? Tricky. I feel only two cars from a team should score points (in the constructors). I'm not sure if this should just be the top two or the two nominated. I feel the third driver should be allowed his points.

Will it happen. I'm not sure it will, although I base this on nothing whatsoever! However if we lose more teams...
Old 6 Nov 2002, 23:31 (Ref:423381)   #2
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The idea is interesting but financially I don't think it'd work. Personally, I'd like to see it stick to being two car teams with maybe a few extra teams and more equal performance across the teams such like that found in the BTCC in the 2002 season and the seasons between 1996 and 1999. I feel that a team of two drivers would be more cohesive and communicative. As you say, two's company.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 00:17 (Ref:423414)   #3
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think if the grid drops below a certain number then the top teams are obliged to run third cars. As far as I know the grid has dropped below that number - perhaps thats why massa is so confident he will get a race seat in 2002, a third ferrari? one guesses a F2002 all year...
Old 7 Nov 2002, 00:19 (Ref:423417)   #4
Evilsenna
Racer

Evilsenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't like 3 car teams, Imagine a Ferrari podium...
Old 7 Nov 2002, 00:25 (Ref:423422)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No way. Imagine TWO cars blocking for TGF!

Seriously, though, most teams can barely afford to run two cars. If your mission is to break the back of F1, requiring everyone to run 3 cars is the way to do it.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 00:53 (Ref:423429)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never really understood why there should be any rules about how many cars a team is allowed to have. I say, if a team can only afford to field one car, then it should be allowed to race. Likewise, if a team wants to field 4 cars, that should be allowed too.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 7 Nov 2002, 00:56 (Ref:423433)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If one team was not so dominant I would like it but to have three of any car on the podium would not make the racing interesting.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 01:53 (Ref:423448)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still stand by my idea of allowing teams who can afford it to run a third car during 4 races in the year.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 03:24 (Ref:423474)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say no to 3 car teams for the moment. Some teams are just getting by getting 2 cars out there.

If they do come in, they shouldn't be compulsory, and 3 should be the limit, imagine if we got a situation where Ferrari turns up with 4 or 5 cars (like BRM did in 1972)
Old 7 Nov 2002, 06:27 (Ref:423536)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, there is no need.

Plus some teams can barely afford to run at the moment as it is.

The only teams who could realistically afford 3 cars are Ferrari, McLaren and Williams, and there goes the point of having points for 8 finishers!
Old 7 Nov 2002, 10:13 (Ref:423644)   #11
wreckless
Racer

wreckless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well we might as well have 4 ferrari's fighting than 2
Old 7 Nov 2002, 10:58 (Ref:423686)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Lets look at this from another perspective.

If Formula 1 is serious about making the series more of a spectacle, then it would make sence to allow teams to run three cars. I would go as far as suggesting they were to encourage teams to run three cars. Quite how the points would be sorted out would be a matter for the FIA and FOCA to decide amongst themselves.

Most circuits have a licence to start around 30 or more open wheel cars so that side shouldn't pose a problem. Imagine seeing 30+ F1 cars racing at the same time, it HAS to be better than the current 20 cars surely?
Old 7 Nov 2002, 11:37 (Ref:423700)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Only if a driver from the country of the circuit drives the third car. Viz. for the British GP, only a Brit can drive the third car, for the Japanese GP only a Japanese driver, and for the Chinese GP, only a Chinese driver.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 7 Nov 2002 at 11:40.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 12:53 (Ref:423754)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd have to change the Constructors Championship or get rid of it if you allow unlimited entries. Or Ferrari (for example) would have it locked up after three races, as they would have five or six cars and the other teams only 1 or 2.

The other thing you'd have to do would be to make very sure that there were absolutely no team orders, as five Ferraris blocking for TGF would cause everyone to lose interest even faster than they do now.

I just think they ought to find ways to diversify the grid, not make it even more boring than it already is.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 14:12 (Ref:423809)   #15
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could have a guest driver like in the Porsche Supercup.

"Murray makes British GP comeback"
Old 7 Nov 2002, 14:25 (Ref:423819)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
... imagine if we got a situation where Ferrari turns up with 4 or 5 cars (like BRM did in 1972)

Ferrari used to have 3-4 cars too in the sixties i believe... (Amon, Bandini, etc...)
Old 7 Nov 2002, 15:09 (Ref:423860)   #17
NME
Racer

NME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YES to 3-car teams.

The first 5 in the teams standings would have to have a 3rd car for junior drivers only the year after.

Give the INT F3000, EURO 3000, UK F3, German F3 and SuperNissan V6 champs one seat in a top team ! 1-year contract. If the kid is good he will have the chance in F1.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 15:53 (Ref:423888)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Congratulations Liz for being two for two on your posts mentioning Ferrari blocking for Michael!

I will nip back to the thread which was, as I recall, about 3 car teams or some such. If a team can do it, than why not three? Top two finishers count toward Constructors Championship. It should not be required though. Not even sure why two cars are required. Would not life be a bit easier (albeit less productive data-wise) for the Minardis/Arrows of the world if they could run one car? Might encourage other entrants as well.

Given the costs, a four car or more team would be a lot unrealistic. Remember you will need a pit crew, mechanics, lawyers to negotiate contracts specifying finishing order and who gets to be first in the buffet line at lunch, caterers, groupies, transporters, publicists etc. Plus there would be massive confusion for the celebrities - "whose car should I stand by for maximum exposure?"
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 17:15 (Ref:423959)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Well, if someone is "Champion" because he's got the best contract specifying that he's No. 1 with a bullet, then the more cars on the team, the better it is for him. This would be for anybody who found himself in the best car on the grid with the same contract, no matter who he drove for. And it's a rotten shame that things have come to such a pass in F1, but they have, and pretending they haven't is what got us where we are today.

NO to teams of more than 2 cars, AND to contracts specifying in which order those cars finish races.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 17:30 (Ref:423978)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Liz: "Show me the contract!"

You can't. You have never seen it, and even in the unlikely chance that it exists, you would have no access to it.

Michael is "Champion" because he is currently the best driver, with the best team with the best car on the grid. Team orders at Ferrari do not extend to Williams or McLaren. I guess somewhere there exists a "contract" preventing a Williams or McLaren from passing a Ferrari.

Oh yeah, that makes you three for three in this thread, which was supposed to be about polling forum members preference on three car teams.

Show me the contract or please stop mentioning it.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 17:38 (Ref:423985)   #21
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Well, if someone is "Champion" because he's got the best contract specifying that he's No. 1 with a bullet, then the more cars on the team, the better it is for him. This would be for anybody who found himself in the best car on the grid with the same contract, no matter who he drove for. And it's a rotten shame that things have come to such a pass in F1, but they have, and pretending they haven't is what got us where we are today.

NO to teams of more than 2 cars, AND to contracts specifying in which order those cars finish races.
I would add to that that there might be a possibility that two cars would be blocking for Schumacher.

Cheers

Old 7 Nov 2002, 18:32 (Ref:424018)   #22
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm in favor, though I don't think they should be mandatory. If Renault, McLaren, Ferrari and Williams want to run third cars, then great. But Sauber and Jordan probably couldn't swing it but BAR and Jaguar SHOULDN'T.

I recall very clearly how a young driver might get his first shot at the Big Time in a one off ride in a third car. In the early 70's, Ferrari ran their best team ever, Ickx and Reggazoni with Andretti at selected races.

Revson, Scheckter, Hailwood, Depailler, Villeneuve, and Tambay all got their starts in one off third drives.

I say bring it on! And with the likely de,mise of Minardi and Arrows, we need third cars on the Grid. I'd rather see third drivers in races than rattling around at Catalunya.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 18:52 (Ref:424038)   #23
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it would be smashing to have 3 car teams, 2 would be bestest friends - and you would get the "black sheep" always instigating a little trouble on the track which i'd love

theres too much pussy-footing around on the track nowadays, we need some inexperienced drivers to really knock people off the track and go all gun-ho on us, like JPM is today...

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 7 Nov 2002, 18:55 (Ref:424041)   #24
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee and VB sumed it up nicely. A 3rd car every now and then with a local driver. Wasnt this allowed at one time?
Old 7 Nov 2002, 20:08 (Ref:424085)   #25
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not just allow teams to run between 1 and 3 cars? It might be unequal, but small teams like Minardi could just have one car, and bigger teams like Ferrari could have 3. I know the idea of 3 Ferraris is unappealing if they dominate like this year, but you get my idea.