Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 10 Nov 2004, 14:41 (Ref:1149529)   #1
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
He's not my kind of guy, a typical young, self absorbed, full of himself, MTV kid. But maybe I'm outta touch, and this is the kind of kid the IRL needs?
Personalities - good or bad - that trigger fan-reactions are always a good thing.
Old 10 Nov 2004, 15:36 (Ref:1149577)   #2
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Personalities - good or bad - that trigger fan-reactions are always a good thing.
Your probably right rusty. NASCAR certainly has its share of different personalities, a good guys versus bad guys sort of thing, and it really works for them.

Tim, your right, I probably shouldn't have said that, because I have noticed that most OWRS fans aren't persecuting Patrick like the others. I guess I've been conditioned to think that they would automatically! That board seems to have mellowed abit since the high drama of last years silly season.

Danica Patrick
Old 10 Nov 2004, 15:51 (Ref:1149593)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Your probably right rusty. NASCAR certainly has its share of different personalities, a good guys versus bad guys sort of thing, and it really works for them.
Indeed, and while outspoken personalities are good alone, a big rivalry is even better for business. This is one of the major strengths of NASCAR - that, and the longetivity of its drivers. Rather than hoppin' between championships you have guys racing in the same series for nearly twenty years (sometimes with the same team the whole time!), something that builds tradition and a solid following.

I mean, just imagine if Villeneuve, Zanardi, Montoya and da Matta had remained in Champ Car. Imagine the rivalries we'd seen.

Of course it's a different climate in open-wheel racing though - NASCAR NEXTEL Cup, is, after all, the top of the stock-car ladder, while Formula 1 will always be the top of the open-wheel ladder. The drivers above and others who have made the same jump, even though not all of them were successful, would have been foolish not to take the chance.

Hmm. Sorry for drifting off there.

Last edited by rustyfan; 10 Nov 2004 at 15:51.
Old 10 Nov 2004, 16:04 (Ref:1149603)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your post is spot-on as usual rusty! You really hit on an important point.

Longevity is something that I never gave any real thought about, simply because it's been so long since we've had any, but it is something that we are sorely lacking in open wheel racing when compared to NASCAR. Your right when you say what an important ingrediant that is for NASCAR's success.

There was a time back in the USAC and early CART years, that IndyCar racing did have similar longevity to what we see in NASCAR today. Back then being an IndyCar driver was a drivers ultimate goal, and he didn't look for anything further, and rivalries were made, and they were great!

Ah, I wish it were so today!

Good stuff rusty. This is such a great subject that it deserves a thread of its own! Moderator!? Can I get a moderator please!

Danica Patrick
Old 10 Nov 2004, 18:28 (Ref:1149718)   #5
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good idea. Done
Old 10 Nov 2004, 18:31 (Ref:1149722)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now, the IRL had Buddy Rice as "Made in America" on the cover of one of thier magazines. He was Indy. Imangine if he got into a rivalry with, perhaps, a non-American driver? (Well as we have read, there were a few incidents with the AGR boys ) Wouldn't that be great publicity? And fantastic to watch to. Hell, the whole Hill vs Schumacher thing back in '94 is what got me into motorsport...
Old 10 Nov 2004, 22:14 (Ref:1149868)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
I've got that issue DF, and they really hit on Rice's all-American roots.

The ABC announcers really played up the rivalry between Rice and Wheldon to, and it was done pretty well. It added some drama to the season. If Rice was able to take the battle down to the last race in Texas, it could have been great. Like you said DF, it was a rivalry that got you into racing, and its rivalries that make all sports interesting.

The IRL could really use some NASCAR type of good guy/bad guy stuff. The IRL has some very marketable drivers right now, and they should really build on that. I'd like to see something along the lines of, "watch the worlds best drivers, go wheel-to-wheel with America's finest", or something to that effect, lol! Play up the 50/50 mix of foreign drivers and Americans that the IRL has. It should be used as a positive, not a negative.

Rice has the perfect bad guy image, doesn't he?

Danica Patrick
Old 10 Nov 2004, 22:41 (Ref:1149893)   #8
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Shame it's been hidden. That near punch up with the AGR pit crew and the "I've got no fuel, make the yellow longer! *cough*" incident would have made great TV.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 10 Nov 2004 at 22:41.
Old 11 Nov 2004, 16:54 (Ref:1150586)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Some of the rivalries I think we'll see next year would be:

1-Rice versus the whole AGR team! There really is no love lost between these guys, especially Wheldon, and it will be good to watch Rice get in between these guys.

2-Fernandez Racing against AGR. Fernadez really emerged as a major player, and will be a real threat for the title next season.

3-Manning versus the whole field! His driving style is not very popular with other drivers, and he doesn't care! Can Dixon take him?

4-PJ Chesson, while he is not signed by any IRL team, and I personally don't like his X-Games attitude, he would surely stir the pot with any number of drivers if he is brought up. He'd be my driver to root against!

5-Panther Racing with the only Chevy in the field, could make major waves if they are somehow competitive.

Any others?

Danica Patrick
Old 11 Nov 2004, 17:17 (Ref:1150633)   #10
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
PJ could stir the pot big time, and become the bad guy...what is he were to have an "incident" with Rice, Mr-Made-In-The-USA-And-All-Round-Nice-Guy?

Wow, this could be more interesting than Driven
Old 13 Nov 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1152459)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
I've heard that PJ wants out of his IPS contract with Mo Nunns wife, because he thinks he's ready, and can land an IRL ride for 05.

I saw him on ESPN2, on the IRL Awards Banquet, and he is really a wild child(I'm being far to nice!). He actually made quite a fool out of himself. Everyone was well dressed, mostly in suits and ties, and here comes PJ wearing some outlandish outfit, more suited for the MTV Music Awards, that he said was the same outfit he was wearing when he got arrested! He did all of the usual gangsta mugging for the camera and the gang hand gestures, with all of that rap "attitude" **** that I despise, especially considering that he's a rich kid from the burb's. He's got no respect for anything. Jamie Little was really taken abck by him. He was a difficult interview and certainly different than the rest.

My point is, he got all of the "tude" necessary to be the most hated driver ever to come down the IRL pike. He's a bad boy, personified!

Having him around would make the IRL, look like the WWF!

Danica Patrick