Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 10 Mar 2003, 22:21 (Ref:532099)   #1
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
car searching

me and my dad and a lad at work are looking for a car for me. they're looking in the small to mid size range, at around £5k-8k (it'd have to be something pretty special to make it worth 8k though).

so far they found a 2.8 (!!!) litre vr6 golf 1995 reg. 60k (that's 2 years mileage for me...) on the clock, asking price just over £5k. my basic objections were:
1) it's ugly
2) couldn't afford the fuel
3) it's too old

what sort of thing would we be looking at for that sort of price? it has to be top spec (for optimal resale value apparently - it won't reach that point, i'll run it into the ground).

as a form of guidance, my dream new car is a clio 1.6. i won't touch vauxhalls with a 10 foot bargepole.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 22:26 (Ref:532106)   #2
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You could buy several really good Duttons.......

.........I'll get my coat.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 22:28 (Ref:532110)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about a nice Rover 25 , nothing wrong with them and mine is quite nippy
Old 11 Mar 2003, 01:39 (Ref:532289)   #4
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how about a nice Toyota MR2? pleny of them around for that buget, ok its small inside, but its a sports car

or how about a Seat Ibiza Cupra Sport? (gotta be in Kiwi yellow).
Old 11 Mar 2003, 07:25 (Ref:532428)   #5
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nissan micra, air con, power steering, auto etc etc
Old 11 Mar 2003, 08:55 (Ref:532461)   #6
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bella, the first thing I’d do is grab a copy of Top Marques and take a look at what’s available. The choice is huge. It boils down to what you fancy, what’s practical and how you see yourself.

The world is your oyster. Looking at sober stuff, something like a C class Merc/BMW 3 Series are rock solid motors that will hold their money well. If you go below 1800 cc, you’ll enjoy decent mpg but tiring performance (no go, frantic motorway). If your insurance will stand it, there are some super small hot hatches. The Peugeots 306 are great, even the Turbo Diesel. There are so many others.

No doubt the males around you will check out the car’s history and traces of accident damage. Do walk away from anything which is not 100%. Keep to middle of the road colours and specs. Anything ‘unusual’ will be difficult to sell again. That VR6 is a great car – wind it up and watch it go, but very thirsty and expensive to insure.

Buying from a main dealer with warranties does wonders for a good night’s sleep, but will cost a serious wedge more.

Do tell us what you plump for.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 08:56 (Ref:532462)   #7
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Buy a poxy little Honda and take your motorcycle licence.

Then, buy a Ducati!

Be the envy of your friends, be superior to any bloke that takes your fancy. Get into it.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 09:09 (Ref:532470)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Re: car searching

Quote:
Originally posted by bella
as a form of guidance, my dream new car is a clio 1.6. i won't touch vauxhalls with a 10 foot bargepole.
You've answered your own question, haven't you?

You want a 1.6 Clio......you can afford a 1.6 Clio.....so buy a 1.6 Clio!

If you can afford what you really want (& can afford the insurance!), go for it - anything else will only ever be second best. Never let anybody else choose a car for you - you're the one who's got to live with it; choosing a car is an emotional, not a rational, decision!
Old 11 Mar 2003, 12:41 (Ref:532580)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your dream car is a 1.6 Clio?

Kids these days...
Old 11 Mar 2003, 13:04 (Ref:532600)   #10
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Top Marques won't be much use - it deals with prestige/sports over £8k.

Autotrader is worth a look...

How about this truly tasteful item...

2002 RENAULT CLIO 1.2 16V Dynamique 3dr Hatchback
Met paint, 17" BSA Alloys, MS kit, Lowered, C/C, £'s of ice, Alarm, E/W,C/L. £8000 ono. 10000 miles.
Attached Images

Old 11 Mar 2003, 14:07 (Ref:532685)   #11
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quick look at autotrader - yes I'm at work, yes I'm bored, yes I probably should've been a car dealer - shows up quite a few late previous model Clio 1.6 RSi's and a few current model 1.6 Dynamique's etc. at around £7.5 to 8k

You can afford your dream new car, all be it one that's upto a couple of years old...

The Golf VR6 was a fine car, but it's old, front heavy, very thirsty and a fortune to insure.

Last edited by garcon; 11 Mar 2003 at 14:08.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 17:41 (Ref:532921)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
buy somthing interesting bella not just another Identikit hatch, the best suggestion I've hear here is a dutton. Or you could get a McCoy custom made for about 1.5k.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 21:29 (Ref:533190)   #13
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
the best suggestion I've hear here is a dutton. Or you could get a McCoy custom made for about 1.5k.

Thanks Mr Collins!!
Come and find us on the D.O.C. stand at Stoneleigh and have a beer or ten!
Old 12 Mar 2003, 10:32 (Ref:533656)   #14
gsr
Racer

gsr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
Buy a poxy little Honda
Then, buy a Ducati!

You will be struck by a bolt of lightning for that slanderous comment...
Honda = World Champion !!!!!!!
Old 13 Mar 2003, 22:17 (Ref:535481)   #15
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
buy somthing interesting bella not just another Identikit hatch
Have a look at the 'Classifieds' on this site :

http://www.quantumowners.com/

My wife is looking at buying a Quantum H4 to use as a commuting car, more fun than your average Fiesta!
Old 13 Mar 2003, 23:16 (Ref:535545)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
now my dad's got it in his head that i've always wanted a golf and the words 'clio 172' actually were 'golf gti'. although my mum reckons he was looking at a 1997 gti with leather seats. if 1997 is old body shape i'm not touching it with a 10 foot bargepole.

i thought about a mazda girly wagon, but it's just not practical enough. nor is a dutton. a mate of ours had one and he had to sell it because it was just too silly...

i'm not allowed anything not built like a brick outhouse because apparently when i crash i need as much help as i can get. every damn second sentence is '...when you crash'. thanks for that dad.

insurance isn't an issue. since it's going in my parents/their company's name it's covered by the company insurance. tee hee.

i'd rather die painfully than drive a nissan micra.

my first car was a 316i bmw. too big, too slow and too ugly. loved it, but it really was a bit poo. the thought of another one makes me run away screaming...

looks like a golf at the moment - which is ok. i guess. but i don't think my dad realises it won't be sold in a year like he thinks. at least not to anyone but me...
Old 13 Mar 2003, 23:21 (Ref:535551)   #17
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Quote:
a mate of ours had one and he had to sell it because it was just too silly...
Odd that, that's exactly why I bought one
Old 13 Mar 2003, 23:55 (Ref:535579)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
point well made
Old 14 Mar 2003, 10:57 (Ref:535902)   #19
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
wHAT'S THAT ABOUT THE dUCATI?

oops, caps lock harrow!

Good, get amongst it!
Old 14 Mar 2003, 17:06 (Ref:536219)   #20
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have you looked on http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/car_reviews/ ?
Old 14 Mar 2003, 20:05 (Ref:536347)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i've got the parker's car guide. what's a small family when it's at home?

i'm not riding a motorbike. it's far more difficult to fall off a car than it is a motorbike....
Old 14 Mar 2003, 20:08 (Ref:536351)   #22
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i'm not riding a motorbike. it's far more difficult to fall off a car than it is a motorbike

but the pros outway the odd fall, and you get used to bouncing down the road evry now and again
Old 14 Mar 2003, 21:20 (Ref:536410)   #23
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Quote:
what's a small family when it's at home?

Noisy, messy and expensive
Old 15 Mar 2003, 09:27 (Ref:536754)   #24
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Golfs great - TDi is a real workhorse but quick, and easy on the motorway. How many miles do you do par annum Bella? Don't let 'men' talk you into manuals either. Modern traffic conditions and modern automatic 'boxes make sense.
Old 15 Mar 2003, 17:58 (Ref:537166)   #25
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get a diesel. Small petrol cars nowadays have a puny torque range and engine dies easily.

-Jamie Hyneman