Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 26 Feb 2014, 10:57 (Ref:3372326)   #1
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Garage 34 for Indy 500

I like very much this idea. But I would like to see 4 or 5 experimental cars in every Indy 500. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112634
Old 26 Feb 2014, 11:08 (Ref:3372329)   #2
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one is enough, but I also like the idea.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 14:24 (Ref:3372376)   #3
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I posted similar thoughts on another thread but, I wonder if the series came up with this proposal on their own, or did a team approach them with a concept and the idea? If the it is the latter, we could have a 34 rather quickly.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 18:45 (Ref:3372436)   #4
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All of this is assuming we will have 33 cars on the grid.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3372462)   #5
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Honestly, I find this a pointless gimmick, as the series has a long-term commitment to the existing car. Yes, it might generate some attention, but that amounts to nothing more than a cynical bait-and-switch. At least at Le Mans you might see some of the technologies tested inn actual race cars this decade.

This really doesn't address Indycar's core problems but does show exactly how desperate and intellectually bankrupt the series is.

Last edited by TheMightyM; 26 Feb 2014 at 20:21.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 20:18 (Ref:3372464)   #6
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do not see that this is necessarily a good thing
Old 26 Feb 2014, 21:16 (Ref:3372482)   #7
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I have said elsewhere (was it this forum? I'm on too many!) the big problem here is the speed balancing. The experimental car will not be allowed to be quicker or more fuel efficient than the pack, or it might "win" the race which will somewhat devalue the Indycar class winner.

Equally though if it is too slow it will pose a safety risk and/or just be annoying to the racers. At Le Mans there are big differences in speed between the pack and so having a slower test vehicle will not pose too many problems, but repeatedly lapping a slower car on an oval is likely to cause some problems.
Old 27 Feb 2014, 14:29 (Ref:3372758)   #8
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Honestly, I find this a pointless gimmick, as the series has a long-term commitment to the existing car. Yes, it might generate some attention, but that amounts to nothing more than a cynical bait-and-switch. At least at Le Mans you might see some of the technologies tested inn actual race cars this decade.

This really doesn't address Indycar's core problems but does show exactly how desperate and intellectually bankrupt the series is.
You make some good points there. Indycar does have a plan to update the current cars (bodykit first, then some engine stuff) but that plan is going to be scripted and not a result of innovation. As you say, this is a bait and switch, but maybe that is what the series wants? If they want to attract new eyeballs to the series this is probably an easy way to do it. Of course the series has to hope that once the baited fans see the actual product they like it and decide to stay.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 18:28 (Ref:3373292)   #9
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like this, mainly for safety reasons. After all, Indy is a high speed oval with the walls close to the track. 500 miles sure enough makes it an endurance event but it is run at the speed of a sprint race (and at considerably higher speeds than a Sprint Cup race, to avoid a misunderstanding).
Old 1 Mar 2014, 18:02 (Ref:3373715)   #10
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thumbs down for ZEOD. I'm not against new technology, but high-speed unbanked oval is not very safe place for this type of red herrings.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 20:34 (Ref:3373757)   #11
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Garage 56 has done nothing for LM except finding a place for Nissan to put their low budget "innovative" junk into the race and get Darren Cox TV time and interviews on Radio Nissmans. Add to that the whole speed balance issue on a high speed flat out oval that isn't even that big a test of car and setup now anyways (all about engines and sucking up) so not sure why the Indy 500 would even want it.

And no, 'da epicz technology' would not increase Indy 500 ratings and ticket sales, drivers Americans actually care about would.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3373759)   #12
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
All of this is assuming we will have 33 cars on the grid.
Good point actually.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 01:48 (Ref:3374201)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
I just figured out the next move for Garage 34. Nissan will run something deltawingish and instead of using a driver, somebody sitting at home on their playstation will be at the controls. Ultimate gamer to racer transformation!
Old 3 Mar 2014, 16:07 (Ref:3374435)   #14
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I just figured out the next move for Garage 34. Nissan will run something deltawingish and instead of using a driver, somebody sitting at home on their playstation will be at the controls. Ultimate gamer to racer transformation!
"Much innovative and Da Future of racing"-Darren Cox
Old 3 Mar 2014, 18:09 (Ref:3374471)   #15
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
And no, 'da epicz technology' would not increase Indy 500 ratings and ticket sales, current NASCAR drivers would.
Fixed for you.

Although until they stop clashing dates that isn't going to happen.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 18:26 (Ref:3374477)   #16
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRTC View Post
Fixed for you.
Quote:
drivers Americans actually care about

current NASCAR drivers
Same Thing.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 13:50 (Ref:3374908)   #17
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village

Well looks like I got what I, and certainly Mark Miles, wished for. Kurt Busch will help the Indy 500 more than any 'advanced technology' and 'I can't believe it's not spec racing(!) ever will.

EDIT: Wrong Tag. Any Indycar fan including myself certainly shouldn't be sad right now.