Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 9 Sep 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3300869)   #551
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
If that is true then (about Alonso) then it is rubbish to suggest that he is the best or most complete driver in F1 today. Vettel has more emotional balance (or demonstrated it so far.....) and focussed application as does Kimi, and one or two others with potential in development.

Or are we just seeing someone getting upset about organisational ineptitude within his current employers (assuming that it really exists at Maranello.)
During the interview with Eddie Jordan shown yesterday, Luca di Montezemolo said that Alonso was the best driver Ferrari's ever had. It's possible he was having another of his many 'senior moments', but I did think that was a rather strange comment... given that he's been unable to seal a championship, despite having the biggest budget and arguably the greatest resources available to any driver on the grid right now.

Maybe behind the wheel Alonso is the best - we don't know - but that's only one element of what's necessary in the modern era. I think that he lacks the completeness [i.e. the development capability, the diligence and the organizational nous] of a Schumacher [and possibly Vettel] to be able to shape Ferrari into a championship winning outfit. Obviously Luca di Montezemolo would never come out with something like that... but I think it's fairly apparent to those of us looking in from the outside. For that reason I think Alonso isn't the greatest driver Ferrari have ever had... and as you say, not the greatest of the current crop of drivers we have on the grid today.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 08:43 (Ref:3300881)   #552
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hang on a minute............

Since joining Ferrari in 2010, Alonso has finished on the podium 40 times and taken 11 victories!

But for Adrian Newey (plus a decent peddler in Raoul Silva), he'd probably be a four times Champion already.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 10:15 (Ref:3300916)   #553
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Hang on a minute............

Since joining Ferrari in 2010, Alonso has finished on the podium 40 times and taken 11 victories!

But for Adrian Newey (plus a decent peddler in Raoul Silva), he'd probably be a four times Champion already.
Absobloodylutely! And this is what really grates Fernando now.

As far as he is concerned the team has gone backwards compared to last year. No progress compared to Red Bull and now he is also having to fight Mercedes and Lotus regularly to boot which dilutes the points available when one car tends to be doing all the winning. Now if another so called top liner joins Ferrari that will likely take even more points off him!!

Fernando must have a clause in his contract that says if the right things haven't happened after 3 years or whatever, then he is free to talk.... about other things....

When Alonso has come incredibly close in 2 of the 4 years, and give his all in the other 2 when they haven't been very strong, why on earth would you want to alienate him?! It must be the old inner politik factor effing everything up again?
Old 9 Sep 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3300965)   #554
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I seem to recall that prior to the Schumacher era Ferrari always used to run two outstanding drivers.

Villeneuve/Pironi
Arnoux/Tambay
Berger/Alboreto
Berger/Alesi
Prost/Mansell

They didn't win the title for years until Schumacher arrived so maybe that's why they switched to an outright number one supported by a "fall guy".

Two headline drivers kept them away from the WDC for 21 years!
Barrichello was a match for at least Arnoux, Tambay, Berger, Alboreto or Alesi; and I've always thought Irvine was very underestimated.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3301117)   #555
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why Ferrari are dicking about with driver selection when all their focus should be on producing a Red Bull equalling car is beyond me.

Do that and Alonso will rattle off titles like shelling peas.

Massa is the perfect foil,fast enough,experienced,very loyal and quite happy to ride shotgun.Why attempt to pair Alonso with Raikkonen....that's just going to compound their problems.

They've already got a Champion in waiting.....just give him the damn machinery!

Meanwhile, RBR have avoided that particular can of worms by sensibly pairing Ricciardo with their Ace.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 19:42 (Ref:3301148)   #556
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe Ferrari go nuts with all the frustration over seasons past and RBR dominance ! Mad italians are dangerous !
Old 9 Sep 2013, 20:03 (Ref:3301159)   #557
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Why Ferrari are dicking about with driver selection when all their focus should be on producing a Red Bull equalling car is beyond me.

Do that and Alonso will rattle off titles like shelling peas.

Massa is the perfect foil,fast enough,experienced,very loyal and quite happy to ride shotgun.Why attempt to pair Alonso with Raikkonen....that's just going to compound their problems.

They've already got a Champion in waiting.....just give him the damn machinery!

Meanwhile, RBR have avoided that particular can of worms by sensibly pairing Ricciardo with their Ace.
I'm sure Ferrari are trying to produce a Red Bull equalling car but it might very well be like davyboy says in his post #546, Alonso doesn't spend the time with the team developing the car, or maybe he's not particularly good when it come to helping develop the car. Wouldn't it be ironic if Massa were better at developing the car, which is one reason why he's still there.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 20:16 (Ref:3301173)   #558
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Ferrari replace Alonso with Kimi, then Ferrari will probably need a devlopment driver alongside him. I never got the impression that Kimi is the sort of driver who can devlop a car and push a team. To me he is a driver who will tell you the car is whatever and drive it to its full potential.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 20:19 (Ref:3301178)   #559
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Yep, Ricciardo and Rimmer for 2014!
Old 9 Sep 2013, 20:32 (Ref:3301190)   #560
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Massa is the development driver in an underperforming team, what does that say about the development driver?
Old 9 Sep 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3301196)   #561
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yep, Ricciardo and Rimmer for 2014!
Smoke me a kipper.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3301197)   #562
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Massa is the development driver in an underperforming team, what does that say about the development driver?
It says Ferrari's focus is on Alonso.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 23:25 (Ref:3301246)   #563
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some important information from my old friend Livio Oricchio :

http://translate.google.com.br/trans...072923%2C0.htm
Old 10 Sep 2013, 12:11 (Ref:3301450)   #564
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa out, Alonso out? Replaced by Raikko and Hulk... Anyone?
Old 10 Sep 2013, 12:45 (Ref:3301466)   #565
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
When was the last season without a Brazilian driver?
Old 10 Sep 2013, 12:52 (Ref:3301469)   #566
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Some important information from my old friend Livio Oricchio :

http://translate.google.com.br/trans...072923%2C0.htm
That's an interesting article, with Bernie meddling behind the scenes.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 13:33 (Ref:3301483)   #567
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
During the Italian Grand Prix only one person actually challenged Vettel for the lead! A certain Brazilian who made a fantastic start, and almost took the lead at the first corner forcing the Red Bull driver to flat spot his tyres to stay ahead.
Clearly the Red Bull's were the fastest cars, and it took all of Alonso skill to pass Webber and then stay ahead, while Massa also held off Webber until a slower pit stop dropped him behind, but he was always close after that. So if Alonso can't beat Vettel, it is logical that Massa can't beat Webber, therefore fourth place was the best he could achieve. Nothing wrong with that Luca!
Old 10 Sep 2013, 15:56 (Ref:3301526)   #568
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
When was the last season without a Brazilian driver?

In 1969, Emerson Fittipaldi started to race in F1 at Brands Hatch and since then there were always brazilians in F1. Brazil has 8 WDCs, Emerson (2), Piquet (3) and Senna (3), only behind Germany and UK.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 20:08 (Ref:3301641)   #569
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139148