Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 31 Dec 2013, 11:50 (Ref:3349156)   #1501
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
The possibility is 0%.
Since Mazda does not have a parent company, a management base is vulnerable.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 12:18 (Ref:3349166)   #1502
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
The possibility is 0%.
Since Mazda does not have a parent company, a management base is vulnerable.
There has been some talk for some time about Mazda's unique situation, of not being tied up with other manufactures. Are there any rumors or talks about Mazda seeking this?
Old 31 Dec 2013, 12:36 (Ref:3349168)   #1503
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
There has been some talk for some time about Mazda's unique situation, of not being tied up with other manufactures. Are there any rumors or talks about Mazda seeking this?
I don't know.
Certainly Mazda's SKYACTIV technology is cool.
But Mazda does not have tomorrow's technology (hybrid, FCV etc).
Therefore, Mazda will enter under the influence of big automobile group in the future.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 18:02 (Ref:3349254)   #1504
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Japanese Samurai, did Mazda better in finances???
I'm no Samurai, but I've heard that Mazda are increasing production volumes to satisfy the demand on the new CX-5, 6 and 3. In short term they rely on advances in DFI ICE technology but there is also a super-capacitor based hybrid system that you get in top-spec models (at this point it only powers the auxiliaries, not the propulsion).
But the general understanding seems to be that they ARE seeking partnerships with large manufacturers, even if it's on one-model basis as currently the case with FIAT.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 22:14 (Ref:3349324)   #1505
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
It must be Toyota.
It is an open secret that Toyota was doing the engine test using S101.5.
Yes, Toyota indeed, 2.3.12 entry: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsjan12.html
Old 1 Jan 2014, 00:55 (Ref:3349345)   #1506
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In my opinion the S102 design was also the starting point for TMG. I remember that the german paper " Motorsport aktuell" published a pic of a TS030 wind tunnel model in TMG tunnel in their LM preview 2012. The model was a quite early stage lacking the big honking fin and showed an incrediable similarity to the S102 design beside some changes on a more pronounced narrower noise with a small raised leading edge and a splitter shape similar to the one Dome used in LM 2012.
Old 1 Jan 2014, 10:33 (Ref:3349394)   #1507
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
But the general understanding seems to be that they ARE seeking partnerships with large manufacturers, even if it's on one-model basis as currently the case with FIAT.
Technology partnerships happens all the time, and is very common in the Automotive world. What I was asking about is a merger/financial tie up, in the style of Renault/Nissan, which can increase Mazda's ability to withstand recessions, and allow them to run more risk full investments, like Motorsport.
Old 1 Jan 2014, 15:46 (Ref:3349451)   #1508
tpa8580
Rookie

tpa8580 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
What kinda of hybrid solution Mazda have???
What I meant to say was that I hoped to see the Dome in LMP1 config with a hybrid power train. If this will happen I don't know, probably not but would be great to see.
Obviously they don't have a hybrid system currently.
Old 1 Jan 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3349457)   #1509
tpa8580
Rookie

tpa8580 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's no secret that Dome wants to team up with a manufacturer in the LMP1 category. It would be a major boost since manufacturers tend to come with big bucks.
Some of you speculate on Toyota, I speculated on Mazda or maybe even Nissan. The last two made more sense to me. Keyword here is "made".

What would motivate Toyota to move to a Dome made chassis? I know they did their initial testing with an old Dome chassis? Would it be cost that would drive them towards this decision. Their own car was never bad in terms of aero was it?
This decision doesn't make sense to me. But maybe somebody has a different take on this.

Mazda obviously is its own master, since as some of you have pointed out, it isn't tied up with any other manufacturer. This as Japanese Samurai pointed out would probably make it difficult for them. The fact that they don't have hybrid technology makes it even more uncertain since manufacturers have to race with a hybrid in the LMP1 class.

If they go with Japanese engines this leaves pretty much only Nissan. But something tells me they want to stay with the DW design.
Old 1 Jan 2014, 16:23 (Ref:3349459)   #1510
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Toyota connection was before the TS030 and I think that the relationship between Toyota and Dome isn't the best after they decided to do their own thing with TMG.
Toyota has absolutely no reason to move from TMG to Dome. If they want to have a silightest chance with questionable engine descision they need the best possible aero and suspension and for this the former Formula One guys at TMG are the right guys.
For the S103 a new manufacturer must be part of the game. Nissan could be as they need a new car for 2015 and are quite late for building one if they have not started any design work.
But I can also imagine Mazda. Dome does not need any know-how or help to design or build a really competivite car. They need money and a strong engine.
Old 1 Jan 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3349460)   #1511
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Does Mazda no longer have any links with Ford?
Old 1 Jan 2014, 18:52 (Ref:3349500)   #1512
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, ford only has like 3% stock left in Mazda.

Last edited by Lagunaseca_4life; 1 Jan 2014 at 19:13.
Old 1 Jan 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3349523)   #1513
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I always wondered what would be the performance of a Dome 102 with the Mazda AER 4 cylinder engine. The engine used by Dyson in the ALMS.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 04:22 (Ref:3355495)   #1514
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Autosport magazine Hiroshi Fushida (president of Dome) interview.

*Dome was asking not for the customer but for the partner.
*Strakka pays not only race activity expense but also chassis manufacture expense. Dome shares the responsibility for design and Strakka shares the responsibility of manufacture. Therefore, Strakka also takes charge of procurement of parts.
*Dome S103 must have overwhelming performance compared with other old generation LMP2.
*Even if it compares with AUDI or Porsche, Dome S103 is an epoch-making machine. It will bring new trends to LeMans.
*The partnership of Dome and Strakka is continuous one.
*Second car is depend on the action policy of Strakka, and the sponsor.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 06:40 (Ref:3355506)   #1515
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Liking the sound of that. Sounds like Strakka and Dome have a good partnership. They sound confident, hope they have good reason to feel that way.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 22:43 (Ref:3355723)   #1516
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Me too, Strakka and Dome could develop into a real catch for a incoming car manufacture.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 01:15 (Ref:3355754)   #1517
Jack Spratt
Rookie

Jack Spratt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Me too, Strakka and Dome could develop into a real catch for a incoming car manufacture.
With all of these people coming out with press releases about new P2 designs and their intention to sell them to customers I have yet to see any of them explain to me how they are going to make money selling a cost capped cat that is more expensive to produce than sell.

Strakka pulled out of P1 citing a lack of funds and I cannot see how a team that is set up to provide a play thing for its rich owner can be a player in the P2 market.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 01:34 (Ref:3355758)   #1518
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They all run their businesses as tax write-offs.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 14:25 (Ref:3356708)   #1519
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Spratt View Post
With all of these people coming out with press releases about new P2 designs and their intention to sell them to customers I have yet to see any of them explain to me how they are going to make money selling a cost capped cat that is more expensive to produce than sell.

Strakka pulled out of P1 citing a lack of funds and I cannot see how a team that is set up to provide a play thing for its rich owner can be a player in the P2 market.
Proven track record, winning P2 at Le Mans and best finishing independent team in 2013. Dome speak for themselves. Together they are a formidable prospect, especially back in P2.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 14:43 (Ref:3366461)   #1520
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Autosport reports Dome S103 (early LMP1 version)'s "Grand Canyon"(Front fender area).
http://www.as-books.jp/books/info.php?no=AST20140214

Last edited by Japanese Samurai; 10 Feb 2014 at 14:54.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 18:38 (Ref:3366537)   #1521
templer
Racer

Quote:
Japanese Autosport reports Dome S103 (early LMP1 version)'s "Grand Canyon"(Front fender area).
http://www.as-books.jp/books/info.php?no=AST20140214
Oh wow, great find. Very interesting solution with the shuttered barge-boards inside the fenders.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3366764)   #1522
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by templer View Post
Oh wow, great find. Very interesting solution with the shuttered barge-boards inside the fenders.
Almost a Formula E type solution with the closed wheel, open fender. The bargeboards look like an evolution of the S102.5 and TS030 (3 vs. 2 elements).
Old 11 Feb 2014, 09:37 (Ref:3366806)   #1523
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
That link is showing nothing relevant to me ?
Old 11 Feb 2014, 09:39 (Ref:3366808)   #1524
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
That link is showing nothing relevant to me ?
Here are the pictures.

Old 11 Feb 2014, 09:40 (Ref:3366810)   #1525
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Thanks.