Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Jan 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3019573)   #626
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
this "do nothing they'll come to us" attitude is going nowhere

crazy!
I think we all agree with you promax (I do certainly).

It's well known on this forum that V8ST put it out that there would be a private late afternoon test at HD on Monday and a pile of people turned up, including the media. There was an excellent report on TV3 news last night, photos and comments throughout other media including Facebook (don't underestimate it's reach either) Even the NZV8 Championship points leader wants one!

MSNZ/TMC are being blown out of the water here, and that's for all to see.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 21:50 (Ref:3019581)   #627
Stockman
Rookie

Stockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post

MSNZ/TMC are being blown out of the water here, and that's for all to see.
Agree but I state again, why is it expected my club, licence and race fees should subsidise promoting a class that I and alot of others have no particular interest in ?

Why should MSNZ get involved in promoting one class over others, although in this case its quite obvious as they have now got a financial interest in the outcome.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 21:59 (Ref:3019590)   #628
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
including Facebook (don't underestimate it's reach either)
well i don't think TMC/MSNZ are reaching anyone with a few pics from the speedshow unveiling.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 22:00 (Ref:3019592)   #629
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockman View Post
Agree but I state again, why is it expected my club, licence and race fees should subsidise promoting a class that I and alot of others have no particular interest in ?
well it shouldn't
Old 31 Jan 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3019596)   #630
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
well i don't think TMC/MSNZ are reaching anyone with a few pics from the speedshow unveiling.
Probably not, but social media is just one part of the current marketing mix.

I don't think MSNZ/TMC are doing too well across the board at all, especially in marketing and promotions.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3019600)   #631
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Couldn't agree with you more Promax, it doesn't take much to get some interest going, and thats where this new CoTF project has failed, miserably. And sad thing is that some kiwis will loose money here, and thats no good whichever side of the fence you choose to sit on.

I dont see why the new MRX car cant be seen as the new car for the V8 Challenge Cup. Think of it this way, in oz they have the main game and the fujitsu series (although not called that anymore). But the main thing is they are still the same car.

To allow some kiwi made stuff in the competition why dont they keep building the MRX cars and plant the kiwi seq box in them but with the control ST engine (if that would work???) and run them as the feeder series to the ST main game. The plus of this is that you would have very similar cars both in appearance and performance. In my head this could work, but i know there will be bolitics (a cross between bollacks and polictics) that would stop this from working. But lets face it, the old cars are done for, so why not start from scratch and have everyone (the ST guys and the MRX guys) working together in harmony with the goal of simply creating an amazing series that is right up there globally.

I am well aware of the fact that i am dreamer but hey, this could work
I proposed this a looooonnnnnggg time ago that you could have for lack of a better word right now, a Super V8 Race Meeting, where NZV8s could run their own race and V8ST run their own race. It's been a while, but I think everyone dismissed my idea as barking mad, however V8ST did add the V8 Challenge Cup later on.

If it is too much of a cost barrier for people to afford V8ST, then you could have the MRX car along with the older NZV8's run as a privateer/developmental series. I'll let the engineering wizards figure out how to balance it all, but it should not be that big a deal and just like in the Fujitsu series in Australia, everyone knows the older the spec of the car you purchase the slower it's going to be for the most part. However people can compete and enter with the equipment that is financially doable for their wallet.

Basically lets put egos aside and everyone work together, so that everyone can compete at what price point they can afford and everyone can work together to have a strong national series with plenty of great racing on offer.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 22:17 (Ref:3019608)   #632
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I proposed this a looooonnnnnggg time ago that you could have for lack of a better word right now, a Super V8 Race Meeting, where NZV8s could run their own race and V8ST run their own race. It's been a while, but I think everyone dismissed my idea as barking mad, however V8ST did add the V8 Challenge Cup later on.

If it is too much of a cost barrier for people to afford V8ST, then you could have the MRX car along with the older NZV8's run as a privateer/developmental series. I'll let the engineering wizards figure out how to balance it all, but it should not be that big a deal and just like in the Fujitsu series in Australia, everyone knows the older the spec of the car you purchase the slower it's going to be for the most part. However people can compete and enter with the equipment that is financially doable for their wallet.

Basically lets put egos aside and everyone work together, so that everyone can compete at what price point they can afford and everyone can work together to have a strong national series with plenty of great racing on offer.

well put...here here The more i think of it the more i think it can work, but only if the powers that be want it to
Old 1 Feb 2012, 01:53 (Ref:3019659)   #633
Stockman
Rookie

Quote:
It needs more than just putting ego's aside, it needs recognising the problems within the administration and fixing that first, its not just ST that have had problems but the first to do something about it.

It appears ST are doing their own thing and so far quite sucessfully. Do they need MSNZ ?
To work together there needs to be a benefit to both classes, so far I can only see a benefit to one, the one who is currently suffering from bad PR.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 02:05 (Ref:3019660)   #634
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It needs more than just putting ego's aside, it needs recognising the problems within the administration and fixing that first, its not just ST that have had problems but the first to do something about it.

It appears ST are doing their own thing and so far quite sucessfully. Do they need MSNZ ?
To work together there needs to be a benefit to both classes, so far I can only see a benefit to one, the one who is currently suffering from bad PR.
A very good point about whether MSNZ is needed or not. One of the fundamental issues with MSNZ that impacts on many forms of motor sport (not just Tier 1) is their mistaken belief that they have a monopoly on running circuit racing in NZ. They may have an exclusive mandate from FIA but this is next to meaningless for 90% of competitors (it only really effects those who want to compete overseas). If MSNZ adjusted their attitude and became more proactive to the real needs of competitors then the environment for co-operation between various factions may start to improve.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 02:38 (Ref:3019668)   #635
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Sure there is always room for MSNZ and always will be. Circuit safety, car safety, driver safety and licensing standards, standards for marshals and their safety, spectator safety, rules and standards for competitors on track, representing the sport and assisting it's members when they go overseas, such as international licenses, helping with rules for race classes, etc.

CAMS survived after they got left behind by V8 Supercars in terms of getting involved in the business side of things.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 02:47 (Ref:3019671)   #636
Stockman
Rookie

Quote:
Sure there is always room for MSNZ and always will be. Circuit safety, car safety, driver safety and licensing standards, standards for marshals and their safety, spectator safety, rules and standards for competitors on track, representing the sport and assisting it's members when they go overseas, such as international licenses, helping with rules for race classes, etc.

CAMS survived after they got left behind by V8 Supercars in terms of getting involved in the business side of things.

Yep correct I forgot, their primary role.
Got to involved with the things they were doing outside this.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 07:19 (Ref:3019719)   #637
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
But don't forget in recent times we have only seen one fuel cell explode, then suddenly we need to redesign the car?
Which ONE fuel cell explosion are we talking about? Reindlers or Besnards?
Quote:
I think the main reason they moved the tank forward was for weight purposes,after the fitting of the new trans axel. Safety doesn't end with just rear end hits, what happens if a car leaves the track and mounts a barrier puncturing the tank, or runs over debris on the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Supercars.com.au View Post
The new cars will have a fuel tank that will be moved forward from the boot and sit inside the main chassis. That means that the fireball that engulfed Karl Reindler's car at Barbagallo earlier in the year would be less likely in future in the case of a rear-end collision.
So I guess you’d think wrong. V8 Supercars have repeatedly stated that the shift forward is for safety reasons.
Quote:
One crash and now it's to unsafe to have in the boot of the car? after how many years??? I would rather the bomb in my backyard than under my bed.
Let me say this, the trans axle and the fuel tank changes were not thought up over night. If they put the fuel tank in front of the rear axle, then they would need to put some replacement weight at rear axle, hence the trans axle.
In our car we have always tried as much as possible to put more weight at the rear of the rear axle, not less.
I'll forget for a second that there were actually at least 2 instances this year. But logic says they’ve had a development budget that runs into the tens of millions, a mandate to make the cars as safe as possible and the combined wisdom of every engineer in V8Supercars, the likes of T8 and Prodrive and it’s all been overseen by the FIA… I would say that's safe bet that they have a clue about which location minimises the risks for the driver..... but clearly they should have come and asked you.
Just as a matter of interest, as your car is clearly the bench mark for safety and race car engineering what is it? LMP? GT1? WRC? F1?
Old 1 Feb 2012, 08:10 (Ref:3019730)   #638
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
Which ONE fuel cell explosion are we talking about? Reindlers or Besnards?

So I guess you’d think wrong. V8 Supercars have repeatedly stated that the shift forward is for safety reasons.

I'll forget for a second that there were actually at least 2 instances this year.
There was one a number of years ago too, my memory is hazy but it involved someone stalling near the front of the grid and a back marker took him out doing probably 120km/h. Huge fireball, etc. etc. Luckily nobody was badly injured.

So I guess it must happen a bit if there have been two last season. Never seen it with a rolling start though, if I read correctly the ST's will be doing rolling starts?
Old 1 Feb 2012, 08:20 (Ref:3019733)   #639
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
There was one a number of years ago too, my memory is hazy but it involved someone stalling near the front of the grid and a back marker took him out doing probably 120km/h. Huge fireball, etc. etc. Luckily nobody was badly injured.

So I guess it must happen a bit if there have been two last season. Never seen it with a rolling start though, if I read correctly the ST's will be doing rolling starts?
You will be thinking of the Paul Morris one??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiYJR2ojne0
Old 1 Feb 2012, 08:35 (Ref:3019736)   #640
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKTPmyVarN8

Just so long as there's no rolling starts and everyone promises to go head on into the barriers everybody should be right.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 08:51 (Ref:3019738)   #641
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKTPmyVarN8

Just so long as there's no rolling starts and everyone promises to go head on into the barriers everybody should be right.
I guess I must have been thinking of the Morris one. Looks a bit different to how I remember though...

The Besnard one I hadn't seen - you reckon it would have happened like that if they had been using regular fuel?

I reckon that mix looked pretty volatile, bit like the nitro mix they use at IRL. I recall F1 used to use exotic fuels then the FIA made them change to "ordinary" gasoline. Funny old game, isn't it?

Last edited by Goat Boy; 1 Feb 2012 at 08:58.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 10:44 (Ref:3019765)   #642
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari F1 use Vpower apparently
Old 1 Feb 2012, 19:02 (Ref:3019926)   #643
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Goat Boy that fuel was nothing special at all. E85 blend petrol. Same as used in public pumps in many areas of the world. Wouldn't have matters if it was that or our 91 result would have been the same.
Nitro in IRL? Are you sure?
Old 1 Feb 2012, 20:14 (Ref:3019957)   #644
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrosNZ View Post
Ferrari F1 use Vpower apparently
I know... he used to top the car up when he was driving it to the track... saw it on that ad!
Old 1 Feb 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3019965)   #645
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
Goat Boy that fuel was nothing special at all. E85 blend petrol. Same as used in public pumps in many areas of the world. Wouldn't have matters if it was that or our 91 result would have been the same.
E85 is actually less energy dense and has higher auto ignition and flash point temperatures.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3019970)   #646
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
Methanol (sans or con nirtomethane?), they certainly did use it not long ago, but that changed to ethanol in 2005 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IndyCar_Series#Fuel)

I remember that you couldn't see it burn, and rather than use fire extinguishers on it the marshalls used to tip buckets of water on it.

I would have thought that ethanol, being an alcohol (served in may bars in the Greek Islands) would have had a lower flash point than normal gasoline. But perhaps it doesn't by the time they've finished with it.

Last edited by Goat Boy; 1 Feb 2012 at 21:12.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3019971)   #647
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
I know... he used to top the car up when he was driving it to the track... saw it on that ad!
Good ad, that!
Old 1 Feb 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3019984)   #648
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ethanol and methanol are alot different com nitro though
Old 1 Feb 2012, 22:11 (Ref:3020013)   #649
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
hmm it's almost too quiet on the NZV8 front? i was expecting at least press release after all that's been going on this week. any chance there will be a surprise at the Manfeild round...

will the FG turn up with a newly fitted coyote + 6 speed?

will a new gen VE make an appearance?

will i get hired as the NZV8's promo manager and get paid with beer and promo girls?

or will things stay the same?
Old 1 Feb 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3020020)   #650
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
hmm it's almost too quiet on the NZV8 front? i was expecting at least press release after all that's been going on this week. any chance there will be a surprise at the Manfeild round...

will the FG turn up with a newly fitted coyote + 6 speed?

will a new gen VE make an appearance?

will i get hired as the NZV8's promo manager and get paid with beer and promo girls?

or will things stay the same?
Well I hope for your sake it's the first three, but I suspect it will be the fourth...