Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Feb 2012, 10:30 (Ref:3020946)   #676
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well, I guess we'll find out soon enough. The first public test on the 10th could give some insight.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3021239)   #677
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
Which ONE fuel cell explosion are we talking about? Reindlers or Besnards?

So I guess you’d think wrong. V8 Supercars have repeatedly stated that the shift forward is for safety reasons.

I'll forget for a second that there were actually at least 2 instances this year. But logic says they’ve had a development budget that runs into the tens of millions, a mandate to make the cars as safe as possible and the combined wisdom of every engineer in V8Supercars, the likes of T8 and Prodrive and it’s all been overseen by the FIA… I would say that's safe bet that they have a clue about which location minimises the risks for the driver..... but clearly they should have come and asked you.
Just as a matter of interest, as your car is clearly the bench mark for safety and race car engineering what is it? LMP? GT1? WRC? F1?

You and I both know that you are taking some of what I say out of context, or maybe you are misreading my posts. But you were correct, I had forgotten the Besnard crash, so that makes two in the last ten years, the Larkhum was back in 2000.

Have you watched footage of the Larkhun crash lately, most interesting! you see him open the door and start climbing out of the car, the rear of the car is totally on fire, yet the fire marshal is able to help him away from the car. Which is exactly what my point is all about, he is able to get out of the car, without stepping into the fire. Because the fire is not coming out from under the centre of the car, it is at the rear of the car and it was contained there long enough for him to get out and away.

I don't believe everything I here at press releases, as they vary so much from the truth at times, if you believe everything your hear then you would be a politicians dream. Didn't they say that the Titanic was unsinkable? As I said there were SC people who were not keen on moving the fuel cell initially, so I am not on my own there, but then they could have changed their minds since, people do that.

As I stated there are pro's and con's for both the ST and the SC, but I am sure they will both compliment each other, because they are both being manufactured from the same stable. They are both thoroughbreds and will be great racecars, in there own right

The fuel cell in the ST is held in a fully welded heavy guage steel box, positioned at the front of the boot, not like the NZV8, which has a light aluminum drop tank at the rear of the boot area. I agree with Mark Petch, with what he had to say about the safety of the ST vs the SC, there are aspects of the ST that he thinks are better.

In answer to your comment, referring that it's a wonder they haven't contacted me, well to date they haven't ha-ha. However I can say that I have worked in the field of inspecting and annualising the structual integrity of motor vehicles for the past twent five years, so I do know my way around a car.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 00:12 (Ref:3021277)   #678
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
.. or longer

the chassis started coming into the country back in August/September(?).. so far we've only seen a handful of completed cars... and that's only in the last couple of weeks.
I like to think of him as premix due to the inconsistency in the brew.

3 months x 4 weeks per month x 5 working days per week x 8hr working day = 480 man hours. Is that a lot?

Or is it 4 months x 4 weeks per month x 7 working days x 16hr working day = 1792 man hours

If I know anything in life it is that to prep a racecar PROPERLY takes pretty much the same amount of time irrespective of what it is.

Also I know that if all the parts aren't there when you start you can't finish but you can muddle around endlessly with what you have.

As a point of interest - what tyres is the MRX thingy running on?
Old 4 Feb 2012, 00:56 (Ref:3021292)   #679
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
LMAO!!! that feels like a bite

*starts reeling him in*
Old 4 Feb 2012, 01:54 (Ref:3021305)   #680
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
LMAO!!! that feels like a bite

*starts reeling him in*
Sure. And when closer to the boat you'll need a gaff - but then you've already made plenty of those.

LOL

Smiley Face

Sigh
Old 4 Feb 2012, 04:11 (Ref:3021315)   #681
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
20 CMC's will be like music to my ears

only 6 days to go!! (or 4 day if you're a fish since they only count working days lol)
Old 5 Feb 2012, 04:31 (Ref:3021699)   #682
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did any NZV8s get tech'ed or have issues with tech inspection at the last round?
Old 5 Feb 2012, 04:53 (Ref:3021701)   #683
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Did any NZV8s get tech'ed or have issues with tech inspection at the last round?
http://www.motorsport.org.nz/sites/d...Jan%202012.doc
Old 6 Feb 2012, 00:13 (Ref:3021992)   #684
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
But you were correct, I had forgotten the Besnard crash, so that makes two in the last ten years
But more to the point, two in the last year, which means there's a common factor - in this case two big rear end hits on an apparently poorly protected tank.

Tanks have a rubber bladder in them which means you have to compromise both the tank and the bladder. In my experience as a fire marshal for over 20 years it's unusual to do this except when the tank is put under extreme compression, leaving the fuel with nowhere to go but out. The best cure for this is distance between the tank and the impact, and moving it furhter within the vehicle, often with another layer of protection, is a common saftey feature. If a car with a tank nearer the centre finds it's damaged sufficiently to leak disastrously by being dragged along a barrier or some of the other scenarios you described, the chances are the fire is not the drivers biggest worry by then.
Old 7 Feb 2012, 01:52 (Ref:3022457)   #685
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Manfeild Round 5 10-12 Feb

2 Angus Fogg
4 Simon Richards
5 Martin Short
007 Nick Ross
9 Alan McCarrison
11 Simon Evans
12 Jason Bargwanna
16 Phil Blythe
19 Dwayne Carter
20 Haydn Mackenzie
26 Tim Edgell
40 Bronson Porter
70 Andrew Anderson
74 Ross Cameron

hopefully we'll see Michael Bristow's name added to this list
How many are using this as a tune up for the Challenge Cup?
Old 10 Feb 2012, 07:17 (Ref:3023964)   #686
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
hmm what to say..

the MRX car looks decent in the flesh! although the carb engine does look a little out of place. bring on the coyote!

Steve Taylor in the ex Orr Commodore?

no sign of Bristow

the muscle cars sound good!

the muscle cars sound real good!
Old 10 Feb 2012, 07:27 (Ref:3023965)   #687
Comal
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Comal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be interesting to see how Taylor goes driving that shed. Fitness may let him down.
Old 10 Feb 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3024254)   #688
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should be closer at the front looking at test times
Old 11 Feb 2012, 05:46 (Ref:3024427)   #689
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Edgell too quick!
Old 11 Feb 2012, 21:34 (Ref:3024631)   #690
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
But more to the point, two in the last year, which means there's a common factor - in this case two big rear end hits on an apparently poorly protected tank.

Tanks have a rubber bladder in them which means you have to compromise both the tank and the bladder. In my experience as a fire marshal for over 20 years it's unusual to do this except when the tank is put under extreme compression, leaving the fuel with nowhere to go but out. The best cure for this is distance between the tank and the impact, and moving it furhter within the vehicle, often with another layer of protection, is a common saftey feature. If a car with a tank nearer the centre finds it's damaged sufficiently to leak disastrously by being dragged along a barrier or some of the other scenarios you described, the chances are the fire is not the drivers biggest worry by then.

The Larkhun crash was back in 2000 and as we both know there has been two further rear end crashes last year, as you say there is a common factor, it is a common factor of two. There are two ways to overcome the problem of fire resulting from rear end crashes. One is to move the fuel cell further towards the middle of the car, or secondly you need make the fuel cell box stronger, if you are going to leave it in the rear of the car.

The way drivers or people react to accidents is very simple, our minds race and once the accident is over, we first check that everything is working correctly and that we don't have any major pain.
As soon as our minds and bodies have over come our first reactions, which is split second stuff, then the drivers biggest fear returns, FIRE, fire is one of the biggest fears drivers have.

If you do not agree with me, then I would suggest you look up on the net and read what most of the worlds top drivers, past and present have to say about fire.
It is at the top of there list and most fear fire more than they fear the accident itself.
Old 12 Feb 2012, 21:27 (Ref:3024980)   #691
Pseudonym
Rookie

Pseudonym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone care to shed any light on the illegal cylinder heads found on the Tulloch cars that were swept under the carpet???
Old 12 Feb 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3025003)   #692
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
wellington engine builder strikes again?
Old 12 Feb 2012, 23:26 (Ref:3025023)   #693
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For some reason (Dont know why) heads were removed from Simon Evans car and found to be illegal.

Technical committe wrote up a full report about it, the illegality was blatant and could not be argued.

Technical committee gave back the head to Tullochs team and forgot to get someone from tullochs team to sign the incident form.

Robbo looks at the paperwork and puts it in the bin because the signature is missing.

Tech department ask for the head back but it is long gone, evidence not there anymore so signature not required.

New heads this round on both Evans and Bargwanas car.

All of the above I have heard thru chinese whispers at the track so it may not be 100% but I believe it to be at least 95% true and would happily stand to be corrected?

The question I would pose to all the NZV8 compeitiors is why did Bargwana's car have new heads on it at this weekend too? When the seals on the heads were removed to replace his old heads for these new ones, who checked the heads comming off? Both engines built by the same builder, why should one be any different to the other?
Old 12 Feb 2012, 23:55 (Ref:3025037)   #694
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
If you do not agree with me, then I would suggest you look up on the net and read what most of the worlds top drivers, past and present have to say about fire.
Forgive me. Having been involved in extinguishing 13 fires in my marshalling career is apparently irrelevant.

I quite understand drivers' fear of fire, it is horrifying. The best cure is to do what you can to prevent it occurring, and moving the fuel cell as far as possible from potential impact is the best option, and then firewalling it away from the driver is the next stage. The actual construction of fuel tanks these days is hugely improved over years past and it takes a significant impact to cause a fire. As has been proved this last season, hanging it out the back where it is vulnerable to a rear-end collision allows that impact to happen. Burying it in the middle means it's not going to be hit in the first place.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 00:14 (Ref:3025043)   #695
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeat Driver View Post
For some reason (Dont know why) heads were removed from Simon Evans car and found to be illegal.

Technical committe wrote up a full report about it, the illegality was blatant and could not be argued.

Technical committee gave back the head to Tullochs team and forgot to get someone from tullochs team to sign the incident form.

Robbo looks at the paperwork and puts it in the bin because the signature is missing.

Tech department ask for the head back but it is long gone, evidence not there anymore so signature not required.

All of the above I have heard thru chinese whispers at the track so it may not be 100% but I believe it to be at least 95% true and would happily stand to be corrected?

The question I would pose to all the NZV8 compeitiors is why did Bargwana's car have new heads on it at this weekend too? When the seals on the heads were removed to replace his old heads for these new ones, who checked the heads comming off? Both engines built by the same builder, why should one be any different to the other?
it shouldn't
Old 13 Feb 2012, 00:19 (Ref:3025044)   #696
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
speaking of gripes...

wonder who came up with the bright idea of replacing half the grandstand seating with a Toyota Prado car park? i had on_to_it's words ringing in my ears after seeing that.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 03:57 (Ref:3025094)   #697
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeat Driver View Post

I suppose it could have been that TMC didn't want any negative NZV8 publicity in this time of turmoil. I'm sure the fact that Robbo is a director of a company which also has on it's board a current director of TMC and a recently resigned director of TMC, has nothing to do with it.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 09:39 (Ref:3025162)   #698
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Too many riddles....!
Old 13 Feb 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3025171)   #699
isoskim
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
isoskim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
I suppose it could have been that TMC didn't want any negative NZV8 publicity in this time of turmoil. I'm sure the fact that Robbo is a director of a company which also has on it's board a current director of TMC and a recently resigned director of TMC, has nothing to do with it.
how does a mistake of a technical committee have anything to do with TMC. I really don't see any point in questioning Robbo's decision on throwing out the form as the signature was missing as he was only doing his job, just like the bank wouldn't accept me cashing a cheque without the other parties signature. Robbo would never act in self-interest and by questioning him shows how little you know about him and the other officials at the top level of NZ motorsport.

BackSeat Driver : I believe you to be correct about the heads on evans, unsure about bargs.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 10:33 (Ref:3025175)   #700
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So.. Even if engines have seals on them they can still be illegal?