Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 21 Jun 2000, 01:01 (Ref:18385)   #1
Jo
Rookie

Jo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody have any useful info about tyre tread patterns. I have to do a short presentation for my uni course and need an interesting angle to take. I've got the basic background info, but need some good examples. To make the presentation interesting I thought I would take examples from F1 and rallying as well as road cars, trucks etc.

I am particualrly interested from the motorsport point of view in how the tread patterns suit different conditions and at what point one pattern becomes preferable over another. Any ineresting slant on the subject would be very much appreciated. I'm sure there's someone out there who knows something - any facts and figures very much appreciated!!!

Cheers.
Old 21 Jun 2000, 03:05 (Ref:18409)   #2
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm afraid this is not really my field, Jo.
But I'll do my best!

I notice you have an understanding of the basics, but it's worth mentioning.

We know that tread patterns are used to create a contact patch on the road, even when that road surface my be covered in water, gravel or whatever. This really is the only purpose for grooves in tyre's surface. The ultimate grip from any tyre in any situation, is a slick tyre in hot dry conditions. Thus, any tread pattern is a compromise.

Any tread pattern is a compromise between water control, wear, temperature, noise and most importantly, traction.
The more the 'blocks' of tread move, the less responsive the tyre feels. Thus the tyre tread pattern has to be designed to be 'tight'. That is, to have minimum squirm.

The latest unidirectionals are used simply to process a greater amount of water, more quickly and efficiently. Failure to do this adequately results in aqua-planing, or total loss of traction due to a fluid boundary layer.
The plan is to expel the water to the sides of the tyre, rather than have run through the circumferencial grooves. This also creates a clear path for any following tyre.

I hope this has been of some help (probably none!) But I suggest you try something else.
There are many, many articles on the web regarding tread pattern selection, use, pro's and con's etc.
I suggest you select a manufacturer; Goodyear, Yokohama etc and search for information directly. They will be only too pleased to discuss the merits of their products.

(Take a tip - act like you want to buy!) Talk to A and discuss the merits of another manufacturer, B and ask to be convinced about why A's products are superior. It always works!

And Good Luck with the presentation!
Old 23 Jun 2000, 12:47 (Ref:18927)   #3
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well one of the first tread patterns was a Firestone and it was just the words Non Skid all around the tyre,most tread patterns are now noise treated which if you look at a tyre the tread lugs are slightly different shapes and sizes which cuts down road noise,which also can cause cars sickness due to harmonics working on the inner ear.Pick a large tyre company near where you live go knock on their door and ask to speak with their technical guy,or if there is a manufacturing plant ask for a factory tour,its quite amazing seeing the process from start to finish.i'll look through what company info i have and if you have a fax can send it to you.
Old 5 Jul 2000, 13:56 (Ref:21584)   #4
Jo
Rookie

Jo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks very much for your all your help. I was able to use your information to find some interesting stuff for my presentation.