Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Aug 2000, 18:57 (Ref:30199)   #1
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

despite it being the usual processional race (lord knows we've had a few crackers this season to make up for it!!), Hungaroring 2000 proved to be a fascinating race by the merest fact that Mikka was awesome.

Although I hate to admit it, Hakkinen won comfortably and DESERVEDLY; no mistakes from Ferrari this time. Despite actually struggling all weekend, Mikka, to his credit, got his race setup spot on and could just cruise away.

But not only this: who has been the most consistently performing driver over the past few races? Mickey Finn.

Remember all those posts that "Mikka's lost his motivation"? Well for whatever reason the once decidedly luke-warm Finn has bounced back and is now LEADING the WDC race.

But what about things like team orders at McL? Are there any? Should there be any? If not McLaren could loose out to Schumi. If they do there'll be fireworks!!

Can Mikka do it? ("But he's soooooo boring!!" I hear you all cry)
And what if DC wins the next few; what then? Or do you think the ball is still in TGF's court?? I'll be honest: I havn't a clue. I wouldn't bet on anything, but I do know it should be great to watch!!

What do reckon? Who will end up winning? Over to you...........
Old 13 Aug 2000, 19:50 (Ref:30205)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
TGF seems to be the favourite every year, yet he never wins it. But after a 22 point lead turned into a 2 point deficit, this should make him more determined to get that championship. Otherwise it will (yet again) be "Next year we'll get it right,"

I'm not sure now that DC is motivated to win the championship. He seemed to be at first, but I (and I'm sure others) have noticed a drop-off in his form since Hakkinen made his 'comeback'.

And please, no, not Hakkinen! There's no way that he deserves to be ranked in the record books along with Senna and Piquet, drivers who showed ten times more class than him. I wouldn't say he shouldn't win because he's 'boring' because no matter how a driver behaves in front of the press, it can't take anything away from his driving ability.
Old 13 Aug 2000, 21:41 (Ref:30238)   #3
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why shouldn't he be ranked with Senna Piquet? Any one who could manage three straight WDC's should be up there. He is in the best car, but so is DC. I'm not saying that he is better than Senna or Piquet but regardless if he can manage the most points by the end of the year he deserves credit.

-Looks like Williams will keep their third place this year after all, eh?

Old 14 Aug 2000, 00:48 (Ref:30274)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has been good, but if DC hadn't had so many mechanical failures in the past 2 years I wonder if he would have been champ. It really is amazing how many times DC has had something brake while in 1st or 2nd in a GP.

I would like to see if Mika hakkinen could win with another team. If you look at the greats, they were able to win in more than one car over a much longer period than the 2.5 years Mika has been winning.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 02:25 (Ref:30336)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I for one didn't expect this turn of events even a few short weeks ago. Despite being a Hakinnen fan, I'm disappointed that DC's early season form/luck seems to have turned-but it ain't over yet.

But for the thrill of it, here goes: "GO MIKA!!!!!
Old 14 Aug 2000, 02:44 (Ref:30340)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
McLarens were sandbagging

First, our friends M&M hypothesized that Mika was on a light load, then Ferrari was on a heavy load. It was all a load of BS. These two galahs were stunned when TGF came into the pits first and Mika continued running for a few more laps. In fact, I am a bit sceptical about Mika improving that much overnight just because of a lot of strange and mysterious work by the engine guys, the chassis guys and the engineers. Mika is learning to tell some very good Hans Christian Anderson stories. I reckon that Mika's car was set up very well for race conditions all along, although they could not get it set up properly for the Banzai charge of Quals; and I even suspect that Mika was sandbagging during practice. His car must have been running on haevy fuel loads during practice. His speed was awesome, and after the first pit stop, the other McLaen was nearly a fast. When TGF had this great lead in the WDC, I was convinced he was going to win. Then yesterday, the Blues were leading by 21 points at the last change and the Demons came out and thumped them in the last quarter to win by 9 points. This will be the same story hre with McLaren. They have the faster car, and have been sandbagging.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 04:22 (Ref:30355)   #7
Rated R
Rookie

Rated R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, yes Valve I think you are correct. Plus McLaren were very fast right from the start of the season (not reliable but surely fast) and would have easily scored wins in the beginning if it were not for the mechanical failures. Anyone knows that McLaren implicitly favors MH-they've shown it many times, they showed it at Hockenheim too.
I would very much like Schumy to win the WDC but it will be very, very hard. And I knew it was coming to him the moment he put his nose up (again). Who will ultimately win? I don't know. Who deserves to win? I think Schumy deserves a third title more than MH.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 04:51 (Ref:30357)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Rated R, you must be a fan of Silvester TGF. Well, that's ok. My view is nobody deserves to win the WDC. A driver must go out there and win it. I honestly don't think that Daffy DuC (DC) was unfavoured in any way that would have affected his performance or achievement. He was on the front row and Mika came from the second row. I think that Mika is a great driver - nobody wins two WDC's in a row unles he is a good driver, no matter how good the car may be. It's like the Grand Final - The Bombers will win it not because they deserve it, but because they will go out there and beat the heck out of which ever sorry team fronts up for the big game. Carna Bombers. Having digressed sufficiently for you to doubt my focus, I will say that at this stage, I find it difficult to believe that Silvester TGF will be able to go out there and hold off both Mika and DuC. In fact, he might even finish third behind the two Mac drivers. AND this is from someone who predicted at the start of the season that Silvester TGF would win the WDC with 4 races to go. Fair Dinkum.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 07:16 (Ref:30371)   #9
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, at the start of the season, I predicted that TGF would win 10 races this season. I am more than happy to eat my words...

Mika for sure laid down the law in Hungary, he drove without doubt a brilliant race. Of course he deserves the WDC if he wins it! Does he deserve to be mentioned alongside Senna? Well, statistically he will be alongside him in terms of WDCs if he wins this year. He will be ahead of him in terms of WDCs in a row, and behind in terms of races won. Only Fangio will then have won more WDCs in a row (four). Being a great driver is not only about driving, but also about being able to position yourself in the right team(s) to get race wins and WDCs. And Mika has done that to perfection. If he wins the WDC this year, all his race wins except for his first will have been in years where he won the WDC. And the way it looks at the moment, I must say I've changed my mind about the favourite to win this year. It has changed from TGF to Mika in my opinion. He has the momentum now, and will be very difficult to beat in the remaining races if he continues his good form from Hungary.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 07:19 (Ref:30373)   #10
shaunvdb
Rookie

shaunvdb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mikka is looking good

I have always maintained a simple points system and every year I have been on the nail.

This is how it goes, I allocate ONE point to the guy who most deserved it at a race, taking into account failures, mistakes, etc.

In Melborne the point goes to Mikka, in Brasil to Schu, at San Marino to Schu, at Silverstone to DC, Spain to Mikka, Euro to Schu, Monaco to Schu, Canada to Schu, France to DC, A1-Ring to Mikka, Germany to Mikka and Hun to Mikka

Add it all up and what do you get

Schumacher = 5
Hakkinen = 5
DC = 2

That pretty much sums it up doesn't it.

Just remember NO-ONE ranks with the great Ayrton Senna !

My money is on Mikka, yes it is going to be close, comeon Schumacher show us what you have got

Old 14 Aug 2000, 10:34 (Ref:30390)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I would be the last person to say who was the greatest, who was and is better, etc, etc. I have worked overseas for many years, and even before then, did not have access to watch motor racing on TV. At one stage, I was reduced to begging relatives to tape races for me. So I missed watching Rindt, Petersen, Clark, Moss, and naturally Fangio at most of their races. Occasionally, I managed to get to clubs or friends places to watch races on film. However, I managed to coerce the Hong Kong Government with perserverance over a two year period, to install Star TV satellite reception in Government quarters, and I have watched F1 mow for the past 7 or 8 years. I certainly have been impressed by TGF Silvester, especially during qualifications, and that is why I am ****ed off with Channel 9 in Oz for not showing quals. It was after the Jerez incident that changed my perspective and I no longer enjoyed watching TGF Silvester, no matter how well he drove.
Mika did not really arrange to be in McLaren because they were great. For years, they were terrible. It was only after Mercedes (Ilmore) gave them a decent engine, and the Spice Girls performed at the presentation of the car to the public, that they were any good. He never changed teams, not like Fangio. That guy knew how to get to the best teams.
I think for whatever reason that many fans do not think Mika is great, they will someday get a real surprise. Mika beat TGF Silvester on even terms at Hungary - the guy was simply awesome. He has been sandbagging.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 11:58 (Ref:30419)   #12
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never understood how it is that certain drivers never get any credit for their performances - no matter how consistent they are with them. Is it jealousy from MS fans? Mika has won back to back WDCs and is on the way to a possible third on he trot. Just because Mika and his management don't sell him as the fastest thing on four wheels ever doesn't mean he isn't a great talent. On what basis do people assert that a double world champion who regularly beats MS isn't any where near as good?
Old 14 Aug 2000, 15:00 (Ref:30453)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by angst
..........................................................................................Mika has won back to back WDCs and is on the way to a possible third on he trot. Just because Mika and his management don't sell him as the fastest thing on four wheels ever doesn't mean he isn't a great talent. ..................................
Good point. I feel that, had Herbert received better management advice, we would be talking about him as a possible three times champion. As I recall, Hakkinen was regularly outperformed by Herbert in their Lotus days. As was Zanardi incidentally.