Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Aug 2001, 12:36 (Ref:130279)   #1
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Real James Hunt

Just a quick note to UK readers that 'The Real James Hunt' will be shown on Channel 4 tonight at 10pm.

It'll probably be a bit of a character assasination knowing this series, but hopefully there will be some good footage etc.....
Old 15 Aug 2001, 12:32 (Ref:130743)   #2
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw it and found it to be very well put together.
Very informative and I learn things about him that I never knew like the incident at the nightclub after he retired.

It also had music by Robbie Williams, who a couple of months back produced a music video to the song 'Supreme' in which he was Bob Williams, an F1 driver from the '70s racing against Jackie Stewart etc.

It is a pity he's gone, he looked like a great character.
Old 15 Aug 2001, 12:55 (Ref:130764)   #3
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobson
I saw it and found it to be very well put together.
Yes, I take back my comment about expecting it to be a hatchet job - I thought it was superb.

A bit odd that they didn't mention his role as GP commentator though!

On a related note, I think that in a lot of ways there were two world champions that year, Hunt & Lauda - to come back so soon after the Nurburgring accident and to have the bravery just to say 'no' at Fuji would require a very special blend of physical and mental strength.
Old 15 Aug 2001, 14:27 (Ref:130790)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Yimkin

Yes, I take back my comment about expecting it to be a hatchet job - I thought it was superb.

A bit odd that they didn't mention his role as GP commentator though!

He worked for the BBC-this programme was made by,or for,Channel 4.They also showed no film of his pre-F1 career,though archives must have loads.

Last edited by Rob29; 15 Aug 2001 at 14:30.
Old 20 Aug 2001, 17:44 (Ref:133139)   #5
3-Series
Rookie

3-Series should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed the program, however I found it a bit odd that they neglected to mention that Hunt's points for the '76 British GP were taken away on appeal, even though he won on the track.

If this hadn't happened we would never have had the cliff hanger finish in Japan.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 20:45 (Ref:138591)   #6
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For an excellent account of that amazing season, by Mr. Hunt himself, read "Against All Odds". Except for the first chapter where he feels he needs to justify his marital situation, the rest is great reading with outstanding photos.
Old 9 Oct 2002, 21:07 (Ref:399690)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Thought I'd dig this one back up as the programme is being repeated on Channel 4 next week
Quote:
DOCUMENTARY: The Real James Hunt
Channel: Channel 4
Date: Tuesday 15th October 2002
Time: 21:00 to 22:00
Duration: 1 hour.
Documentary in which former friends and lovers remember British Formula One driver James Hunt, one of the most irreverent sporting icons of his day. From success in the World Championship to previously unseen CCTV footage of his unprovoked attack on a club doorman, the film captures the extraordinary character of a true maverick. Featuring interviews with Murray Walker, Niki Lauda and Riccardo Patrese
(Repeat, Subtitles)
Old 9 Oct 2002, 23:56 (Ref:399832)   #8
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I saw the programme before, I'd like to have watched it again, but missed it. Hunt was a great character. What is happening, within motorsport, that seems to prevent these type of drivers coming through? I mean, I remember being quite shocked to discover that a young Hunt had visited his first motor race, at Brands Hatch, and decided that that was what he was going to do.

Ten years later he was sat on the grid at Brands Hatch, in a McLaren, during what would be his championship year. TEN YEARS! No parental motorsport background, no parental support, no years of karting etc. Nowadays you need to do 10 years of karting alone. Which seems to leave no time to develop a personality, judging by most of the current breed of F1 stars...
Old 10 Oct 2002, 07:10 (Ref:399941)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
completely agree, Eddie Irvine is the nearest thing there is to the playboy image - just a pity that the frontrunners have all had character bypasses! Maybe Button could be the saviour??
Old 16 Oct 2002, 10:11 (Ref:405541)   #10
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
Maybe Button could be the saviour??
i dont think so!
Old 16 Oct 2002, 11:05 (Ref:405585)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
having rewatched the programme agn last night I agree, no one in the current crop come near to him, he truly was a legend!
Old 16 Oct 2002, 11:50 (Ref:405633)   #12
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motors TV have been showing a season of documentrys about F1 seasons, Hunts winning season was featured recently and included loads of archive footage (in fact the whole film was archive footage!)
more seasons will be covered soon.
These are very interesting and put todays bland drivers to shame.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 11:40 (Ref:406413)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
too right . . . .I watched ir for the second time, with the Hesketh team just looked like a brilliant place to be!
Old 17 Oct 2002, 18:58 (Ref:406719)   #14
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But wasnt this the programme that when it came out, Murray Walker complained that they never used half of his material, and that they only concentrated on the bad things.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 21:28 (Ref:407525)   #15
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I remember Murray being quite upset that his good memories of James Hunt never got a look in on the programme, although from memory the programme was quite interesting to watch nonetheless....
Old 21 Oct 2002, 11:19 (Ref:409148)   #16
bolide
Rookie

bolide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Real James Hunt - me don't think so!

Hmmm - I am forced to disagree with many of you about the Channel 4 program The Real James Hunt

I thought it was documentary-making by the numbers, thrown together with no flair or excitement and condemned to mediocrity by the worst voice-over I've ever heard. The music budget appeared to stretch to only three pieces of rather inappropriate music, and overall the program had no structure

Worst of all was that it brought none of Hunt's flair to the screen. It was dull, dull, dull, - quite unlike the man himself. And no mention of his role as commentator? That's just slack film-making. I watched around 45 minutes of it - I couldn't bring myself to sit through 1 hour of TV that contained nothing new, insightful or intelligent

I guess you can work out I didn't like it...

Nick Froome
www.bolide.co.uk