Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 25 Sep 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1416012)   #26
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Was very worried after the sprint (thought something more boring than F1 had been invented!)...but feel more optimistic after the feature race.

The ability for nations to just change their drivers should work very well for driver rotation, and I see that as the best feature of the championship as it continues...almost VIP style hopefully.

It's a good start, not startling, but good.

Be nice since Team GB of course, already the championship winners in a way for having provided the engines and cars made sure the Team GB entry isn't the one that breaks down!
Old 25 Sep 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1416013)   #27
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a lot of drivers could have done better given the right race opportunities, but as the commentator rightly said motorsport is not won on "ifs and buts".
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1416019)   #28
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
He wasn't holding anyone up. He was on the pace of the leaders - remember he was 4th before the pit problem set him behind. He was the shock* of the day, he never showed this pace in Formula 3B but he OWNED Parente today.
as i understand it (as the commentators told us), he was 2 laps BEHIND germany and 3 laps behind the leaders and germany were clearly much quicker and being held up big style. adam was weaving all over the place and directing him onto the grass on every straight. havent got a clue why he wasnt blue flagged....that is of course if he actually was all those laps behind at all...
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1416022)   #29
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was very pleased by the Feature race since the Sprint left me a little dissapointed. It just seemed so pointless to me. Also, as they have 4 seperate qualifying sessions, can't they make them all count towards the races. Say 1st and 3rd fastest times = Sprint starting position and 2nd and 4th fastest time = Feature Starting position.

I think the cars themself's are spot on, move about a lot and obviously take a lot of driver skill to keep them on the island. I will be tuning in for Lausitz in a couple of weeks time.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1416023)   #30
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What were the main things happening in the feature race? I missed it as started work at 3. Caught the sprint race and thought the cars looked and sounded good considering what comes across on internet streaming, but it wasn't that entertaining in terms of overtaking moves etc.

And also - can someone please explain what these boost buttons are, how they work and what they're supposed to add exactly to the racing? Ta
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1416027)   #31
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
You have a selected amount of time to use the boost buttons, but they increase HP by 30 hp. The aim, to promote overtaking or to push away in the lead on the first lap etc.

3 Main things from my point:
1) rollover
2) retirements
3) Battle for 3-10th
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1416034)   #32
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forget about the racing, what about Andy Priaulx's trousers? He looked like he was auditioning for Saturday Night Fever!
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1416039)   #33
jezwold
Rookie

New Zealand
On Tour
jezwold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
Nice feature race by Jos Verstappen. Started from 25th position and finised at 7th spot. Impressive.
Hmmmm what about Matt Halliday from Team NZ. 25th to 4th in the 2nd race. Just think of the damage he could have done if he had not had a moment at the start of warm up. To be able to pick places like this does indicate the quality of a driver. Bring on the next round in Germany.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:37 (Ref:1416047)   #34
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Halliday and Verstappen did both a great job.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:44 (Ref:1416051)   #35
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexible-flyer
as i understand it (as the commentators told us), he was 2 laps BEHIND germany and 3 laps behind the leaders and germany were clearly much quicker and being held up big style. adam was weaving all over the place and directing him onto the grass on every straight. havent got a clue why he wasnt blue flagged....that is of course if he actually was all those laps behind at all...
He was some laps behind but he was not slower than the cars behind. They were hardly all over him. And as I said he was 4th early on - he did not get there through being slow. If he had been holding anyone up he would have been flagged as you say.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1416053)   #36
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
He was some laps behind but he was not slower than the cars behind. They were hardly all over him. And as I said he was 4th early on - he did not get there through being slow. If he had been holding anyone up he would have been flagged as you say.
Well he was holding up Timo who was being backed into Duran. When Timo got by and drove away from Kahn, Kahn chopped and weaved in front of 3rd placed man Duran, who in result to being chopped lost time to Kahn and then spent the rest of the race defending.

All in all Kahn should have gotten out of everyone's way, but he didn't and almost cost Duran 3rd place.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1416074)   #37
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevp
Did you see the "trophies" I wonder who had the job of taking the pies out before they were presented... cheapest prize ever.
the medals weren't cheap. They were made from 500g of silver
Old 25 Sep 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1416087)   #38
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly explains why there was nothing left for the trophy...
Old 25 Sep 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1416091)   #39
AlMillion
Rookie

AlMillion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn shame, I don't think Brazil would have got past GB had there not been a battery problem ... would've been great to have a 'home' win
Old 25 Sep 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1416094)   #40
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMillion
Damn shame, I don't think Brazil would have got past GB had there not been a battery problem ... would've been great to have a 'home' win
Piquinho had a number of boosts in hand, though.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1416098)   #41
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw the sprint race and I thought it was pretty boring and the cars got well strung. I didn't see the second one as ended up going out with some friends, but it sounded a lot better.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1416099)   #42
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really enjoyed the meeting today and I hope that A1 goes from strength to strength. The traffic is still queueing outside our front door coming away from the track. well done JP
Old 25 Sep 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1416108)   #43
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kahn was eventually shown the black and white flag (described as the unsportsman flag). The TV did not show the marshal running across the track just in front of the leaders as they came up to cross the startline, brought gasps from the crowd. At the track it is not easy to recognise the different nations, some chose their flag colours whilst others (Italy were blue after their football team!!!) took historical or other sports team colours. The scoreboard chose to show the international dialing codes for the countries (GB became 44). To say the spectators were confused is an understatement.
Any way it was good to see Brands nearly full (about 45,000 I would say)
Old 25 Sep 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1416128)   #44
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Birley
Any way it was good to see Brands nearly full (about 45,000 I would say)
I would say twice that as you couldn't move at Paddock ( where I watched from) or Druids and the GP loop was well populated with fans
Old 25 Sep 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1416164)   #45
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I'm home from it, great day out, and i got some pretty good pics (the crash ) shame they are quite bad quality.
Good stuff though.

Last edited by Rockmunky; 25 Sep 2005 at 19:56. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 25 Sep 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1416171)   #46
speedy2
Rookie

speedy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just a couple of thoughts, why was the driver involved in the accident at paddock bend not wearing a 'hans device' ?,

I would have thought if A1 was serious, safety would be first ?

and what overtaking was there, I have seen more in any single GP2 race this year ?

even the last F3 at Modello had more passing.....

they may be loud and colourful, but the end they are old technology and F3000 Lola's at that.

I would say they are the big brother of another formula, Palmer audi and look where that is now...boost button and all...

I remember the first year of Cart cars coming to Brands and the crowd was just as big, the acid test is the second or third years....where is Cart now?

the problem is there really is no point to it, it's not one thing or another, GP2 has a reason...F3 has a reason...A1 has no reason.

If anyone thinks this is going to challenge F1, they must be on 'acid' all the hype in the world counts for nought, if the racing has no purpose,

The only people making money are the Teams running them and the 50 paid drivers.....

Sorry to be negative, but just 'cause some rich guy thinks it's a good idea, do we all have to follow like sheep,

Bernie sleep well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1416173)   #47
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened with the french car I see they didn't start in the second
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1416176)   #48
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Uh follow? What reason do we have to be sheep, none at all. We are not (i believe) connected to the management of the A1GP group, so what purpose do we hold as being sheep. I generally like the concept because its my opinion. Im no sheep. Its had one outing and its already getting bagged, thats fine, thats your opinion. But no need to call others sheep.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1416177)   #49
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Birley
(Italy were blue after their football team!!!)
According to the telly they did not have time to get their car painted up properly.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1416178)   #50
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck
What happened with the french car I see they didn't start in the second
Stalled on the grid and that was it.