Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 15 Jul 2013, 10:40 (Ref:3277883)   #51
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The standing start went pretty well but I'm still not a fan of them for IndyCar. And I come from Europe. They do standing starts everywhere here. I like IndyCar because the rolling starts are different. Having them at one race of a double-header is OK with me, though.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 10:44 (Ref:3277886)   #52
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Oh, yes. I don't mind a novelty standing start but keep the rolling start as the regular starting procedure. The camera angle of the standing start was a dumb gaffe.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3277915)   #53
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I watched both races back to back last night. Saturday's was cracking, Sunday's not so much.

The spilt screen cameras for the start and Turn 3 were just awful.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 13:15 (Ref:3277946)   #54
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will Power - 2 4th place finishes thrown away on the last laps, what a poo year
I hope Scott Dixon wins the championship, Helio annoys me...
Old 16 Jul 2013, 16:24 (Ref:3278425)   #55
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Seabass, you klutz. Has it been that long since you held a trophy?
Wasn't his fault. The presenter made a mistake and picked up both the trophy and its stand, handing both to Bourdais. He was supposed to pick up only the mug itself.

At the race #2 podium, the first thing Bourdais did was pick up the mug and hold it aloft, for laughs. Agree with whoever said he has a good sense of humour. After race #1 he also spun some awesome donuts, he was so excited to be on the podium.

Got the chance to shoot the race again with credentials. Photos at www.flickr.com/photos/ricardipus if you're interested. Here ya go... race #2 podium just for fun:

Podium ceremony, race #2, Honda Indy Toronto by Richard Wintle, on Flickr

Last edited by rwintle; 16 Jul 2013 at 16:25. Reason: forgot the donuts
Old 16 Jul 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3278441)   #56
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
Big fan of these doubles! I would like to see that trend gain some steam.
As a marshal who survived (and I use that word on purpose) 2inTO and also did Dual in Detroit, I agree... to a point.

Where I have a problem is with packing the schedule to the point that the track workers have essentially ZERO downtime. On Friday the longest break we had was 15 minutes. That is from checker to green. Yes, that includes lunch, post-session cleanups and rotating staff. Friday's morning meeting was at 6 am and we finished at 6:20 pm. Saturday and Sunday were just an hour shorter, although Sunday we did get an hour to find some shade because Indycar was doing pace cars/two-seaters.

Combine that with 30C+ temps, high humidity, little breeze and standing on broiling asphalt. I am amazed the "army in white" did as well as we did, especially Sunday.

Sure, the promoters had no way of knowing what the weather would do, although history could have told them that July in Toronto is usually this way. But they and Indycar could have considered the event "infrastructure", so to speak. Teams, mechanics and drivers for a single series will have downtime. Marshals and local safety crews handle all sessions. One fewer series to monitor may be the difference between surviving and doing a proper job.

I will be re-evaluating my options for next year if Indycar continues the doubleheader format. I may put in for one and change my mind when I see the event schedule if it's too tight. As much as I love what I do, I am still recovering from Toronto now, two days later.
keke
Old 17 Jul 2013, 15:28 (Ref:3278756)   #57
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
As a marshal who survived (and I use that word on purpose) 2inTO and also did Dual in Detroit, I agree... to a point.

Where I have a problem is with packing the schedule to the point that the track workers have essentially ZERO downtime. On Friday the longest break we had was 15 minutes. That is from checker to green. Yes, that includes lunch, post-session cleanups and rotating staff. Friday's morning meeting was at 6 am and we finished at 6:20 pm. Saturday and Sunday were just an hour shorter, although Sunday we did get an hour to find some shade because Indycar was doing pace cars/two-seaters.

Combine that with 30C+ temps, high humidity, little breeze and standing on broiling asphalt. I am amazed the "army in white" did as well as we did, especially Sunday.

Sure, the promoters had no way of knowing what the weather would do, although history could have told them that July in Toronto is usually this way. But they and Indycar could have considered the event "infrastructure", so to speak. Teams, mechanics and drivers for a single series will have downtime. Marshals and local safety crews handle all sessions. One fewer series to monitor may be the difference between surviving and doing a proper job.

I will be re-evaluating my options for next year if Indycar continues the doubleheader format. I may put in for one and change my mind when I see the event schedule if it's too tight. As much as I love what I do, I am still recovering from Toronto now, two days later.
keke
The schedule was really full even before they added the NASCAR Jumpy Trucks! I for one am happy to give a shout-out to you and the "army in white" - great work all weekend long, thank you. The corner workers/marshals/flaggers I talked with on the weekend were unfailingly friendly, knowledgeable, and good-humoured, with some great stories of races past. Big thumb's up from me and I hope you've become a bit less sun-baked by now.