Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 23 Aug 2015, 22:08 (Ref:3568023)   #26
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Okay, not sure that was the wisest move from race control or Sato.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 22:08 (Ref:3568024)   #27
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agh... Chaves loses his motor. "Shut it off, we're done."
Old 23 Aug 2015, 22:10 (Ref:3568025)   #28
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RHR wins under yellow. He looked pretty undeniable all race long. All down to Sonoma now for the championship.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 22:16 (Ref:3568027)   #29
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say that Paul Tracy did a very good job in the NBCSN commentary booth. I really wouldn't have expected such a calm demeanor from Paul Tracy of all people and yet he added some quality to the broadcast. Take notes Cheever and Goodyear!
Old 23 Aug 2015, 22:16 (Ref:3568028)   #30
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
The nose cone from Karam's car bounced down and hit Wilson square in the head
Blimey. I haven't seen the replays. Really hope Wilson's ok.

There's another caution and RH-R wins it. Congrats to him and Andretti Autosport. What a mixed race for them. That win should keep Honda more than happy.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 22:26 (Ref:3568033)   #31
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I just hope there is some sort of update soon. It's just a devastating time not knowing what the outcome is.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 22:33 (Ref:3568038)   #32
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
From IndyCar Twitter: not much information, not surprisingly:

"Justin Wilson is being airlifted to Lehigh Valley Health Network Cedar Crest Hospital. No additional information is available at this time."

"Justin Wilson was transported to the hospital for a head injury. More info will be communicated when available."
Old 23 Aug 2015, 23:24 (Ref:3568046)   #33
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
IndyCar status updates:

Quote:
Sage Karam is being transported via ground for further evaluation of a right foot injury.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 23:29 (Ref:3568048)   #34
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Hope Justin Wilson is ok
Old 23 Aug 2015, 23:48 (Ref:3568051)   #35
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate not having updates like this, though it's of course understandable why. Whatever the outcome of this, the series does need to at least consider closed cockpits now. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have helped Wheldon in the slightest, but possibly it would in this new incident (also with Hinchcliffe last year where he was injured from a fairly innocuous accident). It would create new issues though - aside from the issues with quick extraction, presumably it'll get really hot in there?

I don't know if the series still has much money for a new car after only a few years with the current one though - I know it's supposed to be in the pipeline anyway, but everything's gone a bit quiet.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 01:16 (Ref:3568088)   #36
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Well, there's an update now. Wilson is in a coma and is in critical condition. Via the Indycar twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/IndyCar

Old 24 Aug 2015, 01:17 (Ref:3568089)   #37
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
From IndyCar:
Quote:
INDYCAR driver Justin Wilson suffered a severe head injury during today's event at Pocono Raceway. Wilson is currently in a coma and in critical condition while undergoing further evaluation at Lehigh Valley Health Network in Allentown, Pa.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 01:20 (Ref:3568091)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Result:

1 Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 3h25m08.1095s
2 Josef Newgarden, CFH Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 0.1053s
3 Juan Pablo Montoya, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 0.5696s
4 Will Power, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 1.4707s
5 Carlos Munoz, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 2.0003s
6 Takuma Sato, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Honda. 3.5167s
7 Simon Pagenaud, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 4.5025s
8 Ryan Briscoe, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 4.7997s
9 Scott Dixon, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 5.6857s
10 James Jakes, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 6.2994s
11 Gabby Chaves, Bryan Herta Autosport. Dallara/Honda. Mechanical
12 Charlie Kimball, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. Mechanical
13 Pippa Mann, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda 15 Laps
14 Sage Karam, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. Contact
15 Justin Wilson, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. Contact
16 Helio Castroneves, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. Contact
17 Ed Carpenter, CFH Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet Mechanical
18 Marco Andretti, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. Contact
19 Tony Kanaan, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. Contact
20 Graham Rahal, Rahal Letterman Lanigan. Dallara/Honda. Contact
21 Tristan Vautier, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. Contact
22 Jack Hawksworth, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Honda. Contact
23 Sebastien Bourdais, KVSH Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. Contact
24 Stefano Coletti, KV Racing Technology. Dallara/Chevrolet. Mechanical
Old 24 Aug 2015, 02:32 (Ref:3568098)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
The latest is Justin Wilson is in a coma, very likely medically induced. The report, though doesn't sound too good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/m...32/default.stm

I hope it's wrong.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 24 Aug 2015 at 02:52.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 03:22 (Ref:3568102)   #40
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Man, it was a great weekend of racing and then this happens. I'm thinking good thoughts for Justin - One of the good guys.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 05:19 (Ref:3568118)   #41
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've missed everything this weekend and arrive on the west coast to hear this news. Shame.

Hoping Justin is in good hands and will recovery quickly.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 06:16 (Ref:3568128)   #42
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Well, there's an update now. Wilson is in a coma and is in critical condition. Via the Indycar twitter feed.
Very bad news. Let's hope he'll recover quickly.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 08:01 (Ref:3568150)   #43
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
It's good to hear some news even if it isn't the most positive sounding. For the time between hearing of the crash and seeing the Indycar twitter post about him being in a coma I was expecting to hear something worse tbh.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 09:47 (Ref:3568177)   #44
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Hats off to Tony Stewart for lending the Wilson family his private plane so they can be with him ASAP.

That's very kind of him.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 10:44 (Ref:3568186)   #45
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Hats off to Tony Stewart for lending the Wilson family his private plane so they can be with him ASAP.

That's very kind of him.
+1. Good man Tony.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 13:40 (Ref:3568252)   #46
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
+1. Good man Tony.
+2

Hope Justin recovers soon, all the best for his family.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 22:32 (Ref:3568415)   #47
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
I hate not having updates like this, though it's of course understandable why. Whatever the outcome of this, the series does need to at least consider closed cockpits now. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have helped Wheldon in the slightest, but possibly it would in this new incident (also with Hinchcliffe last year where he was injured from a fairly innocuous accident). It would create new issues though - aside from the issues with quick extraction, presumably it'll get really hot in there?

I don't know if the series still has much money for a new car after only a few years with the current one though - I know it's supposed to be in the pipeline anyway, but everything's gone a bit quiet.
There's already a form of motorsport that has been using closed cockpits for some time now: dragboat racing. While still a very dangerous form of racing, mandating the fighter jet-style closed cockpits has saved a lot of lives.

If IndyCar is the first open-wheel series to take the plunge, I imagine the car would be built around a similar type of "cocoon" as we see in dragboat racing. Ventilation would need some sort of clever solution, but they'd be able to make it work. And I'm confident Wheldon would have survived had they been using such a cockpit.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 22:54 (Ref:3568420)   #48
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marshall Pruett's take on the canopy/windscreen idea.
http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...wilson-s-crash

I like the windscreen idea and it certainly wouldn't be the first time an Indycar driver found himself looking through clear plastic.

Old 24 Aug 2015, 23:09 (Ref:3568425)   #49
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
And I'm confident Wheldon would have survived had they been using such a cockpit.
That's a canopy design that can survive a 200mph impact with a near-immovable object (fence post)? The roll hoop didn't survive. Speaking of which, Wilson's onboard camera was wiped out, so that might be why the piece of bodywork launched up so high.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 23:20 (Ref:3568427)   #50
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It'd bust up a bunch of Indycar teams if they attempted the canopy expenditure. They are straining enough as it is - and that's only trying to maintain the status quo!

I do think it'll be the future of the sport. When? I dunno. It'll probably be left to F1 to lead the way on this.

But since Mosley has gone and Watkins died, safety has taken a noticeable backburner in F1. Sure they have the 'invisible safety car' and some procedural changes post-Bianchi but they don't seem to have the same zeal for safety that prevailed under Mosley and Watkins. Mosley, despite his innumerable shortcomings, would have this stuff on the books in a jiffy. Todt today doesn't have that kind of authority and the teams don't like spending money if it sunk into winning tomorrow.