Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Which were/would have been the best years?
84-94 13 48.15%
94-02 3 11.11%
94-? Had Senna survived 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Apr 2003, 18:25 (Ref:557535)   #1
Daiboy
Rookie

Daiboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May 1st 1994........94!!! where did it all go?

I find it hard to believe that 9 years (May 1st) have past since the Great Senna was killed.....Unbelievable because i myself dont want to get any older!!!! and also in F1 terms. i ask what have we got for our money in those years? after 140 odd GP's... What memories would you like to forget in those years? and how could they have been better? Apart from the obvious duel we were robbed of.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 19:27 (Ref:557605)   #2
chrisrb2002
Racer

United Kingdom
Its's dark but I can see a bright light.
chrisrb2002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I make it April 3rd today.....
Old 3 Apr 2003, 19:33 (Ref:557614)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Where is that thread predicting the weather for the Spanish GP?

Seriously, a long time and much water. I think that Senna would have retired by now, but with many more great wins.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 20:04 (Ref:557653)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Senna is alive. The guy next door to Elvis.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 21:39 (Ref:557749)   #5
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna would be 43 by now and almost certainly would have retired- with about 5 or 6 WDCs and about 80-90 poles I reckon.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 3 Apr 2003, 23:33 (Ref:557824)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think the sport would be in its current bad state now had Senna not been killed. I think F1 has suffered commercially and as a sport since.
If the FIA hadn't have gone overkill on safety, people might still be watching...

Last edited by Sodemo; 3 Apr 2003 at 23:34.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 00:47 (Ref:557862)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
im sure he would be still driving if he was alive and probably in the Australian V8 supercar series
Old 4 Apr 2003, 01:35 (Ref:557883)   #8
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer
Senna would be 43 by now and almost certainly would have retired- with about 5 or 6 WDCs and about 80-90 poles I reckon.
Not with Williams
Old 4 Apr 2003, 01:50 (Ref:557886)   #9
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he would have become some offtrack role being that he would be to old to race...dare we dream if HE had become FIA president
Old 4 Apr 2003, 04:09 (Ref:557926)   #10
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thorstone,

No, and had history repeated itself regarding the fortunes of the teams, he would have been made a stunning offer to join Ferrari or whichever team was rising to the top, or he would have just gone there for no money (endorsements aside, of course).

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 4 Apr 2003, 09:33 (Ref:558101)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he would've driven for Williams for the rest of his career, and would've won 96 and 97 titles easily, as no other car came close. The Benettons of 94 and 95 were vastly superior (whether legally or not) so winning in those wouldve been a big ask, especially from 30 points down in 1994.

As for poles, I think in 4 years he could've won 35 mroe poles to reach 100, which would've really scuppered Shcumacher's distant hoeps for that record, especialyl as Senns would've took several of the poles Schumacher had.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 10:19 (Ref:558134)   #12
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Senna would have won 1995 and 1996 titles with Williams. Not sure of 1994, because I start my thinking of situation when Senna was 30 points behind Schumacher.

Senna's dream was to drive for Ferrari and I think he was going there before Schumacher. Maybe Schuey wouldn't be able to go to Maranello for 1996.

So Senna would have moved to Ferrari for 1997 and drive for them two years. Maybe in 1998 he would have been fighting for the championship, in 1997 he would have been maybe 3rd in standings.

1994 2nd
1995 1st
1996 1st
1997 3rd
1998 1st/2nd
That is my thoughts of Senna's results if he had survived.

I guess his wins would have been somewhere near 70. And poles - maybe over 100.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 12:17 (Ref:558258)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had Senna stayed alive, he wouldn't now be working in F1, I guess:
since driving , infact, he had become exclusive representative of Delonghi brand (an italian company who makes air conditioners and other home electric devices) for the entire sole of Brasil: a huge market that would commit him full time.
Thus he couldn't become president of FIA: the maximum he could afford would be an image role and nothing more
Old 4 Apr 2003, 12:17 (Ref:558260)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
I don't think the sport would be in its current bad state now had Senna not been killed. I think F1 has suffered commercially and as a sport since.
If the FIA hadn't have gone overkill on safety, people might still be watching...
We could believe in that, but the truth is that Senna has started it all and TGF followed his path. In 94, Senna the best driver joined Williams, the best team. It was a situation very similar that we had the in last seasons. Senna was responsible too, together with Prost and Piquet, for the high salaries that inflationated F1.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 13:21 (Ref:558304)   #15
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna would have stayed with williams for a few years then joined Ferrari.....and ended his carreer with them...witch also means that MS would have not won the championship that year, neither would he have won his second or joinned ferrari. Hill and Villeneuve would also have had different carreers...
We would have a completly different picture today.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 13:36 (Ref:558320)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hill would've been fired after a dismal 1995 season, Jacques would have been trashed in his maiden season and wouldn't even come close in '97 (and this comes from a Jacques fan!), neither would Schumacher who would still be with Benetton.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 13:45 (Ref:558329)   #17
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
and this comes from a Jacques fan.
Hey...I never noticed you were one of us!!!!
Old 4 Apr 2003, 14:09 (Ref:558353)   #18
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, considering the man himself said racing was his life, I would've thought he'd still be around in some way, most likely as a team boss.

Not too sure which team he would've bought out though (Arrows??.....although there would be a kind of poetic justice if he bought out the prost team! )

Last edited by codename_47; 4 Apr 2003 at 14:10.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 14:38 (Ref:558380)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
Hill would've been fired after a dismal 1995 season,
An interesting observation but I'm not sure it would have been the case. We tend to forget that it was Hill who dragged the team back up after Senna's death (very similar to his father's role at Lotus in '68). I always felt that after that he suffered some kind of reaction the next year. Maybe his confidence was knocked by the last race of 94.

Anyway he certainly showed well against Villeneuve the next year.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 14:47 (Ref:558390)   #20
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are we all forgetting Sennas Honda connection? Im sure he would have headed a Honda F1 return, maybe the one that came to pass almost in 2000.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 15:12 (Ref:558437)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by codename_47
Well, considering the man himself said racing was his life,...
Yes, indeed. Maybe is sad to say, but Senna's death was the only way for him. Senna belonged to that class of men that wouldn't be anywhere else but racing. I dare to say that he would choose - if he could choose - exactly what happened.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 15:38 (Ref:558479)   #22
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't agree with you, Bononi: Senna was dramatically passionate for racing, but he was nevertheless a person with a lot of interests: everybody certainly remembers his long holydays, that kept him far away from racing up until a few days before the season offstart.
So I don't see in him a one-dimension man; he could have gone on without any problem, believe me

Last edited by climb; 4 Apr 2003 at 15:40.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 17:00 (Ref:558565)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Long holidays... racing go-karts in his home made circuit, speeding with his jetski (and God, I know how thrilling it is), riding on his bike, flying on his jet and occasionally being invited to fly in a F-14 of the air force.

The right dimension of Senna you can get in Nuno Cobra's book and Nice Ribero's "The circus and the dream". A man 110% devoted to racing. "Racing is part of my life, it's in my blood"

I just realized that I have something in common with him... the passion for jetskiing.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 11:05 (Ref:559178)   #24
Daiboy
Rookie

Daiboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers guys!!! Please tell me more though, about how the sport has changed, and why 84-94 was better than 94-02, the drivers,rivalries, personalities, teams, cars that made it better or worse.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 11:22 (Ref:559191)   #25
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
I think he would've driven for Williams for the rest of his career, and would've won 96 and 97 titles easily, as no other car came close. The Benettons of 94 and 95 were vastly superior (whether legally or not) so winning in those wouldve been a big ask, especially from 30 points down in 1994.
Cannot agree. Hill, in an inferior car, would never have kept up with Schuey in a superior car. Totally different leagues as drivers.
The Williams started off in 94 struggling to match the Benetton but by mid-season had been turned into the better of the two cars.

They carried that advantage over into the beginning of 95, the new Benetton at that stage a very twitchy thing. Hill failed to capitalise on his early advantage, so when Schuey had finally got his new car sorted, he was easily able to sail into the distance. The closest Hill got to him was when he crashed into Schuey at Silverstone and Monza ...

Ayrton? I think he would have won the 94 title (if Hill got so close I think it's fair to say Ayrton would have managed it - even Schumacher in the final press conference of the year admitted it was always clear that Ayrton was going to win it), plus 95, 96 and 97 and then, with Renault withdrawing, called it a day. He would have been 37, with seven world drivers' titles and goodness knows how many wins and pole positions ...

Then maybe some years away from the sport building the Senna Foundation before accepting an advisory role in it.