Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 29 Jan 2002, 14:31 (Ref:206257)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One One Bentlet @ Le Mans 2002?

Just found this on DailySportscar.com

There could be major changes in the Bentley programme. If the word out of sources close to the project are correct, Team Bentley will only campaign one car for Le Mans this year, and run a select few other races, possibly Petit Le Mans. This has some merit as Audi is gearing up for a run at the all important hat trick and with as many as four to five R8s at La Sarthe, it is doubtful that the bottle green LMP GT coupe has much of a shot at the top step on the podium after 24 hours. A longer testing programme together with an all out assault in 2003 is a likely scenario. Stay tuned......

Interesting let see if it happens
Old 29 Jan 2002, 15:51 (Ref:206276)   #2
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One would think that the best test is to race?

entering one car would be a bit risky given the risks involved in practice etc.
Old 29 Jan 2002, 17:56 (Ref:206313)   #3
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would liked to have seen more Bentleys but now I'd settle for TWO, One just isn't enough in my opinion.
Old 30 Jan 2002, 13:10 (Ref:206484)   #4
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it's looking ever more likely that Audi will go for their third consecutive win this year, then leave it to Bentley to sweep all in 2003 - 06.
Old 30 Jan 2002, 13:52 (Ref:206494)   #5
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Wyer used to insist that it takes three cars to win LeMans. his thinking was that you will lose one each to accidents and mechanical failures. If you are lucky, your third car will get through unscathed. Because Audi so wants the three in a row, it would be bad form for a corporate sister to upset the apple cart, so there is probably only enough funding for one car. But watch out next year.
Old 30 Jan 2002, 13:58 (Ref:206497)   #6
Logan
Rookie

Logan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with Nordic.

3 is best, 2 is safe but 1 is definately cutting it a bit fine, and I would of thought that if they want to put miles on the new engine LM would be the place.

Something tells me that VAG group top brass are definately behind this one.

Logan.
Old 30 Jan 2002, 15:39 (Ref:206536)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just seen this on Autosport.com

Bentley down to one car for 2002

British make to field one EXP Speed 8 at Sebring and Le Mans

Famous British marque Bentley has confirmed that it is to reduce its attack on this year's Le Mans 24 hours race to just one car. Bentley returned to the famous French race in 2001 after an absence of more than 50 years and is to return again this year, but with only one version of its EXP Speed 8.

The Volkswagen-owned make is also to compete at the opening round of the American Le Mans Series, the Sebring 12 Hours in March, in preparation for Le Mans.

After a best-of-the-rest third place behind Audi at La Sarthe last year, Andy Wallace, Butch Leitzinger and Eric van de Poele will be the sole entry in 2002. Lead driver of the second car last year Martin Brundle, confirmed two weeks ago that he would not de driving this year, due to his Formula 1 commentary commitments.

The loss of one car leaves British sportscar ace Guy Smith and former Le Mans winner Stephane Ortelli, who partnered Brundle last year, without a drive for the endurance classic.

Bentley will use a new 4-litre engine in its car this year and while it does not expect to beat Audi, the Apex Motorsport-run team is aiming for the top step of the podium in 2003, when it will field an all-new car.

Bentley chairman elect Franz-Josef Paefgen said: "We would like to repeat, if not better, our 2001 podium position this year, but believe me, we are definitely aiming for the top step in 2003 with the new car."

This is bad news, very bad news, but at least we get to see the team at Sebring.
Old 30 Jan 2002, 16:16 (Ref:206568)   #8
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think audi are being a bit optimistic re Bentley 2003, all the private audis are not going to vanish and would still be fast in 2003 & 2004,
What will Joest run if not Audis? Are VAG saying customers will not run in 2003? or will they all be renamed Bentley's!

I think one car is a big mistake, on bad call at pre Q and the car may miss the race.

Last edited by Nordic; 30 Jan 2002 at 16:23.
Old 30 Jan 2002, 18:43 (Ref:206711)   #9
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This news just adds to my bad day.

I hate the new layout and now find that there will be only 1 Bentley at Le Mans.
Old 30 Jan 2002, 22:37 (Ref:206991)   #10
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Speaking of Bentley, are the die casts out in europe yet?
Old 31 Jan 2002, 09:39 (Ref:207220)   #11
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bentley diecasts

The Bentley diecasts are being produced by Ixo in China. I would think that they will be delivered to the States before Europe, the Ford MkIV hasn't arrived yet and the Jaguars are just filtering through. In the days of Quartzo/Onyx, etc, Europe seemed to get them earlier (and cheaper). Looks like that has reversed with the operation going to China. BTW, check out the stuff being slated for production by Spark Models (www.sparkmodel.com), including the Mercedes CLR (flying car ;-)). Just when I bit the bullet and got the BBR kit.....
Old 31 Jan 2002, 13:15 (Ref:207345)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This really is disappointing news. Entering just one car smacks of no more than a token effort to me.

By the way, looking at the title of the thread, is a Bentlet a little Bentley?

(Sorry rd!).

Last edited by Aysedasi; 31 Jan 2002 at 13:15.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 14:01 (Ref:207390)   #13
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
This really is disappointing news. Entering just one car smacks of no more than a token effort to me.
I think it's a lot more to do with corporate shuffling than anything else to be honest. Audi wants that hat trick and even Bentley won't be allowed to stand in their way. Shame really as it would've been a good fight to see them all together jostling for position.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 14:05 (Ref:207393)   #14
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think last years formation (Audi-Bentley) finish tells us all we need to know about the VAG Group priorities. Still the only reason to run one car rather than two, must be financial.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 14:23 (Ref:207408)   #15
Logan
Rookie

Logan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess the only good news is that one Bentley will now be running at Sebring, not that that makes up for only one car at LM.

Logan.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 14:35 (Ref:207415)   #16
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Logan write
Quote:
I guess the only good news is that one Bentley will now be running at Sebring, not that that makes up for only one car at LM.
No it is bad thing that Bentley are only running one car @ Le Mans this year, if tey run 2 they have more chance of beating Audi, they should also run 2 cars @ Sebring, as they have a chance of winning both races, if AUdi lets them of course,
Old 31 Jan 2002, 14:51 (Ref:207427)   #17
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Re: Bentley diecasts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by iucrmh

" BTW, check out the stuff being slated for production by Spark Models "

Yeah, it's just disgusting. I don't want to build any of the new cars because the Sparks are so good. They are taking the fun out of it!

"Just when I bit the bullet and got the BBR kit.....

Wait until you try to put the windshield in! I hope you are a patient guy. If you are a modeller, please check out the armchair section. Enough people are interested in models that it is becoming really good. It will give you a chance to share some of your models.
Attached Thumbnails
toughglass.jpg  
Old 31 Jan 2002, 15:05 (Ref:207430)   #18
Blue2
Rookie

Blue2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Three words. LACK OF AMBITION

I imagine Team Bentley are hoping to keep this year's budget as low as possible, in order to go for broke in 2003, at which event they claim to be planning an outright win. Surely though this is a false economy, given the risk of a single car team not making it to raceday, let alone to ther finish. They had two cars last year, and one finished. On form then, we should mathmatically expect 0.5 Bentleys top finish!

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect that not only will running a one car team at Le Mans 2002 ruin their 2002 effort, but maybe also their 2003 effort, the one they plan to win.

I know they couldn't get Brundle due to his main career as a television commentator, but a second car with any half-decent driver would at least provide them with mileage.

It's become all too easy to suspect teams of simply making cynical attempts to save themselves for a later opportunity to run unchallenged at Le Mans. I thought challenge was good. If you can't beat the big boys, what's the point?

Three words. TEAM JOEST AUDIs
Old 31 Jan 2002, 20:10 (Ref:207669)   #19
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it's down to the MG's then!! Sounds like Volkswagen have run out of cash or don;t think they can beat Audi without Brundle.

My MG flag is ordered.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 20:24 (Ref:207682)   #20
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Bentley will enter 2 cars in 2003?
Old 31 Jan 2002, 21:34 (Ref:207767)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I sincerely hope so, Hakkiman.

It's a bit of a coincidence that Brundle announces his intention to stay at home at around the same time as Bentley dump one car, but I'm sure it's just that. Besides, they still have the best driver on the team. (Go Andy go! ).
Old 31 Jan 2002, 21:54 (Ref:207806)   #22
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Don't despair yet. Apex Motorsport and Racing Technology, who ran the EXP 8's are pushing for the 2 car team to be maintained. Their is to be an announcement made soon which will confirm the plans and driver line up. The 5 remaining drivers, minus Brundle are being retained for the time being, althought the line up for the #8 car would be the prefered one should a single car be run.
Old 2 Feb 2002, 12:20 (Ref:208827)   #23
Blue2
Rookie

Blue2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In which case it seems rather odd for Bentley to go public about the one car plans. Most odd. Here's to waiting!
Old 2 Feb 2002, 12:23 (Ref:208832)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep. Fingers and all other available appendages crossed.