Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 8 Feb 2002, 23:43 (Ref:212784)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Routes to Le Mans

I'm plotting my annual pilgrimage early this year, and for once in my life, I'm planning to remove the one hassle I encounter on trips to la Sarthe.

Downtown Rouen.

I'm sure the historic part of the city is lovely, but the industrial area where the through-routes go is not exactly prepossessing, and I've come too close to being wiped out by artics too often.

So, given that my crossing is booked, and I shall be starting from Calais, what would the French residents and Le Mans regulars recommend as a good route to avoid driving through Rouen?

Apologies in advance if you happen to live in Rouen.

And - what is everyone's favoured route across France? Is Calais the natural choice for the crossing, or are some of the other ports preferable?
Old 9 Feb 2002, 00:00 (Ref:212791)   #2
Abs
Rookie

Abs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's got to be Pompey - Caen, the atmosphere at the port, on the boat and the 90 miles the other side.

Sunday night back the same route, everyone is knackered but has to grab every last minute of a great weekend.
Old 9 Feb 2002, 10:36 (Ref:212920)   #3
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is very easy. First get your map of Northern France.

Calais - Neufchatel en B as usual.
Just after Neufchatel en B Junction 11 the road splits, take the A29 to Junction 5 (You could take the N29) turn off to Yvetot. Take the small D131 road southbound, this somehow turns into the D913 and comes out at Bourgtheroulde on the traditional N138.
It is a scenic route though the forest. There is a 10F toll bridge over the Seine. (Be warned it is very high.)

The route is longer but the sulpher factory in Rouen is avoided. We have done this route a few times without a problem.

Rouen town is very historic and worthy of a stop sometime. Also the old racetrack just south of Rouen (I have directions if required)

SL
Old 9 Feb 2002, 19:17 (Ref:212998)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Portsmouth to Caen every time to me (or Portsmouth - Le Havre at a push)! Easy for me to say, I live in Hampshire anyway!!
Old 9 Feb 2002, 21:24 (Ref:213219)   #5
Blue2
Rookie

Blue2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My ferry preference: Portsmouth-Caen or Portsmouth-Le Harve. We leave from Bristol though, so Dover makes no sense. In addition, I enjoy the long overnight ferry journey on the way back, as I'm not our driver and get another chance to get absolutley faced, sing and dance, before "befriending" the ferry's female staff. Ferries rock.

I shall watch this thread with interest, as we are planning a "Travel" section on Le Mans World.
Old 11 Feb 2002, 09:20 (Ref:213954)   #6
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Re: Routes to Le Mans

Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
I'm plotting my annual pilgrimage early this year, and for once in my life, I'm planning to remove the one hassle I encounter on trips to la Sarthe.

Downtown Rouen.

I'm sure the historic part of the city is lovely, but the industrial area where the through-routes go is not exactly prepossessing, and I've come too close to being wiped out by artics too often.

So, given that my crossing is booked, and I shall be starting from Calais, what would the French residents and Le Mans regulars recommend as a good route to avoid driving through Rouen?

Apologies in advance if you happen to live in Rouen.

I don't live in Rouen, but I work there. My almost-famous How Not To Get Lost in Rouen guide 2002 version (which takes current roadworks into account and includes maps) will be ready in March and will be sent to everyone who emails me at c.laws@wanadoo.fr
If you've had one before and want the 2002 version (comes with maps and a guide to finding the old GP circuit) please email again, as the badtrans virus has wiped my address book.

As to Channel crossings, if you have limited time the Chunnel is the only way to go as long as you enjoy driving.

Roll on June - and May for Powermite and anyone else going to PQ.
Old 11 Feb 2002, 15:46 (Ref:214100)   #7
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Travelling through Rouen on the way to Le Mans is normally fairly simple (except last year, thrilled at successfully negotiating the city, I managed to lead our 3-car convoy onto to the Autoroute in the direction of Paris...) it's the way back which always seems to cause problems. Especially in the dark as the French road signs are not illuminated and British headlamps point the wrong way

As for crossings, Calais is our groups preferred option. The run to Rouen is nice and fast, with very little traffic, so the extra distance from Le Mans is no handicap.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 16:09 (Ref:214623)   #8
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After a couple of years of Dover Calais, We are going to try Newhaven - Dieppe again, this used to be our favored route during our night time blasts to LM.
I don't normally find a problem with Rouen, But I do agree its not pretty and always seems to take a long time.

Having seen SL's brake lights disappear up the wrong road several
times I would be wary of his directions!!
But the route he discribes is good if a little out of your way.
Old 13 Feb 2002, 13:17 (Ref:215189)   #9
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Rouen to Paris sidestep

Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage
I managed to lead our 3-car convoy onto to the Autoroute in the direction of Paris...)
I did that for the first time 3 years ago. Its trying to find that slip road (that only has one signpost) whilst your driver is intent on passing camions at warp factor 6 that makes it so effin tricky. So it was a drivers fault, not navigators
A quick study of the map as we hurtled toward Paris showed that taking the next exit off for Evreux and then running down to Nonancourt across to Mortagne au Perche (or summat like that) before rejoining the E402 at the Alencon ring road would work nicely.
It does too.
Usually less traffic, more dual carrigeway, equals more speed. Maybe the new road will make this sidestep unnecessary.
Strangely the return journey is straight up the 402 to Rouen.

Commissaire au Poste 106bis (that means I marshal there at some quiet! little spot away from the hordes!)- the scene of the 15th minute first downpour disaster in 2001
Old 13 Feb 2002, 13:34 (Ref:215195)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Rouen to Paris sidestep

Quote:
Originally posted by Bodysnatcher

Commissaire au Poste 106bis (that means I marshal there at some quiet! little spot away from the hordes!)- the scene of the 15th minute first downpour disaster in 2001
That must have been rather entertaining, BS! Welcome to 10/10ths, by the way....
Old 13 Feb 2002, 13:35 (Ref:215196)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Having seen SL's brake lights disappear up the wrong road several
times I would be wary of his directions!!
Well at least he does use his brakes.....!
Old 13 Feb 2002, 14:35 (Ref:215221)   #12
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
106 in 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

That must have been rather entertaining, BS! Welcome to 10/10ths, by the way....
I was on the yellow/white flags, which got bloody heavy due to the rain, interesting is not how I remember it.
On some videos i can just be made out and I look extremely knackered (cos I was).

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 13 Feb 2002 at 14:35.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 19:55 (Ref:216014)   #13
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calais - Rouen - Le Mans, is the way we went before. Shall be doing it again come June.

But we were done for speeding (rookie error), they really are pretty keen.. there was a queue of us waiting to hand over cash!! We should have gone faster though.. the Bentley behind got charged the same and he was doing 140 mph!!
Old 14 Feb 2002, 22:05 (Ref:216117)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Friel
.. the Bentley behind got charged the same and he was doing 140 mph!!
Who was driving it, Andy Wallace?