Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 8 Oct 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2306751)   #1
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Alberto Puig opens his mouth; cr*p comes out...

Alberto gave an exclusive interview to motogp.com. It is certainly worth a read, it made me laugh!

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2008/P...sol+Honda+role

Quote:
This year the only ones who were really keen to keep working with Michelin were Honda and Dani Pedrosa.

Quote:
All I can say is that Hayden may be bothered because now he can´t access information and telemetry data from Dani´s bike. With this information he was able to improve his riding, as he had all of Dani´s references and now he can´t use that any longer. He was simply copying as he never knew how to set-up a bike.

Weird bloke, this Puig-dude.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 12:53 (Ref:2306782)   #2
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah sure. I can really imagine former world champion Nicky Hayden feeling he needs to learn from Pedro-bot.

I wish all the best to Dovi next year because boy is he gonna need luck with support like this....
Old 8 Oct 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2306797)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I ahve heard differing reports about Puig really. I can understand his desire to protect Dani and look after him but I think this boils over a bit too much sometimes.

It is rumoured that a lot of HRC personnel would like to have Dani without this entourage, as when Puig is not around he relaxes a lot and ismroe himself.

Real shame that someone has so much control, Dani is the one taking risks and riding, yet it seems he is very easily manipulated by Puig. Almost like a father!
Old 8 Oct 2008, 13:15 (Ref:2306802)   #4
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now, F1 fans - who does that remind us of!!
Old 8 Oct 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2306808)   #5
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it strange that you often hear Puig referred to as Dani's "mentor" in the press and commentaries. This may have been true in the early years, but considering Puig's career in GPs was not particularly stellar (1 GP win), I doubt there is much more Pedrosa could learn at this stage from Puig's experience.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2307065)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think also that Puig definately cherry picjed the riers he liked and disliked.

Remember there were three in that Telefonica deal, Elias and Olive, only this year has Olicve really shown some proper talent.

Elias did a runner sharpish despite actually doing well in the Movistar team.

I rated Puig as a rier in 95, he was guicing Mick tough time quite a lot and seemed to suit a 500 really well, far better than a 250 actually where he spent most of his career.

I dont mind the way he pushes Dani, what I dislike is all the trying to get Michelin riders to boycott a race and all the Bridgestone stuff. That just looks like "man with power going to his head"
Old 8 Oct 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2307096)   #7
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ha well that was a funny interview to wake up to in the morning.

for some reason ive never liked the guy (Puig) just seems like a knob. now that kinda confirms it.

also, why does he always use his full name i.e Dani Pedrosa? is it some kind of marketing thing? bad translation?

Stoner must feel relieved that he didnt continue the Puig experience.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 21:53 (Ref:2307118)   #8
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
Now, F1 fans - who does that remind us of!!
Old 9 Oct 2008, 16:21 (Ref:2307673)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Puig have an accident in 1995 or 1996 (resulting in a broken leg), and once he returned was never quite the same?

There seems to generally be alot of support for Nicky Hayden & his situation, i'd say Puig was just trying to put abit of spin their way, though what he states is pretty outlandish
Old 9 Oct 2008, 23:55 (Ref:2307987)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The whole Pedrosa camp reeks really. If it's not Pedrosa slagging off Hayden's supposed lack of development abilities it's the boss man throwing vitriol this way and that.

I wish them the very least success.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 02:10 (Ref:2308804)   #11
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
my rule with reports like this (and news in general) is to always try to confirm that quotes etc are real and within context, the web has a terrible reputation for botching stuff.....that said, Hayden has always seemed to be a rather restrained person with his comments and I have respect for his honesty and lack of whinyness.
Because of that, my take on this (as with most people most likely) is the apparent lack of class that this fellow has shown...
He could be misquoted, but its sure as heck not just one sentence so.....
And you know what, even if Hayden isnt as good as Pedrosa in setting up a bike, to make these sort of statements really does show an attitude that must have been a real drag to be around for Hayden.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 03:58 (Ref:2312718)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I always find it a bit odd when a particular camp goes off on another that has, when push comes to shove, hit higher than the one doing the complaining...

Even if you could somewhat see where they might be coming from, well, it just comes across as rather stupid to be banging on about such things given the context.

"Yeah, well, this guy sucks, and, well, it is shown by the fact he has, when it comes down to it, ultiamtely punched higher...yes, you see, as I was..."

Last edited by Dutton; 15 Oct 2008 at 04:04.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 16:19 (Ref:2313136)   #13
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
not to mention the old adage of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all...."

especially as it seems in this case, with a fellow (Hayden) who certainly doesn't seem to come across as a mouthy, conniving sort of guy....

basically this stuff reflects on the character of the complainees....quite loudly
Old 21 Oct 2008, 07:46 (Ref:2317297)   #14
agosling
Racer

agosling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Puig is like a dad to Dani, one who either through lack of opportunity or in this case, lack of ability, was never the success they had hoped to be so they live their dream through the children.

Nicky is one of the hardest workers there is, I have no doubt that he has used Dani's settings at times because Honda have been so desparate to have Dani win and Nicky is without doubt the better development rider.

Puig needs to remember that Dani wouldn't have had a bike that he was able to win on if it wasn't for Nicky, lets remember that Dani seems to have a habit of injuring himself during testing and having nothing to do with the bikes off season development.

I interviewed Nicky at Phillip Island this year and he remains as polite as ever towards Honda, given the way he has been treated by them I find this nothing short of amazing.
Old 21 Oct 2008, 07:53 (Ref:2317305)   #15
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why does Puig have so much power anyway?
Old 22 Oct 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2318321)   #16
djb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
Why does Puig have so much power anyway?
very good question, an obvious one really. I certainly do not follow motogp writings enough to have the background on Puigs position and leverage on things to give an answer, but it is interesting that (if this is all to be believed) the manager of one rider would maneuvor himself politically into this position.

most likely details that we the general public will never really know...
Old 22 Oct 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2318534)   #17
agosling
Racer

I think it is fairly obvious why Puig has power, it is simply because he has Dani and Honda is totally fixated on Dani. It also doesn't hurt that Repsol is Spainish either.

He has followed a fairly common path for Spainish ex riders, Aspar, Pons, Nieto etc have all taken on the metor roll with varying levels of success. Puig, while one of the lesser riders manager to hit the jackpot with Dani.

To be fair to him he has had a fairly decent record of picking riders over the last few years, Stoner still races with the number 27 that Puig gave him.
Old 22 Oct 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2318592)   #18
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by agosling
I think it is fairly obvious why Puig has power, it is simply because he has Dani and Honda is totally fixated on Dani. It also doesn't hurt that Repsol is Spainish either.

He has followed a fairly common path for Spainish ex riders, Aspar, Pons, Nieto etc have all taken on the metor roll with varying levels of success. Puig, while one of the lesser riders manager to hit the jackpot with Dani.

To be fair to him he has had a fairly decent record of picking riders over the last few years, Stoner still races with the number 27 that Puig gave him.
In fairness, Dani is no Rossi or Stoner though is he? For instance, he's crap in a straight fight. He needs to lead from the front or forget about it. If the Spaniards need a world champ, Lorenzo is a better bet surely. I wouldn't mind if Puig had been a successful rider - if it was Doohan or a retired Rossi I could maybe understand to a point. Even so, how can giants like Repsol and Honda be controlled by this egotist?
Old 23 Oct 2008, 07:19 (Ref:2318784)   #19
agosling
Racer

I agree, Dani is certainly not in the stoner/rossi/lorenzo league, however Honda are fixated on him. Personally I doubt that he will ever win a championship, his best chance to do that was `07 and that didn't work out, he will win races and be up in the top 5 for a few more years before fading to yet another one of those who never quite made it.

Depending on how good Dovi proves at developing the bike it could get much worse now that they have lost Hayden, cause for all the rubbish they gave him he kept on working and developing the bike for them.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 07:59 (Ref:2318807)   #20
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by agosling
I agree, Dani is certainly not in the stoner/rossi/lorenzo league, however Honda are fixated on him. Personally I doubt that he will ever win a championship, his best chance to do that was `07 and that didn't work out, he will win races and be up in the top 5 for a few more years before fading to yet another one of those who never quite made it.

Depending on how good Dovi proves at developing the bike it could get much worse now that they have lost Hayden, cause for all the rubbish they gave him he kept on working and developing the bike for them.
All true. Just another point on that clown Puig and his jibes at Hayden - the 800 was so built for the diminutive Pedrosa, how could Hyaden or anyone else over 5 feet tall be expected to be competitive on that mini moto? I like Dovi a lot, hope it works out well for him.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 18:24 (Ref:2320165)   #21
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Regarding Puig as a rider, he was actually pretty decent and even teh mighty Doohan was heard to say "since Puig had his accident, there is no one to fight with anymore!"

Peopel tend to forget that Alberto nearly lost his leg and was in a hugely debilitated state for the next few years as a 500cc rider, yet he still got a few podiums!

I prefer to rememebr Alberto in this way rather than as the mainpulative person he seems to be now.
Old 25 Oct 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2320479)   #22
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Regarding Puig as a rider, he was actually pretty decent and even teh mighty Doohan was heard to say "since Puig had his accident, there is no one to fight with anymore!"

Peopel tend to forget that Alberto nearly lost his leg and was in a hugely debilitated state for the next few years as a 500cc rider, yet he still got a few podiums!

I prefer to rememebr Alberto in this way rather than as the mainpulative person he seems to be now.
He was good pre-accident and nobody doubts that. Regardless of why, his record shows is it 1 GP win, so it is a head scratcher as to why he is so influential now and in such a bad way. It is not good for the sport and clearly he isn't the nicest of chaps.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 06:38 (Ref:2321522)   #23
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
he was good in 1 season when honda won everything - any better than noby aoki
Old 27 Oct 2008, 07:35 (Ref:2321544)   #24
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Doesn't Puig also run the Red Bull MotoGP Academy?
Old 27 Oct 2008, 21:19 (Ref:2322114)   #25
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
Doesn't Puig also run the Red Bull MotoGP Academy?
True.