Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 Jan 2019, 17:59 (Ref:3878610)   #3426
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
On sc365 today, it sounds more like Ford will do DPi if they add hybrids and change the regs after the current round is up. If it's extended it doesn't look like they're very interested in that.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 19:31 (Ref:3880262)   #3427
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I know little about the politics, but I do know the DPIs are great cars to watch. They look, sound and drive great. The LMP2s look mundane by comparison. I'd be perfectly happy to see something like a DPI at Le Mans and elsewhere.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 23:44 (Ref:3880305)   #3428
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
They look and drive exactly the same as an LMP2 and I'd hardly call the motor in those unspectacular when it isn't rev limited into oblivion for no reason.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 02:34 (Ref:3880329)   #3429
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I know little about the politics, but I do know the DPIs are great cars to watch. They look, sound and drive great. The LMP2s look mundane by comparison. I'd be perfectly happy to see something like a DPI at Le Mans and elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
They look and drive exactly the same as an LMP2 and I'd hardly call the motor in those unspectacular when it isn't rev limited into oblivion for no reason.
This is a perfect example of too much information killing some of the joy. I read anyopenroad's post about his trip to Daytona. It read a lot like I remember my trips to Sebring. Just pure fun, with no worries about the behind the scenes stuff that caused it to be that way.

And here, he again is expressing his enjoyment of watching cool looking, fast cars putting on a good race. But carbsmith, who I know is on here enough to be informed and follow all the politics, bop, what has been done to separate dpi and p2, etc, sees the negativity in what went into making these cool looking, fast cars put on a good show.

There's nothing wrong with either point of view, but I sort of wish sometimes I could go back to not knowing all the politics and enjoying the racing more purely like I used to years ago. (Doesn't hurt that being at the race, maybe anyopenroad was able to miss out on guiseppe risi's dour, negative interview about bop.

*This is the closest I will ever get to a "things were better back in my day" type post.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 02:50 (Ref:3880332)   #3430
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
By the way, did mazda remind anyone else of Toyota at le mans a few years ago when it all went wrong in just a few minutes time for both cars?
Old 29 Jan 2019, 15:20 (Ref:3880442)   #3431
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
This is a perfect example of too much information killing some of the joy. I read anyopenroad's post about his trip to Daytona. It read a lot like I remember my trips to Sebring. Just pure fun, with no worries about the behind the scenes stuff that caused it to be that way.

And here, he again is expressing his enjoyment of watching cool looking, fast cars putting on a good race. But carbsmith, who I know is on here enough to be informed and follow all the politics, bop, what has been done to separate dpi and p2, etc, sees the negativity in what went into making these cool looking, fast cars put on a good show.

There's nothing wrong with either point of view, but I sort of wish sometimes I could go back to not knowing all the politics and enjoying the racing more purely like I used to years ago. (Doesn't hurt that being at the race, maybe anyopenroad was able to miss out on guiseppe risi's dour, negative interview about bop.

*This is the closest I will ever get to a "things were better back in my day" type post.
Yep, being at the track almost completely removes all the political BS so it's all fun and joy left at the scene, making for good times (except when the weather doesn't corporate...). I'm glad I can still get that feeling pretty much at any race track with any racing series.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 18:47 (Ref:3880487)   #3432
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Nothing wrong with enjoying DPi on track, I'd just suggest LMP2 would also be comparably fun to watch under other circumstances. You'd hate to miss out on them at full tilt in ELMS just based on what they're like in IMSA now.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 21:39 (Ref:3880515)   #3433
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Nothing wrong with enjoying DPi on track, I'd just suggest LMP2 would also be comparably fun to watch under other circumstances. You'd hate to miss out on them at full tilt in ELMS just based on what they're like in IMSA now.
I don't find p2 in wec all that interesting.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 14:12 (Ref:3880672)   #3434
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The P2's certainly sound great on track!
Old 30 Jan 2019, 14:22 (Ref:3880677)   #3435
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
The P2's certainly sound great on track!
Indeed they do! And that is why having them with dpi is so much fun, adds to the variety of sights and sounds.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 14:45 (Ref:3880681)   #3436
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I don't find p2 in wec all that interesting.
Don't find LMP2 interesting at all anywhere.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 15:18 (Ref:3880685)   #3437
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Don't find LMP2 interesting at all anywhere.
Cheer up dude, go to a race!
Old 10 Jul 2019, 13:35 (Ref:3916843)   #3438
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Core is planning to continue with Nissan in 2020.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/c...th-nissan-dpi/
Old 10 Jul 2019, 15:44 (Ref:3916870)   #3439
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Asking Porsche to build a hybrid DPi 2.0 for 2022? Hope that works.
Old 10 Jul 2019, 18:28 (Ref:3916898)   #3440
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I could see that occurring but with most of the cost footed by Core so might be a tough sell. Unless Porsche sees the writing on the way of an upcoming GTE/LM implosion and wants to get out. But think of how many they could sell, it's pretty much the history of Porsche racing. Hang out, observe and build a better cheaper mousetrap.
Old 10 Jul 2019, 20:21 (Ref:3916922)   #3441
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

unlikely but who knows... if porsche is looking for a racing partner,

ganassi next year should be available

wonder how competitive could be a 180^ 6 cylinders inside a lmp-like prototype. Supposing it can be fitted.

Flying lizard and AXR used the 997 engine in DP2 almost 10 years ago, when power output was about 500hp. Guess to get 600hp it would be required the 3.8L turbo
Old 11 Jul 2019, 01:50 (Ref:3916944)   #3442
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
unlikely but who knows... if porsche is looking for a racing partner,

ganassi next year should be available

wonder how competitive could be a 180^ 6 cylinders inside a lmp-like prototype. Supposing it can be fitted.

Flying lizard and AXR used the 997 engine in DP2 almost 10 years ago, when power output was about 500hp. Guess to get 600hp it would be required the 3.8L turbo
could porsche just use some type of v4? they might have something laying around.......
Old 11 Jul 2019, 03:17 (Ref:3916950)   #3443
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Penske ran a pair of DP Porsches for a season .... they were BoP'd out of contention. But Porwsche has lots of power plants available, and with a hybrid system .... something with which Porsche has some experience ....

The Cayenne has a 550 bhp 4–liter twin-turbo V8 .....
Old 11 Jul 2019, 04:42 (Ref:3916955)   #3444
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I'd like to see an h pattern engine in prototype. Closest we have now is the BRZ flat 4 in Super GT.