Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 19 Dec 2002, 10:43 (Ref:453300)   #1
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Near misses / D'OH!

Inspired by last night's attempt at cutting my own finger off with the angle grinder, I was wondering if anyone else had had a "D'OH!" moment in the workshop. I'm not interested in anything where someone has been seriously hurt, but have you ever done something, then realised afterwards that the consequences could have been worse. Or have you every suffered an unusual or comical accident?

Tell us your stories
Old 19 Dec 2002, 11:53 (Ref:453344)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Way off topic in the first reply to you post, but I did everything bar run over a possom late last night... at least I think I chopped its tail off!
Old 19 Dec 2002, 12:01 (Ref:453356)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I was walking through the storeroom at a supermarket I worked at when I was younger when the storeman was busy bailing up cardboard in a crusher (compactor). He was releasing the machine when a hammer inside it flew out towards me (completly unaware at the speed it was travelling) as somebody called my name. I stopped and turned as the hammer flew past my face straight through the wall next to me.

A close call indeed.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 12:53 (Ref:453377)   #4
Maisie
Veteran

Old 19 Dec 2002, 14:32 (Ref:453495)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One of the few times I've ever tried doing any work on a car, we were supposed to be changing the front pads, but the callipers were a rusted up mess.

So there's me, lying under the car with a hammer and chisel, trying to batter the callipers apart, having already accepted the truth that the discs needed replacing too. Astonishingly (to me at the time!), the jack gave way and the car fell earthwards...

Never has anyone ever been more grateful that we'd done the sensible thing (in one sense at least) and put the removed wheel under the car.

So, fortunately, the car only fell as far as the wheel. Unfortunately, I was on a back stroke with the hammer, the car hit the hammer and the hammer hit me above the eye.

Painful lesson about the limit of what you should do to a car on a normal scissor jack, and a fantastic black eye to show for it...

Old 19 Dec 2002, 16:20 (Ref:453559)   #6
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
eek, thats what scares me about going under a car!
Old 19 Dec 2002, 16:53 (Ref:453588)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
These days, I do very little, mainly cos I've no idea what I'm doing and anything I do wrong is likely to be expensive...

Old 19 Dec 2002, 17:07 (Ref:453596)   #8
Maisie
Veteran

These days I tend to do more and more myself, cos I'm slowly learning the skills, and cos letting someone else do it is likely to be expensive!
Old 19 Dec 2002, 22:48 (Ref:453825)   #9
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When I bought my first Dutton kit-car, I noticed one of the poppers for holding the soft-top on the windscreen frame was loose. It stayed loose for many months until one day I was taking my tools back into the house when I decided the time had come to tighten the self-tapper which retained the popper. I quickly found out why it was loose as it tried to tap into the glass behind it in the screen surround!
Old 19 Dec 2002, 23:33 (Ref:453848)   #10
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A local fire truck had a gear box explosion a while ago. Pieces of gear box were picked out of an inside wall of a funeral parlor.

Personally watching an uncel cuting a section of a car out with a grinder. Sparks ignighted a trail of fuel leading into the old mans shed....
Old 20 Dec 2002, 23:04 (Ref:454550)   #11
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This isn't me but it was my father.

He's a mechanic and one night he was called just to take a look at a squeaking fan belt as he was about to go home.

He was tugging the belt to check the tension, when the owner turned the key. His finger went through the water pump pulley and now we affectionately call him 'Stumpy'
Old 22 Dec 2002, 03:27 (Ref:455239)   #12
Red Dog
Racer

Red Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first mini....I was very neew to cars and was doing an oil change, do you remember the old element filters?..it all went quite well and having filled up with the right amount of oil I stood back to admire my work... there was a slippery squelching underfoot, I looked down and to my horror there was a slick spreading round my shoes and across my brother's driveway! I'll never leave the sump plug out again!
Old 23 Dec 2002, 01:33 (Ref:455869)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A guy I used to work with had difficulty explaining how he got the large nasty looking gash across his forehead and the big dent in his car bonnet. He'd been with his girlfriend in the garage when she got her heel caught in the handle of the wheelbarrow which was hanging from a hook in the ceiling. Attempts to dislodge her foot were only succesful in dislodging the wheelbarrow...