Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jan 2004, 13:39 (Ref:826478)   #1
mansellmania
Racer

mansellmania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mp4-19 on fire

Nice rumour ive been reading, apparently the spanish press has some rather bad news for the mclaren fans as the mp4-19 was seen catching fire at testing.. just like the mp4-18 loved a smoke.

Seems the packaging of engine and internals is still not cured after more than a year design.

Further they had an intervieuw with flavio briatore who said he was ' not impressed ' by the speed of the new mclaren if it was only half a second faster than his Renault R23 with hugely underpowered wide-angle V10.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 13:43 (Ref:826482)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Flavio's unimpressed, McLaren smokes, not the first time in history we've seen these 2 occurences.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 17:58 (Ref:826636)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't mansellmania go into a very lengthy rant about how meaningless testing is just a week or two ago? And now he expects us to change our views when a rumour of one mechanical failure surfaces?
Old 3 Jan 2004, 18:07 (Ref:826642)   #4
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
testing is really there to "test" a car be it setup, parts, layout, stress testing. Hence why its called testing. For all we know McLaren may have started the layout at the N'th degree and are slowly make (just for example) more room in the engine bay, and keep doing this until it works. Its always interesting to see what teams are up to and what they are capable of, however no-one really knows what teams are up to so testing is pretty much a black art to the causual observer.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 22:43 (Ref:826820)   #5
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flavio will certainly be impressed when they lap his cars at Melbourne...
Old 3 Jan 2004, 23:04 (Ref:826858)   #6
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be interested in seeing that.

Could this years Mclaren be a shot out of the blue like 98. The amazment in 98 when the Mclaren was just unstopable for the first half of the year made a great season with Ferrari battling back.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 23:07 (Ref:826864)   #7
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I can see DC burning up the tracks with it this season,2004 will be his WDC year for sure.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 23:11 (Ref:826877)   #8
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
I can see DC burning up the tracks with it this season,2004 will be his WDC year for sure.
It's a forgone conclusion.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 23:15 (Ref:826885)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Didn't mansellmania go into a very lengthy rant about how meaningless testing is just a week or two ago?
good call Boots

Quote:
Originally posted by mansellmania
testing means nothing.
and michelin needs 10000 laps before bridgestone even has to consider coming out of bed to try new wettyres.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 00:09 (Ref:826968)   #10
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah,it's just testing-they could be deliberately running it without radiators for all we know.

I can't see it being hugely reliable for at least the first few races though.Makes it a little more interesting for us.

Flabio's not impressed? Can anyone name a single time ever when we should be imressed with anything he says? lol
Old 4 Jan 2004, 01:24 (Ref:827016)   #11
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun
It's a forgone conclusion.
Honestly chum, I for one, will not be holding my breath, my advice is to 'be prepared'.

But then again, anything can happen in F1!

Last edited by Pitstop; 4 Jan 2004 at 01:26.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 02:11 (Ref:827046)   #12
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
Quick Armco! patent that statment before Mclaren allows DC to speak publicly
Old 4 Jan 2004, 04:46 (Ref:827113)   #13
BARrouette
Racer

BARrouette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is shure DC last chance to win the WDC but kimi is has shown that he is faster than him.But i shure see a WDC at Mclaren and i hope to see DC win that.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 18:18 (Ref:827521)   #14
mansellmania
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Didn't mansellmania go into a very lengthy rant about how meaningless testing is just a week or two ago? And now he expects us to change our views when a rumour of one mechanical failure surfaces?
But that was on the times rather than the events like cars on fire or even crashing.
That stuff i do find very interesting and telling.

Has anyone seen a picture yet somewhere of that mp4-19 on fire?
Old 4 Jan 2004, 18:21 (Ref:827528)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes I can get some frame posters, want one?

EDIT: Stupid typo.

Last edited by Adam43; 4 Jan 2004 at 18:41.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 18:37 (Ref:827546)   #16
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: mp4-19 on fire

Quote:
Originally posted by mansellmania
Further they had an intervieuw with flavio briatore who said he was ' not impressed ' by the speed of the new mclaren if it was only half a second faster than his Renault R23 with hugely underpowered wide-angle V10.
First of all, he would say that wouldn't he?

Also though - isn't this Valencia we're talking about? I think it is... in which case the lap is very short, the circuit is exceptionally twisty, and the 2003 Renault is probably one of the better cars around there. Since they are going away from the very low wide-angle engine I wouldn't be surprised if the 2004 Renault is no quicker at all at that circuit. I think half a second is a significant margin on that circuit. Not that testing times mean anything, eh?

Last edited by Glen; 4 Jan 2004 at 18:38.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 18:37 (Ref:827547)   #17
mansellmania
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Yes I can get some frame posters, what one?
heh