Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 May 2004, 08:57 (Ref:968443)   #1
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Air Intake in 2nd Headrest...

So I went through the 2004 regulations for the LMP1 and LMP2 classes and found that you can indeed place the air intake for the engine in the 2nd headrest that is mandatory for these classes per the 2004 regs... why courage decided to create so much more drag and put the JPX air intakes on top of the driver's headrest is beyond me, maybe they just didn't see this possibility. However, it seems that Lola has thought of this as it is shown in the concept sketch of the new LMP2 car which you can see here: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsnov03.html

it seems that the drag costs of the new 2004 regs on open top cars won't be as bad as though if car makers go this route...
Old 12 May 2004, 09:17 (Ref:968457)   #2
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not sure if the air intake on top of the driver´s head and integrated into the roll hood creates so much drag.. Lister has moved from a separated air intake in 2003 to an integrated roll hoop / airbox for 2004. De Cortanze did the same with the C60 courage, so it must not be a bad idea.
Old 12 May 2004, 09:45 (Ref:968481)   #3
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the goal has to be low frontal area plus good flow to the rear wing.
I guess you could do a second rollhoop without disturbing flow to the wing easier when not having to integrate an airbox.Having the airbox behind the cockpitopening and low may give you low airspeed at the approach to the box,whereas obove the rollhoop top is vehicle speed so you get a better feed to the engine.
So you trade in some minor increase incross section with better rearwingefficiency plus a little bit better engine feed .
Old 13 May 2004, 01:55 (Ref:969363)   #4
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcush.
the goal has to be low frontal area plus good flow to the rear wing.
I guess you could do a second rollhoop without disturbing flow to the wing easier when not having to integrate an airbox.Having the airbox behind the cockpitopening and low may give you low airspeed at the approach to the box,whereas obove the rollhoop top is vehicle speed so you get a better feed to the engine.
So you trade in some minor increase incross section with better rearwingefficiency plus a little bit better engine feed .
very good points but it would seem to me that since there HAS to be a second head rest due to the 2004 regs, why creat drag by placing the air intake on the driver's side and not integrate the air intake into an existing structure on the car... and the performance on the intake wouldn't be hampered too much i think because if you look at the domes or the mkIIIc this is where their air boxes are located anyways.
Old 13 May 2004, 11:36 (Ref:969703)   #5
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
I gave it second thoughts and ,looking at the domes speed you cannot
be too wrong.
Additionally these cars all run on restrictors anyway so F1 style Airboxes don´t make much sense.
Leaving the impossible Lister aside this leaves the question what made Courage put their airinlet there ...as usually they seem to be quite on top of their aerostuff...
Old 13 May 2004, 11:37 (Ref:969705)   #6
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
maybe something to do with the cars aero in Yaw?