Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2017, 12:23 (Ref:3750688)   #151
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Good luck to Vasseur, hopefully he can start to turn their fortunes around. But no Honda engine means they are gonna have to scrabble around to find a new engine partner for 2018 if it is true
Sauber-Renault?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Jul 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3750702)   #152
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Or a revival of Sauber-Mercedes, as they have Wehrlein.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 13:43 (Ref:3750706)   #153
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Or a revival of Sauber-Mercedes, as they have Wehrlein.
Are there enough Benzes to go round if McLaren takes a supply?
Old 12 Jul 2017, 15:21 (Ref:3750721)   #154
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sauber

I think Sauber-Mercedes with Wehrlein would be the best idea. Not only would they have a great engine, but they would be able to keep their star driver. That would be cosmic
Old 12 Jul 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3750726)   #155
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sounds like its more than just a team principle appointment...also managing director and CEO.

nothing against Kaltenborn (whom i thought did an excellent job and oversaw some great results during difficult time) but it is nice to see an engineer in charge rather than a lawyer...or dentist.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 16:12 (Ref:3750732)   #156
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I hope Sauber have a contingency plan already in place if ditching the Honda deal is what they are really doing. I'm not quite sure how wise the Swedish Sauber owners really are.

Hard to see both Sauber and Mclaren getting the Merc. But it's not absolutely impossible I suppose.

Was rumours that Williams may attempt to exit the customer doldrums and inherit the Honda works deal refuted by Williams at all?

And of course, after all this bru-ha-ha Mclaren may yet plough on with the Honda deal -- perhaps with a sweetener from Honda to soften the financial low of a long haul development program at least.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3750734)   #157
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I hope Sauber have a contingency plan already in place if ditching the Honda deal is what they are really doing. I'm not quite sure how wise the Swedish Sauber owners really are.

Hard to see both Sauber and Mclaren getting the Merc. But it's not absolutely impossible I suppose.

Was rumours that Williams may attempt to exit the customer doldrums and inherit the Honda works deal refuted by Williams at all?

And of course, after all this bru-ha-ha Mclaren may yet plough on with the Honda deal -- perhaps with a sweetener from Honda to soften the financial low of a long haul development program at least.
According to Autosport it may not be too easy for McLaren to ditch Honda anyway. If the link works - see here: http://www.autosport.com/premium/fea...sy-as-it-seems
Old 12 Jul 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3750754)   #158
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Are there enough Benzes to go round if McLaren takes a supply?
I don't think McLaren will.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3750785)   #159
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the idea of them using Ferraris badged as Alfas completely out of the question?
Old 13 Jul 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3750873)   #160
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I say them obviously I mean Sauber, I am sure they would happily use up to date pu's next year and as far as I know the whole Alfa thing is still a possibility.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 12:03 (Ref:3750909)   #161
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

Claire Williams asked her questioner did it make sense to go from the best engines in the field to the worst! No love there...
Old 13 Jul 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3750911)   #162
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Alfa Romeo I could see happening, would be cosmic to see them back in F1
Old 13 Jul 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3750917)   #163
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I'd rather see Alfa running Giulias in the DTM.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 09:34 (Ref:3751103)   #164
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Is the idea of them using Ferraris badged as Alfas completely out of the question?
When I say them obviously I mean Sauber, I am sure they would happily use up to date pu's next year and as far as I know the whole Alfa thing is still a possibility.
I thought the plan for the Alfa branding was to stick it on the Haas?

McLaren may want a Mercedes engine but Toto and Niki are against supplying McLaren so it's unlikely - so Sauber could pick up the Mercedes engine instead.

Quote:
I'd rather see Alfa running Giulias in the DTM.
That would be great Also unlikely - as that would cost a lot of money. A few Alfa stickers to go on a Haas would be peanuts compared to the cost of a DTM entry.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 14:56 (Ref:3751192)   #165
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
You have to speculate to accumulate. A DTM campaign would put the Giulia up against its major class rivals. Besides, Marchionne has talked about Alfa being in F1 as a constructor, which would make the DTM look like chump change.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 14:36 (Ref:3754728)   #166
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Sauber-Honda Deal Off
Old 27 Jul 2017, 14:41 (Ref:3754729)   #167
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Well, that didn't last long. Vasseur should now try to get the "spare" Mercedes engine deal and replace Ericsson with George Russell.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 15:07 (Ref:3754738)   #168
S griffin
Veteran

No surprise there, they must hope Honda don't suddenly improve
Old 27 Jul 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3754763)   #169
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
regardless of whose engine they use and given the funding levels of the other teams im not sure how much more competitive Sauber can really expect to be?

and if they are use the same engine as Mclaren then for sure Mclaren will beat them over the season.

so, all things being equal, their best chance to improve is really Mclaren staying with Honda, Honda not improving, and maybe like this year Sauber has a chance to not finish in last place.

Honda probably would have given them cheap engines plus money via sponsorship so they could just accept freeish engines and 10th place money but they want to fight and at least try to be competitive....good for them!

have to respect that will to fight and refusal to accept the complacency of 10th place money imo.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3755000)   #170
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Sauber will stay Ferrari powered in 2018 and beyond.

https://www.sauberf1team.com/news/th...uderia-ferrari
Old 28 Jul 2017, 08:06 (Ref:3755002)   #171
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Sauber will stay Ferrari powered in 2018 and beyond.

https://www.sauberf1team.com/news/th...uderia-ferrari
Using 2018-spec engines next year should be a suitable performance kick too
Old 28 Jul 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3755011)   #172
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Using 2018-spec engines next year should be a suitable performance kick too
Ferrari always supply their engines to customers with 'last years' performance anyway, so 2018-spec is only on paper. Not in reality.

Kaltenborn knew this and that's why she opted to use last years Ferrari engines at a much cheaper price this year, rather than pay full price for this years engines that have last years performance anyway.

Still, a year old Ferrari engine is 100% better than a current Honda engine!
Old 28 Jul 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3755070)   #173
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Any chance of Wehrlein vs Leclerc at Sauber? Protegé against protegé.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 13:17 (Ref:3755075)   #174
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Any chance of Wehrlein vs Leclerc at Sauber? Protegé against protegé.
Unlikely - isn't Ericsson related to the owners? So it'll be Ericsson / LeClerc
Old 28 Jul 2017, 13:46 (Ref:3755082)   #175
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Leaving Wehrlein in the cold? Or will he move to Force India to partner Ocon?