Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Apr 2006, 01:41 (Ref:1569671)   #1
Gir
Rookie

United States
In the Universe
Gir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Future Of F1

By the year 2008, do you think Formula One will exist as we know it today? If not, how will it change?
Old 4 Apr 2006, 01:45 (Ref:1569673)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 is always changing. Look back some years ago and it was a different game. F1 is dynamic and that keeps they going on. It will be different, but still F1, and I bet still popular and this forum will be full of fans.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 01:54 (Ref:1569679)   #3
Naruto
Racer

United States
Philadelphia, PA
Naruto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But F1 is not doing so great at ticket sales
Old 4 Apr 2006, 07:07 (Ref:1569785)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is that actually true?
it should be noted that Silverstone's attendence hasn't increased for some time

On a general note I could care less as long as it is still around.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 07:13 (Ref:1569789)   #5
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Lord Bernie has enough money to keep it going past 2008
Old 4 Apr 2006, 07:18 (Ref:1569793)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bernie would not support it if there were no return.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1569906)   #7
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 is all about the pinnacle of development.
The Max comes along with ideas to freeze it for a few years.
I know it's gone mad in these last few years, with money poured in like there was no tomorrow.
Perhaps they need to look at other ways of allowing development, but keeping performance in check. I still say that fuel restrictions would be the best way to go.
"Here you go, here's 150L of petrol (or 200L of bio-ethanol) that we just bought from the local supermarket down the road - now do what you can with it - you can't have anymore"
No restrictions on engine capacity, forced induction, number of cylinders, etc..
By limiting the fuel, you effectively limit the power. And with the FIA supplying the fuel, it stops exotic mixes that push the rules to the limit.

Oh, and next year, you only get 140L of petrol, or 190L of bio-ethanol.

That should keep then engine development going in the right direction.

And back to slicks and flat bottom cars. Let's have some close racing again.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 09:50 (Ref:1569915)   #8
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like your limit on fuel idea. they burn 250 litres during a GP at the moment or something crazy dont they ?

Id love to see teams told to race on 100 litres of petrol for a GP, or 250 litres of hydrogen
Old 4 Apr 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1569931)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They should allow diesel fuel in an F1 car.

If Audi can do it succesfully...
Old 4 Apr 2006, 10:33 (Ref:1569952)   #10
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 1 might be losing it after 2008. The proposed regulations will be introduced to improve the racing. But all kind of these measures just had the opposite effect.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1570107)   #11
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yea lets improve the racing by freeing up the teams as opposed to restricting them. much of the current state of no passing comes from rules eliminating downforce. the teams in an attempt to claw it back move towards more aerodynamically unstable modifications that get it back at the cost of the ability to follow. means leaving passes to pitstops.

I think eventually Max will leave and someone with a better head on their shoulders will come in. someone who is in it for racing and isn't just bernies puppet
Old 4 Apr 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1570109)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did you miss the overtaking on Sunday then?
Old 4 Apr 2006, 14:29 (Ref:1570538)   #13
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you painted all of the cars the same colour you would never know which was which.
Lets free up the regulations to allow different approaches to the same subject.
It would be nice to see variety in design so that, perhaps, each car might suit certain circuits/conditions and we see better racing and a less predictable championship.
Minimum weight, maximum fuel allowance. Get on with it!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1570544)   #14
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ooh, limiting fuel with no engine restrictions..... sounds like Group C!

And that provided some of the bestest and closest endurance racing ever!!!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 14:47 (Ref:1570558)   #15
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
I'm in favour of a massive deregulation. A ban on refueling and a maximum amount of fuel with abolition of all other engine regulations would be great. Just as the reintroduction of ground effect and slicks.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1570571)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if i was to design a f1 car surely one aspect of my design is that it would be impossible to pass!

these maufactures require restrictions (and the fuel one is an excellent idea by the way) and allowing them to operate without any rules is like saying athletes in "whatever sport they play" should be allowed to make up the rules as the go along.

concerning the future of F1- it must be said that in one respect Max is ahead of the curve because he knows its only a matter of time before the manufactures start to all pull out. with the 2 of worlds largest car manufactures about to go bust - its only a matter of time before the rest head in the same direction.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1570606)   #17
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Racing59, flat bottoms are a BAD idea. The GT1s had flat bottoms, and do you remember how many of those flipped? There was the Porsche 911 GT1 98 at Road Atlanta in 1998 or '99. Three Mercedes Benz CLRs flipped at Le Mans in 1999, and Webber I believe was behind the wheel for two of those. And I'm sure there are a few more that didn't get as much attention.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 10:58 (Ref:1571293)   #18
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
Racing59, flat bottoms are a BAD idea. The GT1s had flat bottoms, and do you remember how many of those flipped? There was the Porsche 911 GT1 98 at Road Atlanta in 1998 or '99. Three Mercedes Benz CLRs flipped at Le Mans in 1999, and Webber I believe was behind the wheel for two of those. And I'm sure there are a few more that didn't get as much attention.
Yeah, it would be better to have an underbody with grooves.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 11:26 (Ref:1571320)   #19
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Edit - wrong thread.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1571383)   #20
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble
If you painted all of the cars the same colour you would never know which was which.

What a crock - the current breed of cars are art forms and very unique. If you don't think you could pick a matt black McLaren from a matt black Renault then you need to visit your local optometrist.

Really, F1 fans are the most fickle bunch. We have 3 great races to start the season, 5 teams in with a reasonable chance but everyone wants to moan about something. 22 teams (44 cars) have lodged applications for 2008, some of which will be dreamers but others are the real deal. F1 will be just fine, the question is will YOU (royal you, not aimed at bauble) still be interested?
Old 5 Apr 2006, 14:44 (Ref:1571459)   #21
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Right, lookleft! So you think I need glasses? Too right mate. I could always tell a 250F Maserati from a Ferrari 500 or a BRM from a Vanwall, but that WAS a long time ago.
Ok! There are a few superficial differences between McL's and Runners but come on! They all have to fit inside the same FIA box don't they.
Very free regulations might produce a front engined car or one with the engine OVER the driver and with three wheels. Whacky Races? Yeah! (RIGHT out of LEFT field)
Anyway I challenge you (if it were possible) to pick out a matt black Red Bull froma matt black Sauber at the first corner of any Grand Prix.#
I just want variety in shape, and performance at different circuits. Make things more interesting. The current furore over Toro Rosso V10's proves that variety is the spice of life.

Kind regards to a fellow enthusiast.

Bobbull.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 16:05 (Ref:1571507)   #22
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What I want in F1's

Fastest cars possible... this is F1 not formula BMW...

Derestrictions on Engines (turbo'd 4 cyl. .. V10's, V8's, V12's.. even W16's if VW/Audio ever got on board)

Derestriction on aero's.

Slicks

19/20 races per season, with as many tracks alternating per year as possible.

The people with the most monet will always spend the most money... but they won't always win.. that is a proven fact.

If teams can't compete fcuk them.. if they can't afford it fcuk them.. I can't afford an Aston Martin.. but I don't expect them to put a 1300cc engine in it and make it out of tin, just so I can afford it....

If formula one dumbs down as much as it looks like it will.... it just won't be F1 anymore... nobody will respect it. Different series' offer different things.. F1 offers technology, glamour, money, speed and lots of pretty colours... or at least it should.
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1571707)   #23
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it will still b here..
if they cut ticket prices a lot more peple would go.
another problem is you see a lot more sitting at home than you do at race... They need to have big screens like at rock stadiums so u dont miss any of the action
Old 6 Apr 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1572143)   #24
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Right, lookleft! So you think I need glasses? Too right mate. I could always tell a 250F Maserati from a Ferrari 500 or a BRM from a Vanwall, but that WAS a long time ago.
A Vanwall?? That was a long time ago.

Quote:
Ok! There are a few superficial differences between McL's and Runners but come on! They all have to fit inside the same FIA box don't they.
Very free regulations might produce a front engined car or one with the engine OVER the driver and with three wheels. Whacky Races? Yeah! (RIGHT out of LEFT field)
Anyway I challenge you (if it were possible) to pick out a matt black Red Bull froma matt black Sauber at the first corner of any Grand Prix.#
I just want variety in shape, and performance at different circuits. Make things more interesting. The current furore over Toro Rosso V10's proves that variety is the spice of life.
They do have to fit into the same "box" for a good reason. I cast my mind back to the Nissan GTR touring car - it ALMOST killed touring car racing in one foul swoop - it was THAT good. All credit to Nissan for the work they did but very few "fans" were happy to watch the same car run away with all the silverware - some goes for F1. If there was an open book Toyota would come in and outspend everyone, win by a lap and go home happy. We would all be here saying "remember 2006, 5 teams in with a chance...". Personally I could go either way but a car winning by huge margins does not generate the interest required to fuel the sport.

I agree that the dumbing down of F1 goes against what it WAS but times change. It is still the series every driver wants to get into and the series with the "glamour". Can't see the changing no matter what the regulations. 80% of spectators are casual and probably don't even know what swept volume or CFD is but they are the one the marketing people want to see logos on the sides of the pretty cars. That is what F1, and any professional motorsport, is about.

I think I could pick the BMW out, now a Torro Rosso vs. a Red Bull might have me turing down the challenge

Quote:
Kind regards to a fellow enthusiast.
Likewise
Old 6 Apr 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1572245)   #25
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Did you miss the overtaking on Sunday then?
no but I believe a lot of that was artificially created by the safety car periods. (not intentionally but still artificial)

Look left I must disagree. F1 didn't seem to lose any fans (at least not on here) because Ferrari did well. Sometimes it helps to have what some people view as the darthteam.

I hate to make the comparison but it seems appropriate in the context of this discussio nto bring up NASCAR. NASCAR is not anything we F1 fans (for the most part) find all that interesting, yet it is an enormous success. The drivers and teams have personalities they aren't robots. The racings close and even if its contrived (restrictor plates) its alot more exciting to watch a race with 100 passes for the lead than 1 if you ask most people in the US (personally I disagree). NASCAR has entertainment which F1 seems to have lost in hospitality sweets closed paddocks and motor homes within arms reach of the garage door