Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 Feb 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3708351)   #1
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A Blast From The Past

From my archives; Perhaps someone can turn them up the right way, I can not seem to manage it.
I found these while Spring cleaning a few old files, maybe you might like to ID them?
Attached Thumbnails
Blast From the Past 001.jpg   Blast From the Past 002.jpg   Blast From the Past 004.jpg  

Blast From the Past 003.jpg  
Old 1 Feb 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3708369)   #2
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The third one is the '84 Tyrrell. Stefan Johansson did a few races for them. That's the year that the team got disqualified.

I don't think I'd win any prizes for saying the "Fly Saudia" is a Williams. Given the cheeky message perhaps its Alan Jones at a test session.

As for the rest of them.....go to blazes will ya.
Old 1 Feb 2017, 13:25 (Ref:3708370)   #3
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I've always thought that motorsport photography might be a sideline of yours Baud, the ange of your posting appears to confirm this!
Once I've managed to turn my monitor over I'll have a look and post in my answers.
Old 1 Feb 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3708398)   #4
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The third one is the '84 Tyrrell. Stefan Johansson did a few races for them. That's the year that the team got disqualified.

I don't think I'd win any prizes for saying the "Fly Saudia" is a Williams. Given the cheeky message perhaps its Alan Jones at a test session.

As for the rest of them.....go to blazes will ya.
Not bad Paradise, certainly the Swede, Brands Hatch 1984. You can read his name on the airbox.

Yes of course a Williams during a tyre test at Silverstone, but the helmet should give a clue as to who thought what of Frank.

The other two? You can just see the car from which the wheel had come off. A shunt that stopped the race.

The Metro? It was originally a colour shot and Castrol actually bought a copy for the Winner of the Saloon Car Championship of the day. One of my few successes as a photographer.

I did not pick the pictures out they just came to light when clearing out a few files.

If it helps I have only worked in the UK.

Well done,

Bauble.
Old 1 Feb 2017, 14:24 (Ref:3708399)   #5
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I've always thought that motorsport photography might be a sideline of yours Baud, the ange of your posting appears to confirm this!
Once I've managed to turn my monitor over I'll have a look and post in my answers.
Actually Viv all the pictures are the right way up, they were all having accidents.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3708952)   #6
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is the wheel from a West Zakspeed?
Old 3 Feb 2017, 16:01 (Ref:3709065)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
From my archives; Perhaps someone can turn them up the right way, I can not seem to manage it.
No option in here. I might try to save them back to my PC and turn them around ....... but in my own time!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 3 Feb 2017, 18:26 (Ref:3709111)   #8
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Metro is Roger Saunders' car from 1982. Looks like Brands.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 21:39 (Ref:3709160)   #9
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
No option in here. I might try to save them back to my PC and turn them around ....... but in my own time!
Just click through to a proper size and they come up with correct orientation - at least they do using Firefox browser.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 08:09 (Ref:3709298)   #10
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
That Metro is Roger Saunders' car from 1982. Looks like Brands.
Bottom Bend (is it still called that?) British GP support race Brands Hatch 1984.

If I recall correctly Roger won the Saloon Car Championship that year, and Castrol purchased a copy of my, colour, picture to present to him. I was particularly pleased with the shot as it was exactly what I was trying for.

The wheel is from one of the cars involved in an accident at Paddock Bend on the first lap in 1988, I am fairly certain it is from Laffite's Ligier, which might give you a clue at to the helmet picture.

The other picture is Stefan Johansson's Tyrell during qualifying for the 1984 Grand Prix, he was involve in a shunt at Paddock on lap 1.

Memories, memories.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 12:40 (Ref:3709354)   #11
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The wheel may be from the Laffitte Ligier but the car in the background No 29 is the Huub Rothengater Zakspeed 861, Laffittes car was no 26. I do not remember Rothengater in the 1st lap crash though. the other Zakspeed, no14 of Jonathan Palmer was.

Not sure you have this one right Bob. Perhaps some better informed tenthers can clear this one up.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 19:53 (Ref:3709563)   #12
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
The wheel may be from the Laffitte Ligier but the car in the background No 29 is the Huub Rothengater Zakspeed 861, Laffittes car was no 26. I do not remember Rothengater in the 1st lap crash though. the other Zakspeed, no14 of Jonathan Palmer was.

Not sure you have this one right Bob. Perhaps some better informed tenthers can clear this one up.
Now listen here young fella, don't question my memory, there were several cars abandoned at Paddock, and just because you can see a Zakspeed does not mean the wheel is from that.
However, as I said I only think it was from the Ligier, but it was a long time ago.

The cars involved were; Danner's Arrows and the Osellas of Ghinzani and Berg plus the Ligier. I was to bust dodging out of the way to get any action snaps, but the wheel caught my eye afterwards.

Now if I am completely wrong and it was in fact 1984 then the casualties of a first lap carambolange (?) were;

Cheever Alfa Romeo
Johansson Tyrell
Alliot Ram
Gartner Osella
Cecotto Toleman.

I'm sorry I started this.......
Old 4 Feb 2017, 23:14 (Ref:3709773)   #13
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
It can not be 84, there were no Zakspeeds or a no 29 then!!!!!
Old 5 Feb 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3710097)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Now listen here young fella, don't question my memory, there were several cars abandoned at Paddock, and just because you can see a Zakspeed does not mean the wheel is from that.
However, as I said I only think it was from the Ligier, but it was a long time ago.

The cars involved were; Danner's Arrows and the Osellas of Ghinzani and Berg plus the Ligier. I was to bust dodging out of the way to get any action snaps, but the wheel caught my eye afterwards.

Now if I am completely wrong and it was in fact 1984 then the casualties of a first lap carambolange (?) were;

Cheever Alfa Romeo
Johansson Tyrell
Alliot Ram
Gartner Osella
Cecotto Toleman.

I'm sorry I started this.......
Cecotto didn't start due to a crash in practice which ended his F1 career.

The first lap crash was caused by Patrese doing a 360 between Druids and Bottom Bend
Old 5 Feb 2017, 14:13 (Ref:3710127)   #15
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bottom Bend (is it still called that?) British GP support race Brands Hatch 1984.

If I recall correctly Roger won the Saloon Car Championship that year, and Castrol purchased a copy of my, colour, picture to present to him. I was particularly pleased with the shot as it was exactly what I was trying for.
Which Saloon Car Championship? Saunders definitely never won the BSCC title, neither in his class nor outright. He didn't race in 1984 either, and nor were there any Metros in either of the Brands Hatch races that year.

That picture is definitely his late-1982 livery (the car was red & yellow earlier in the season), so unless he kept the car in that livery and raced it in another series later, I fail to see how it could be any other year.

Old 5 Feb 2017, 15:46 (Ref:3710157)   #16
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
Which Saloon Car Championship? Saunders definitely never won the BSCC title, neither in his class nor outright. He didn't race in 1984 either, and nor were there any Metros in either of the Brands Hatch races that year.

That picture is definitely his late-1982 livery (the car was red & yellow earlier in the season), so unless he kept the car in that livery and raced it in another series later, I fail to see how it could be any other year.

I keep telling you blokes they just some odd pictures that surfaced from many years ago, and I am relying on a 30 plus year old memories. I take no responsibility for any deviation from the truth.

The only thing I can be fairly sure about is that they are all from British Grand Prix Meetings at Brands Hatch in 1982 and 1984.
Old 5 Feb 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3710173)   #17
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Sorry Baub, I'm not trying to hijack your thread here, but here below are six pictures I took of the F! crash at the top of Paddock Hill that I thought was at the start of the 1986 British Grand Prix.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crash 01.png
Views:	21
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	49093 Click image for larger version

Name:	Crash 02.png
Views:	21
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	49094 Click image for larger version

Name:	Crash 03.png
Views:	22
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	49095

Name:	Crash 04.png
Views:	20
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	49096 Click image for larger version

Name:	Crash 05.png
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	49097 Click image for larger version

Name:	Crash 06.png
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	49098
Apologies for posting them the right way up but for you to see them normally Bob, just tilt your head to one side (if you're that way inclined...)
Are these helping to clear, or further muddy the waters?
Old 5 Feb 2017, 18:06 (Ref:3710179)   #18
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
So it was 86 and both Zakspeeds were involved. I just dont remember Rothengatter being involved but the picture clearly shows he was.
Old 5 Feb 2017, 18:12 (Ref:3710180)   #19
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
So it was 86 and both Zakspeeds were involved. I just dont remember Rothengatter being involved but the picture clearly shows he was.
Actually, I don't think he was 'involved' as such, he just happened to be there at the time as it all went on around him, and he stopped before hitting anything/one!
I also think it's great to see (Doctor) Jonathon Palmer out of his Zakspeed and attending to Jaques Lafitte in his car...

Last edited by VIVA GT; 5 Feb 2017 at 18:15. Reason: Spelllllling!
Old 6 Feb 2017, 00:14 (Ref:3710293)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Actually, I don't think he was 'involved' as such, he just happened to be there at the time as it all went on around him, and he stopped before hitting anything/one!
I also think it's great to see (Doctor) Jonathon Palmer out of his Zakspeed and attending to Jaques Lafitte in his car...

Yes it's mentioned on the review video about the doctor running over to Laffite
Old 9 Feb 2017, 11:56 (Ref:3711196)   #21
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
In 82, 84, and 86 they had accidents at paddock on the first lap, all involving several cars, so it no surprise to find we get confused. Lafitte was only involved in 86 therefore my wheel, assuming my recall is sound must be from that year.
Rothengatter retired on lap 24 so was not involved in the shunt, but may well have been delayed as he started from the back row of the grid.

Palmer started behind Lafitte so was probably amongst those delayed, and thus on hand to render his assistance.

Note; Unless the moderators take swift, decisive, and punitive measures to put a stop to snide remarks from MR Clever Dick GT. I may have to reconsider my position on this forum.
Then where would you be?
Old 9 Feb 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3711198)   #22
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Sorry Baub, I'm not trying to hijack your thread here, but here below are six pictures I took of the F! crash at the top of Paddock Hill that I thought was at the start of the 1986 British Grand Prix.
Attachment 49093 Attachment 49094 Attachment 49095
Attachment 49096 Attachment 49097 Attachment 49098
Apologies for posting them the right way up but for you to see them normally Bob, just tilt your head to one side (if you're that way inclined...)
Are these helping to clear, or further muddy the waters?
Viv if only you had tilted your Box Brownie around a little to your left, you would have certainly captured a young(er) Bauble on the inside of the circuit close to the marshal's post.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 12:51 (Ref:3711209)   #23
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Viv if only you had tilted your Box Brownie around a little to your left, you would have certainly captured a young(er) Bauble on the inside of the circuit close to the marshal's post.
This may explain why, when panning the passing traffic following the re-start, my telephoto lens suddenly developed a crack!
I will post more pictures of the scene so you can check to see if you're visible on any on them.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 13:12 (Ref:3711213)   #24
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I will post more pictures of the scene so you can check to see if you're visible on any on them.
Viva, are you looking for a silhouette with a tilted head …
Sorry, already out now !
Bonjour, Bob, vous êtes en grande forme. Amicalement.
Old 11 Feb 2017, 15:21 (Ref:3711547)   #25
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
As promised (threatened?) here are some more of my pictures of the incident so we can all play "Where's Wally/Baub?"

Name:	Crash 07.png
Views:	8
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	49129 Click image for larger version

Name:	Crash 08.png
Views:	8
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	49130

Then, a Ligier caught fire...

Name:	Ligier Fire01.png