Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Mar 2004, 22:39 (Ref:894067)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Designations

One for us pedants to chew over: to what extent should engine manufacturers be credited when describing GTS cars? Is is a Lister Storm or a Lister-Jaguar Storm? A Saleen S7-R, or a Saleen-Ford S7-R? How does one draw the line? After all, a Dallara-Judd LMP will always be that. The fact that the Lister or Saleen chassis can't be bought off the shelf without an engine shouldn't make a difference. Or should it?
Old 4 Mar 2004, 23:23 (Ref:894135)   #2
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Excellant questuon. I am going to wait until I see how this pans out before I give an opinion.
Bob
Old 4 Mar 2004, 23:39 (Ref:894153)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Riebe
Excellant questuon. I am going to wait until I see how this pans out before I give an opinion.
Bob
Wuz
Old 4 Mar 2004, 23:41 (Ref:894158)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Well what do you think, Badger?
Old 5 Mar 2004, 00:14 (Ref:894200)   #5
Mopar
Racer

Mopar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the way i see it, lister and saleen do not race with stock jaguar and ford engines respectivly, both manufacturers modify these engines to suit their purpose therefore the engine encompasses the whole car and therefore should not be added to the cars title. You could also argue that the chassis cant be purchases with the idea of instaling a new engine in it a la LMPs. off topic, considering the engines used in the lister are ex Jaguar group C engines, did TWR do any further developement to the engines before they went bust? Lawrence Pearce has talked in the past about "new engines" for the lister but surely both the Car and the engine are close to the end of their development? (P.S hope they arent as i love them!!!)
Old 5 Mar 2004, 01:07 (Ref:894269)   #6
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
The way I see it is if I drop an Elan power unit into my Dallara it will then be a Dallara Elan ..... I think that if an engine Manufacturer makes a financial comitment to the program it has the right to be named . I would also think that if I do a deal with Judd or Elan it would be in the contract to have the name on the car . That Doran Dallara was also a Dallara MG at one stage and later a GV5 Judd !!!

Ford did not make a comitment to the Saleen , this was done off their own backs and thats it for me . Why should an engine manufacturer bask in glory for something that they didnt do ?
I reckon that if I didnt want Judd logo on my car , the deal would be more expensive too .

Are the Lister engines , still the ex-TWR XJR engines ?

So you decide to drop a Nissan engine into a Spyker off your own back for example , and homologate it too , and pay it all out of your own pocket . Do Nissan deserve the right to be named for free ?

Last edited by The Badger; 5 Mar 2004 at 01:09.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 01:12 (Ref:894276)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lister develop there own engines. Only the original Lister Storm engines were ex-TWR.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 01:13 (Ref:894279)   #8
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see it as this, unlike the protos where the same chassis can be had with different packages of powerplant, in most GTS car you can't. You can't get a Saleen with a C5-R V8, nor can you get a Lister with a Ferrari V12. Which means they just come with whatever they came with in "production" trim. And therefore there is no point of stressing what engine it is using.....and like its said before, Saleen or Lister aren't exactly using something that's off the shelf Ford or Jaguar, so it wouldn't be fair to them if they were to be badged as either...