Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Nov 2008, 13:31 (Ref:2344221)   #51
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Better circuit than Monaco but not the magic although Monte Carlo itself is a bit of an overbuilt dump.Its better than Dubai!
Old 30 Nov 2008, 15:44 (Ref:2344273)   #52
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isn't Dubai the refuge of those who can't afford Monaco?
Old 1 Dec 2008, 12:57 (Ref:2344887)   #53
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I thought it was West SUssex?
Old 1 Dec 2008, 13:17 (Ref:2344902)   #54
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Seems people are moving from Monaco to UAE.One of the well known historic gentlemen is on his way.I suspect it will be a case of act in haste and repent at leisure.Some of the Monaco mob are concerned about the US government attacking offshore havens such as IOM,Channel Islands,Monaco .....This will lead to most Western governments attacking any revenue giving areas as most are broke
Old 1 Dec 2008, 18:50 (Ref:2345118)   #55
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Enrico Spaggiari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Horsman
Well, I don't know about E1100; my entry form says E1600 (E1850 after 15 Jan 09) for the sports car enduro and the pre-66 GP cars races. One hour race time, admittedly. And E1300 (E1550 after 15 Jan) for Formula Junior.
Hi Peter,
Do you know if there is a race just for pre-66 GP cars, or also a grid for pre-61 ?
What is included in the 1.600 Euros fee?
Thank you.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 20:15 (Ref:2345173)   #56
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The web site is

info@grandprixdepauhistorique.com

Thatv will tell you all info.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2345208)   #57
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
The web site is

info@grandprixdepauhistorique.com

Thatv will tell you all info.
You must excuse my elderly friend. That was something called an Email address. Not a website.

The website is http://www.grandprixdepauhistorique.com

Last edited by rogerwills; 1 Dec 2008 at 21:22.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2345211)   #58
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Is there a difference?Old age boys!
Old 1 Dec 2008, 22:50 (Ref:2345261)   #59
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Enrico Spaggiari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
You must excuse my elderly friend. That was something called an Email address. Not a website.

The website is http://www.grandprixdepauhistorique.com
Thank you very much, John and Roger .
That was what I needed.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2446452)   #60
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this is an old thread but I'm considering applying for the Regularity run at Pau Historique GP, which is not terribly expensive @ €300 entry. Fees start adding up if one partakes in Official Dinner and/or Driver's Lounge which would be probably unnecessary for me and the lady as we're just interested in the Regularity and can eat/drink in the nice surroundings... Anyone have any comments/advice/yeas or nays concerning the Regularity for a newbie? Mr. Ruston, you seem to be knowledgable about this, are you out there?
Old 24 Apr 2009, 07:47 (Ref:2448395)   #61
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are the grids like? I ask because of the (arguably) high entry fees and competitors having had the ability to 'do' Pau at happier rates in recent years, unlike the LMC. The fees put me off entry, which is a shame because it's a great experience.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 07:08 (Ref:2450410)   #62
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

They are still pushing for entries and I understand the FJ grid is low and some other races have been amalgamated.Assume the Regularity is normal Patrick Peter and pretty straightforward.You would have a good time
Old 27 Apr 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2450415)   #63
Peter Horsman
Racer

I wonder whether it will ever revert to good ol' fashioned clubbie historic racing now the Mayor has passed away and PP has tried to LMC-ise it (especially if it's unsuccessful and he does not want to hire the cicuit next year?
Old 27 Apr 2009, 08:07 (Ref:2450448)   #64
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly Peter I dont think it will... the dinner and general ambiance was the charm of a meeting that was - let's face it - a very expensive weekend. I gather that the Angolume (?) meeting is a comparable in terms of atmosphere....
Old 27 Apr 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2450575)   #65
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My view on Pau is that it doesnt stand out enough above the alternative historic events in europe that we can go to, to go the extra distance and spend the significantly higher amount of money to get there.

I thought it was great venue when I went for the one and only time in 03 but didnt think the circuit was mind blowing and I didnt come away thinking I must go back the next year. I would much prefer to race at Spa, Dijon, Nurburgring or Monza all of which would also be considerably cheaper and closer (with the exception of Monza).

The hike in entry fees, the exchange rate and economic climate will finish it off unless they go back to sensible prices. I think it was £300 in 03, last time I looked it was £800 for this year. Granted you get all the hopspitality with the higher price tag but big deal, its in the middle of a city with hundreds of bars, restuarants, night clubs, hotels, pretty french students......
Old 27 Apr 2009, 11:18 (Ref:2450580)   #66
Peter Horsman
Racer

E1300 to E1850 rings a bell with me!!

It's all so sad, because, like Simon (and I suspect James) the after-racing ambience in the squares made the long haul worthwhile. I don't want driver hospitality with fingerprint entry - I want to amble around the squares being bought (and, occasionally buying) drinks and meals with mates.

That's progress. Maybe.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 15:20 (Ref:2450763)   #67
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Horsman View Post
E1300 to E1850 rings a bell with me!!

It's all so sad, because, like Simon (and I suspect James) the after-racing ambiance in the squares made the long haul worthwhile. I don't want driver hospitality with fingerprint entry - I want to amble around the squares being bought (and, occasionally buying) drinks and meals with mates.

That's progress. Maybe.
Crikee Horsman buying the beers.Trip to Pau must be worthwhile just for that.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 18:04 (Ref:2450897)   #68
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'd rather see the return of Chimay . . . . .
Old 27 Apr 2009, 22:30 (Ref:2451117)   #69
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed!!

Isn't this on the cards now, seeing as the two Belgian racing clubs have finished their spat?

Mind you, a very good friend swears he will never race at Chimay again, as after 3 visits to the place, he reckons his circuit luck there must be due run out soon. There isn't much in the way of safety features, is there? (personally, having only been there twice, I must have at least one more 'accident-free' meeting there, surely?

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I'd rather see the return of Chimay . . . . .
Old 28 Apr 2009, 06:44 (Ref:2451282)   #70
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Went through Chimey last week on Tour and works going on clearing area around control tower.No idea what they were doing but seemed to be road works of some sort.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2451374)   #71
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
hmm, interesting, is there potential for a return to proper racing there then . . . . . . I've only been the once, the planned 3 hour race the following year got cancelled, we had a great race, and in pouring rain for a lot of it, 6th overall also represented one of my best ever finishes, one of the great thingas about it is V8's don't fit/work or crash early and go home broken etc . . . . I think the biggest car the year we did it was Jims Westminster. the only potentially dangerous bit I thought was the most exciting bit, the narrow armco road section through the trees, flat out (after a few reccy bottle growing laps) and a blind kink/brow from memory

I'd have thought ( swiftly moving back on topic) Pau was as, if not more, dangerous ?
Old 28 Apr 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2451415)   #72
James Murray
Racer

Did they run single seaters at the historic meetings there a few years ago or is it unsuitable? Would love to have a go there in the formula junior. I wonder whether juniors raced there in period.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 09:43 (Ref:2451417)   #73
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
it was tin tops, GT/sports and a free for all beer trophy type thing, I don't recall any single seaters

just the right kind of relaxed, enjoyable no pretentious w****rs racing weekend we like, and need more of.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2451423)   #74
James Murray
Racer

According to F2register Juniors did run there back in the day, so one lives in hope!!
Old 28 Apr 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2451515)   #75
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
thats would be great, you might need to jack the car up a few inches it was a bit bumpy in places where you change roads, and stay well away from the Kerbs