Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Mar 2009, 07:31 (Ref:2420716)   #1
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave Cook Racing Services

Does anybody know anything about them and do they still exist? I know that thy were based N of York but Googlle doesn't reveal much.

I believe they may have built some Super Tourers in the early 1990s, including Vauxhall Cavaliers shells about 1991.

I have just bought a Toyota Carina built be them and the cage is awesome and would like to find out more about them and the car.

Thanks
Old 21 Mar 2009, 09:43 (Ref:2420800)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Listed at:

http://www.autosport-atlas.com/dir_b...name=BODY+SHE#
Old 21 Mar 2009, 10:06 (Ref:2420812)   #3
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks. I tried the number in the link but got the Town Council!
Old 21 Mar 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2420849)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I spoke to Dave Cook about 5 years ago but unfortunately lost his contacts!

That Atlas link is very old by the way Dave!!

A few members know him I think, and i've also been hoping we might tempt him on to help us out with the CC and Capri threads, but no joy yet!!

Andy someone will provide further help with how to get hold of him for you i'm sure.

In the meantime you might want to check out these threads for some background info about Dave Cook/DCRS/CC Developments activities:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112579

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79287

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109567

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65100
Old 22 Mar 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2421834)   #5
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Chunterer, many thanks. It would be great if Dave Cook would let us fill in the details on some of the cars he has built. Mine, albeit 16 years old, is still in excellent condition and a fine testament to the original build workmanship; its almost too nice to race!
Old 22 Mar 2009, 16:11 (Ref:2422075)   #6
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
DCRS did quite a bit of touring car work for Vauxhall, including building and running the original BTCC Astra GTE's in 1989, and the early Cavaliers up to RML taking over the programme in 1994 or so. After the split with Vauxhall, they did come back to the BTCC briefly in 1997 to run a BMW 318i for Scottish privateer Colin Gallie
http://www.stillphotography.co.uk/ga...thruxton_w.jpg This wasn't a DCRS-built car though- AFAIK it was sourced from Germany?

I think the Vauxhall Carlton Thundersaloon was a DCRS job as well?

I hadn't realised they'd been involved with any of the Carinas though- Which car do you have?
Old 22 Mar 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2422153)   #7
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
I hadn't realised they'd been involved with any of the Carinas though- Which car do you have?
Its a car that I have been told was built for a team in New Zealand (!) about 1993 and word of mouth suggests that it is supposed to have been run in the World Touring Car Cup in 1994 by the Toyota Team Castrol for either Julian Bailey or Will Hoy. Difficult to prove and I cannot show that it was an early Super Tourer but some of the spare panels do have Toyota Team Castrol logos. I can't find a chassis number but the fuel tank has a label on it saying that the tank was built for DCRS.

If it was an early Super Tourer, the ST engine & gearbox were taken out at some point & the rolling chassis was downgraded to National Saloon Car Spec (15in wheels etc) for a Dave Pitcher & later, Barry Barnes. I have paperwork for this period. After the end of the National Saloon Car Cup Barry Barnes ran the car in various DMN/ SEMSEC/ BARC-SEC events.

Whatever it was built as, its clearly NOT an ST now but the shell is a very impressive piece of work for the early 90s and could have been built to the ST standard of the time.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 05:03 (Ref:2422431)   #8
nzduck
Rookie

nzduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy

I think that your car was one of two built for our Schedule S Touring Car Class in the early to mid nineties. The team was owned by Bruce Miles and had Castrol support. As I recall there was a great amount of controversy on some technical aspects of the cars. The drivers were Julian Bailey and Greg Brinck from memory. Schedule S was below Super Touring in specification and was our national touring car class from the 1993 till 2002 when the NZV8 class took over this role. The cars were Castrol sponsored and a number of other Corona's (as the Carina was known here) were built by private entrants. From looking at other notes I have it would appear they may have appeared here in 1995 so maybe your car is not one as described above. We also saw Corona Super Tourers here in the early nineties for the Wellington Street Race which was a round of the FIA Asia Pacific Touring Car series. I think I remember these being Castrol sponsored.

Here are a few links of pictures of similar cars racing later on

http://www.nztouringcars.co.nz/Photo...e10110111.html
Old 23 Mar 2009, 09:00 (Ref:2422524)   #9
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzduck View Post
Andy

I think that your car was one of two built for our Schedule S Touring Car Class in the early to mid nineties. The team was owned by Bruce Miles and had Castrol support. As I recall there was a great amount of controversy on some technical aspects of the cars. The drivers were Julian Bailey and Greg Brinck from memory. Schedule S was below Super Touring in specification and was our national touring car class from the 1993 till 2002 when the NZV8 class took over this role. The cars were Castrol sponsored and a number of other Corona's (as the Carina was known here) were built by private entrants. From looking at other notes I have it would appear they may have appeared here in 1995 so maybe your car is not one as described above. We also saw Corona Super Tourers here in the early nineties for the Wellington Street Race which was a round of the FIA Asia Pacific Touring Car series. I think I remember these being Castrol sponsored.

Here are a few links of pictures of similar cars racing later on

http://www.nztouringcars.co.nz/Photo...e10110111.html
This is excellent info, many thanks, & I suspect that Schedule S is a more likely history of the car rather than it being downgraded from an ST. I would have expected Bailey and Hoy to have used their Tom's built cars in any World Cup races anyway. This one is definately a DCRS car but does have Toyota Team Castrol liveried panels amongst the spares so maybe its one of the cars featured in the gallery. If you have any more info about "Schedule S", I'd be very grateful, Thanks again, Andy
Old 23 Mar 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2422832)   #10
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
This is excellent info, many thanks, & I suspect that Schedule S is a more likely history of the car rather than it being downgraded from an ST. I would have expected Bailey and Hoy to have used their Tom's built cars in any World Cup races anyway. This one is definately a DCRS car but does have Toyota Team Castrol liveried panels amongst the spares so maybe its one of the cars featured in the gallery. If you have any more info about "Schedule S", I'd be very grateful, Thanks again, Andy
As you said that seems like a more probable origin than an ST car used at the '94 World Cup being downgraded to a Production car for the NSCC.

Apart from the TOM'S cars run in Securicor Omega (1993) and Castol (1994) colours, the other UK-based ST Carinas were the Park Lane pair from 1993- I've got a vague feeling one, if not both of these may have ended up in Australia or NZ?
http://www.stillphotography.co.uk/ga..._pembrey_w.jpg
Old 26 Mar 2009, 18:45 (Ref:2425454)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Well I haven't found Dave Cook yet but the NZ trail from info given by NZDuck, above, led me to Google for some more specific info and I managed to get in touch with Bruce Miles (former Toyota Team Castrol owner), Greg Brinck (one of the two Toyota works drivers) and Jason Hobbes (the No1 Mechanic), all of whom replied very helpfully to my e-mail enquiries. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing? Anyway, it seems that Dave Cook supervised the build of the Toyota Carinas, along with Cambell Little (ex Stone Brothers Racing), in NZ for the NZ "Schedule S" series (similar to Group N, I think) and it also seems 99% certain that I have the ex Julian Bailey car from 1995! 4th in the series that year whilst Greg Brinck finished second in the sister car.

The shells were delivered direct from the factory so were not converted road cars and DCRS used their UK Touring Car knowledge to design and builds the shells to the best spec possible.

Bruce Miles sold the car to Dave Pitcher to run in the UK National Saoon Car Cup, hence the reason why the car is now in the UK.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2441691)   #12
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
DCRS did quite a bit of touring car work for Vauxhall, including building and running the original BTCC Astra GTE's in 1989, and the early Cavaliers up to RML taking over the programme in 1994 or so. After the split with Vauxhall, they did come back to the BTCC briefly in 1997 to run a BMW 318i for Scottish privateer Colin Gallie
http://www.stillphotography.co.uk/ga...thruxton_w.jpg This wasn't a DCRS-built car though- AFAIK it was sourced from Germany?

I think the Vauxhall Carlton Thundersaloon was a DCRS job as well?

DCRS obviously did some ST work on Carinas, see this link: http://www.supertouringregister.com/...ehicle/157.php
Old 15 Apr 2009, 19:51 (Ref:2441696)   #13
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
The differences between Super Tourers and NZ Schedule S are explained in this article, written when the NZ Schedule S cars were invited to add to the grid (make up the numbers??) at Bathurst in 1998. Its clear to me that the Schedule S promoter, Tony Bunyan, was hoping that an international series could be developed around NZ Schedule S/ Euro Group N+ cars which he saw as comparable:

The following has been copied from the web: http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...148&FS=TOURING

Debut of Schedule S at Bathurst.

[/I]What are the main differences between a Super Tourer and a New Zealand Schedule S car?

When the New Zealand Schedule S Cars make their first appearance at Mt Panorama, Bathurst they are expected to be 15 - 20 seconds a lap slower than their Super Touring cousins. That is despite the cars having comparable engine capacities. Why ?

The Super Touring Class has evolved into one if the most sophisticated and technically advanced branches of Motorsport. Many of the major European Teams are subsidiaries of Formula One Companies and they bring to the Class many of Formula One's technical innovations. Consequently the cost of building and campaigning a Super Tourer is enormous and although there is little information on budgets, estimates range from five to ten million pounds sterling for factory teams in the British Touring Car Championship. Though Super Tourer regulations are strict, there are few parts of the car that can not be modified by Super Tourer Constructors to enhance performance.

New Zealand Schedule S cars on the other hand are disadvantaged by the regulations that govern them. Constructors are very limited in the number of changes they are allowed to make to improve performance. They do have one major advantage. The cost of building and campaigning them is considerably less than Super Touring and consequently competition between factory and private teams is a lot closer. It is for this reason that there is a groundswell of support for a new Touring Car Schedule based in part on New Zealand's Schedule S regulations and Europe's Schedule N Plus (a modified version of the underpowered Schedule N Class). If agreement can be reached we may be able to look forward to an exciting and truly international touring car class.

1. Engine
Super Tourer Considerable modification allowed, but limited to 8500 rpm [300 - 320 bhp?]
Schedule S Production engine with a set compression ratio 10:1 and prescribed maximum valve lift. There are few other allowances [200-220 bhp?]
2. Transmission
Super Tourer Sequential gearbox allowed. Gearbox ratios can be altered.
Schedule S Standard production gearbox with a dispensation for front wheel drive cars only to have one change of ratio.
3. Differential
Super Tourer Considerable freedom in the design and selection of differential ratios.
Schedule S Standard production with limited slip. Three ratios allowed.
4. Body
Super Tourer Aerodynamic assistance using wings and body kits allowed. Additional used of roll cage bars are allowed.
Schedule S No use of wings and although the roll cage is similar to the Super Tourer, changes from the basic design are limited.
5. Wheels
Super Tourer 18 - 19 inch
Schedule S 16 inch maximum
6. Brakes
Super Tourer Essentially free to decide on design (e.g. size, number of callipers etc)
Schedule S Restrictions on the number of callipers used [I]

Interestingly NZ subsequentley went down the Supercar V8 route and the rest of the world standardised on Super 2000 Touring Cars rather than continuing with the Super Tourers or going down the Group N+ route.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 22:35 (Ref:2441802)   #14
KA
Veteran

Quote:
DCRS obviously did some ST work on Carinas, see this link: http://www.supertouringregister.com/...ehicle/157.php
I'd completely forgotten about the South African Camrys! As the register says, they were originally built (and run?) by DCRS for Toyota South Africa- I think they built at least two or three of these, they originally ran in Castrol and Minolta colours

From memory, these weren't the only project DCRS did for South Africa-I think they also built at least a couple of ST Astras for Opel SA around 1993/4-ish
Old 27 Apr 2009, 17:29 (Ref:2450871)   #15
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't remember South Africa, but MSD built the Astra saloons for Ni Amorim in Portugal I'm sure. They were also the Vauxhall rally team around then, so it would make sense.

Old 23 Oct 2009, 20:23 (Ref:2568263)   #16
Verv
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Verv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Andy, You are completely correct about the Corona you now seem to own. I managed the team that built these two chassis for Toyota New Zealand. The team was called Team Tasman. Dave Cook designed the cars and built some of the components in the UK. He and one of his mechanics, I think his name was Graham Green, flew to NZ to help run them. I dealt with Barry Barnes as I did want to buy the car. I am trying to get a photo of one of the cars from '95/96 for a web site. Can you help? Email me if I can help with anything else.
Cheers,
David Vervaart.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 07:52 (Ref:2568475)   #17
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verv View Post
Hi Andy, You are completely correct about the Corona you now seem to own. I managed the team that built these two chassis for Toyota New Zealand. The team was called Team Tasman. Dave Cook designed the cars and built some of the components in the UK. He and one of his mechanics, I think his name was Graham Green, flew to NZ to help run them. I dealt with Barry Barnes as I did want to buy the car. I am trying to get a photo of one of the cars from '95/96 for a web site. Can you help? Email me if I can help with anything else.
Cheers,
David Vervaart.
Hi David, Thanks for the post.

I have been in touch with Bruce Miles (Team Owner), Jason Hobbs (mechanic) and Greg Brinck (Driver of sister car) and they are all convinced that the car is one of the Toyota Castrol Team "works" cars driven by Julian Bailey. Jason has identified specific things on the cage that were unique. I don't have any photos of the cars early career, indeed I would love to find some myself, particularly in Castrol livery as I might try to recreate that.

The earliest photo I have seen is the one on Post #5 of this thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=carina and thats a picture from when the car ran in the UKs National Saloon Car Cup in 1997.

If you have any details of the cars results or background then I'd be grateful if you would share them with me. I understand that some magazine article were done in NZ when the cars were first built but I have not been able to find out any more.

I must admit that I love the car. It drives fantastically well and feels like a "proper" race car! Its a far quicker car than I can drive it!

I tried to get Julian Bailey interested in a test drive of the car for a magazine article but it appears he has not been well according to a recent article in "Motorsport" magazine in the UK.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2568476)   #18
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He had a stroke but is ok now. (According to his Mother)
Old 24 Oct 2009, 07:57 (Ref:2568478)   #19
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:

I have also found a Toyota Camry from the South African Touring Car series for sale here: http://www.touringcartrophy.com/occasions.htm
Scroll about 3/4 the way down to see a yellow Camry for sale. Not sure if its a DCRS car, though. I believe that South Africa had to divisions in its Touring Car Seroies, A for pukka Super Tourers and B for cars in a slightly lower spec - 15 or 16 inch wheels, H pattern gear boxes etc. The yellow car in the advert sems to be a Class B car. I would love to get hold of that spare engine and Gemini gearbox!
Old 17 Dec 2009, 05:55 (Ref:2601143)   #20
Verv
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Verv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Andy, Mark Baker did the PR for the team in NZ. He may be able to help with some more info. He also did a poster which is hanging on my wall for the team. He may have the artwork from this that will give you some images. his details are
Mark Baker
Director
Veritas Communications Limited
12 Kale Place
Papakura
Telephone 09 2968636/Mobile 021 2120607
mark baker [mark.baker@ihug.co.nz]

Hope this helps. Remember if you want to sell the car please contact me first.

Cheers, David Vervaart.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 08:20 (Ref:2601183)   #21
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
David

Many thanks for the information, I'll get in touch with Mark. I managed to get a small piece in Autosport Magazine after I debuted the car at Silverstone earlier this year. Have a look here, on the RHS of the page, entitled "Toyota Tourer Back on Track": http://www.classicsportscarclub.co.u...mans_Smith.pdf

Do you have any info on the cars original engine and gearbox specification? The car has a rebuilt 3S-GE engine in it on Motec engine management and Throttle Bodies and gives 210 Bhp on standard cams (as mandated by the National Saloon Car Cup regs in the UK). It has a standard gearbox from a Carina/ Corona Gti. I know that the South African Camrys had a Gemini close ratio dog box & engines of about 270 Bhp (CR of about 13:1) but Gemini are out of business & performance upgrades for the engine will have to wait a while!

Andy
Old 17 Dec 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2601228)   #22
KA
Veteran

Quote:
I have also found a Toyota Camry from the South African Touring Car series for sale here: http://www.touringcartrophy.com/occasions.htm
Scroll about 3/4 the way down to see a yellow Camry for sale. Not sure if its a DCRS car, though. I believe that South Africa had to divisions in its Touring Car Seroies, A for pukka Super Tourers and B for cars in a slightly lower spec - 15 or 16 inch wheels, H pattern gear boxes etc. The yellow car in the advert sems to be a Class B car. I would love to get hold of that spare engine and Gemini gearbox!
I don't know the South African regs, but recall there was definitely a Class B for lower-spec cars (Got a vague memory that highlights used to turn up on Eurosport or similar from time to time) The yellow Camry definitely looks like a Class B job
http://www.touringcartrophy.com/anci...ota_camry3.jpg

Toyota South Africa did have a pair (at least) of 'full-on' Supertouring Camrys though- the car you mentioned a while back,
http://www.supertouringregister.com/...ehicle/157.php
and they were definitely DCRS. Think the other car usually carried 'Castrol' colours similar to the 1994-season TOM'S BTCC Carinas at one point

Last edited by KA; 17 Dec 2009 at 10:09.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 08:25 (Ref:2601772)   #23
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
The Yellow Camry has just been sold and was definately a SA Class B car, but it wasn't one of the ones built by DCRS. I spoke to the owner, as I was hoping to have some of the spares. The SA Class B cars had several common components to save money, eg they all had a Gemini CR 5 Speed H pattern 'box but they don't seem to be available easily any more - Gemini was taken over by Riccardo.

Back to my car, details are emerging all the time as people get in touch with me - Mark Baker tell me that my Carina originally had a twin caliper set up (described as a Dave Cook signature of the time & a source of much wrangling with BMW, who didn't like it!) but this has been replaced by a conventional AP brake set up, presumably for the National Saloon Car Cup. Shame.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 11:49 (Ref:2630538)   #24
e21jason
Rookie

Northern Ireland
Dubai
e21jason should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Just bought a car of Dave Cook he still around but the company is wound down

Jason
Old 10 Feb 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2630545)   #25
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Do you have any contact details? I'd be grateful for a PM.

Tags
btcc, dave cook, ford capri, group 1, group a, pete clark, thundersaloon, vauxhall