Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Mar 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2428735)   #26
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't the main reason why the AGP isn't in the championship to do with TV rights? Work that one out and it'd be on like donkey kong
Old 30 Mar 2009, 08:21 (Ref:2428762)   #27
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
How did the fag like that?
be nice.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2428768)   #28
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much did this circus cost the tax payers?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2428794)   #29
TS-Fitty
Rookie

TS-Fitty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
The actions of the GRM team at the Grand Prix were possibly the most disgraceful I have seen in over 40 years of following the sport.
Mate, I think you've gone a bit overboard with that statement. That would be like me stating that your comment is one of the most dramatised posts I have read in over 40 years. I know it's not but it is up there.
GRM was well within their rights to do what they did and I wouldn't be surprised if he gave his sponsors more air time by doing so, than running mid field. I'm sure that team owners reminded their drivers more than once pre-race that this was a non championship round and that car preservation was more important than finishing position. This is more relevant to the lower budget teams and bearing in mind that GRM already had one expensive repair on hand they could ill afford, they weren't willing to risk another. They, like other teams want this to be a Championship round and until it is, the results can only be taken in jest.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 09:22 (Ref:2428808)   #30
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The actions of the GRM team at the Grand Prix were possibly the most disgraceful I have seen in over 40 years of following the sport.Basically the team didn't race all weekend.During races they removed themselves from competition by making pit stops without reason,starting from pit lane or just slowing down until they were well behind the rest of the field and then cruising around in formation.These teams were paid a lot of money to race at this meeting and for a team to treat the spectators and organisers with such disdainful contempt beggers belief.Imagine if all the other teams used their track time as a literal test session and made no attempt to race it would turn the event into a farce.I hope that V8 Supercars at least fines GRM their share of the GP appearance fee ($50,000?) and then doubles it to ensure this never happens again.The team also deserves the karma of a bunch of bad results immediately to pay them back for what they did at the weekend.
If you feel that strongly about it why not email the Team/Gary and express your concerns...

click here

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 10:07 (Ref:2428846)   #31
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and before Indy became a Championship race the exact same thing use to happen there also.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2428879)   #32
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's see - turn up, run around and make an appearance - stay out of trouble, get a bit of testing in - the cars are on the track..

Or - whats the 'agrravated fee' or whatever they call it these days for not turning up?

This way he doesn't get fined, complies with their contract (I'm sure he has had it checked to see whether he has to 'turn up' or 'race'), and has no repair bills like others have.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 12:03 (Ref:2428930)   #33
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they could have let others use there numbers like supercheap did with jack perkins 3 years ago
Old 30 Mar 2009, 13:15 (Ref:2428983)   #34
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some damage control here

Rogers said despite the event being a non-Championship round, his team was still happy to attend last weekend and that it took the event seriously despite his team’s cars appearing to be seriously off the pace.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2429292)   #35
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Wood View Post
So when Bathurst wasn't a part of the championship, it was a waste of time?

This is one strange thread...
- did it bore you?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2429326)   #36
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana View Post
The GP will never be part of the championship for all the reasons discussed ad nauseum for years. No pits, clashing TV rights, Bernie you name it, it won't happen. I'd be happier if they didn't go at all rather than this contrived Manufacturer Challenge crap.
That would be my vote as well.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 21:22 (Ref:2429330)   #37
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mine as well.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 23:05 (Ref:2429405)   #38
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Holly Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
- did it bore you?
Did it bore me? No.

But you’ve blatantly stated (in two posts) that any racing that’s not ‘good for [your] points run’ is a ‘waste of time’, so I’m interested to know if you used to think Bathurst was ‘a waste of time’ before it became a part of the championship?

Sorry to single you out, but this obsession so many have with points these days is just ridiculous. What ever happened to getting a bunch of race cars together, and having people drive the wheels off them to try and win a motor race? If the concept of that bores you, then you really should find another sport.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 23:10 (Ref:2429409)   #39
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
I take it Alan52 you don't pay the bills at home or anywhere else?? Because if you did you might understand what the situation at GRM is before shooting off like you did. You take a trip down the GRM and you'll find a lot of hard working guys, even the drivers have to get there hands dirty.

I don't blame GRM or anyone else, even Rick Kelly pulled his car off the track after getting a few touch ups on Friday. Why?? He, nor did Garry, wanted another repair bill just before another street circuit round. It might be entertaining to see them smash each other up, but it's the teams budgets, personnel and so on that suffer afterwards.

You want to see them race, buy a ticket and go to a V8 round. Otherwise, please get off there backs and anyone else's.
To put it in these bill paying terms so you might understand.You bid for a job(the V8 teams were anxious/desperate to get back on the GP program),your bid is accepted and you are going to be paid top dollar(the sanctioning fee for the GP is one of the 4 highest V8 Supercars is paid all year) and then when you turn up to do the job you erect the lounge chair,the BBQ and spend the whole job on lunch break.Do you think the people who pay you (GP Corporation,sponsors,spectators) should tolerate this?
Old 31 Mar 2009, 01:18 (Ref:2429474)   #40
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Wood View Post
so I’m interested to know if you used to think Bathurst was ‘a waste of time’ before it became a part of the championship?

Sorry to single you out, but this obsession so many have with points these days is just ridiculous. What ever happened to getting a bunch of race cars together, and having people drive the wheels off them to try and win a motor race? If the concept of that bores you, then you really should find another sport.
Not at all - but, i would never compare winning Bathurst to winning a non-points round at the GP either ...

The concept doesnt bore me, so is it OK if i stay a motoracing fan

*** What sort of appearance fee are we thinking the V8 teams get for racing at the GP
Old 31 Mar 2009, 02:36 (Ref:2429489)   #41
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
*** What sort of appearance fee are we thinking the V8 teams get for racing at the GP
Enough that it is the teams decision themselves to go back to the AGP. Seeing as they made the decsion i don't get all the whinging (unless Garry got outvoted?)
Old 31 Mar 2009, 02:45 (Ref:2429492)   #42
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
If garry was whinging it probably had something to do with the valvoline car that was written of in Adelaide...
Old 31 Mar 2009, 06:01 (Ref:2429513)   #43
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
GRM has no chance of winning the championship this year(or probably any other year).
Again if it is OK for GRM to do this then would it also be OK for EVERY other team to do this either at the GP or at rounds of the series once they have lost their chance of winning the pointscore?
I'm not sure if your following this years championship or not, but it has holdsworth in 3rd....
1Jamie Whincup3002Will Davison2673Lee Holdsworth249
Also, once any team had a bad race 1 last year, and any other previous years, it then made that weekend just a test. No different to here. Some people need to unknot their knickers i think!
Old 31 Mar 2009, 09:06 (Ref:2429582)   #44
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Here's an honest question.
Why isn't the AGP pseudo round just made a round of the Championship?
Does AVESCO preclude an event being a round if it isn't (equal) top billing?
Old 31 Mar 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2429678)   #45
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The teams were paid a fee to race at the GP(about $50K per 2 car team I am lead to believe).To take this money and then fake it is unprincipled and probably in breach of the V8 Supercars teams agreement.GRM has no chance of winning the championship this year(or probably any other year).If the teams are that concerned about cost savings they would not be continually increasing the number of races they have at car destroying street circuits.Again if it is OK for GRM to do this then would it also be OK for EVERY other team to do this either at the GP or at rounds of the series once they have lost their chance of winning the pointscore?

I think you've taken this all a bit too far (and possibly personally?) mate.

To say GRM have no chance of winning the title? I don't really understand this statement. Leethal finished 2nd and 5th at Clipsal...he's 3rd in the Championship...

Both GRM cars at the GP qualified outside the top-half, so you wouldn't have seen them on TV during the races anyway. As has been stated previously, Valvoline and Cummins are probably loving this - they've seen their brands on TV quite considerably over the weekend...sitting in the pits - best $$$$ they've ever spent. I'd be happy with that sort of coverage.

According to Mr Rogers, #33 had 'rear suspension problems' (), while #34 was made up of bits and pieces from the workshop during the week(). They would've been (and were in qualifying) slow and uncompetitive, mobile chicanes.

I think we all know GR doesn't really care what anyone thinks of him. I can assure you that he would be the only bloke in the pitlane to have the balls to try a stunt(?) like this in the first place. He hasn't broken any rules but perhaps morally it wasn't the smartest thing to do. The only thing that was, perhaps, damaged was the team's credability...but as I said, GR doesn't care about that kind of sensitive girly stuff.

At the end of the day, GRM heads back to the workshop with two straight cars, not a scratch and plans intact to get ready for NZ and finish off Robbo's car for the trip across the Tasman. If only I was as smart as a Mr Garry Rogers.....
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 31 Mar 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2429685)   #46
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But then there are those klutzes out there like messers Dane, Edwards and Walkinshaw who raced hard for the win, came home with some kudos, straight cars, and some possibly useful data. Fools, dang fools!
Old 31 Mar 2009, 11:13 (Ref:2429689)   #47
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
But then there are those klutzes out there like messers Dane, Edwards and Walkinshaw who raced hard for the win, came home with some kudos, straight cars, and some possibly useful data. Fools, dang fools!
I'm sure Garry came home with all of those things as well.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 31 Mar 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2429691)   #48
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
What data? Bugs will still stay stuck to the back window if you don't go over 130km/h?
Old 31 Mar 2009, 14:30 (Ref:2429805)   #49
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe teams should be allowed to use old cars here as they did at Surfers a few years back when it was a non-championship round. I know DJR did for Courtney because they had to, but I'm talking about a team like 888 running BF's just for this race, so as to preserve the championship cars.

What Garry did wasn't right, but you need to look at why he did it to find a solution for next year.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 01:10 (Ref:2430198)   #50
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
What data? Bugs will still stay stuck to the back window if you don't go over 130km/h?
You must have pretty sticky windows!!!!
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...