Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Nov 2014, 19:00 (Ref:3475893)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ross Stone To Leave Erebus!!

Story Here

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Nov 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3475896)   #2
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's shame, wonder will he be back.

Probably has a no compete clause? Gardening leave?

Would be nice to hear something positive from Erebus...
Old 17 Nov 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3475919)   #3
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No real surprise... it was the inference given when the original sale of SBR went through, I had thought, that Ross would do two years within the new Erebus structure, and then be retiring, or whatnot.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 00:06 (Ref:3475978)   #4
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing new here, it was part of the sale arrangements 2 years ago, and was made public at the time, so the only surprise would have been if he changed his mind and stuck around.

Good luck to him, I hope he really enjoys the Milford Track, and time with his family. He ( and Jim ) have had a stellar career, and the sport is better off for having had them in the game for so long.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 00:08 (Ref:3475979)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 18 Nov 2014, 00:53 (Ref:3475989)   #6
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off to hook up again with MA at Penske / DJR

Last edited by Sandgroper; 18 Nov 2014 at 00:53. Reason: spelling
Old 18 Nov 2014, 01:47 (Ref:3476001)   #7
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He worked wonders with both DJR and Marcos.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 02:05 (Ref:3476006)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
No real surprise... it was the inference given when the original sale of SBR went through, I had thought, that Ross would do two years within the new Erebus structure, and then be retiring, or whatnot.
Sure it was inferred, especially since Erebus has an option to purchase the SBR #9 REC by season's end, thus breaking the link between them.

The V8SC world is surely a'changing...
Old 18 Nov 2014, 03:25 (Ref:3476031)   #9
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that there is no talk of permanently leaving the sport. So that suggests once he's gone for his stroll through the countryside he will turn up next year somewhere? Or at least 2016?
Old 18 Nov 2014, 03:32 (Ref:3476036)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Interesting that there is no talk of permanently leaving the sport. So that suggests once he's gone for his stroll through the countryside he will turn up next year somewhere? Or at least 2016?
i took this line
Quote:
Stone says he’s looking forward to watching the V8 Supercars races on television next year
as meaning no or minimal involvement next year
Old 18 Nov 2014, 04:35 (Ref:3476043)   #11
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take a year off and buy it back at the end of next year?

Are Erebus still taking ownership of the #9 REC?
Old 18 Nov 2014, 04:38 (Ref:3476044)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Take a year off and buy it back at the end of next year?

Are Erebus still taking ownership of the #9 REC?
according to the article

Quote:
he sale process is set to be completed on December 31, with Erebus taking ownership of the #9 Racing Entitlements Contract which had initially remained in the hands of SBR under the takeover plan.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3476111)   #13
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
i took this line as meaning no or minimal involvement next year
So in football parlance he will have his boots on come the Test day
Old 18 Nov 2014, 10:39 (Ref:3476130)   #14
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably will appear at another team just like his mate Shane.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 11:05 (Ref:3476137)   #15
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i took this line as meaning no or minimal involvement next year
They have TVs at the track. Indeed that is how he watches from pit lane right now.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 11:14 (Ref:3476141)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend View Post
Probably will appear at another team just like his mate Shane.
Super Black?
Old 19 Nov 2014, 08:53 (Ref:3476487)   #17
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Super Black?
My thoughts exactly GTR, reunites with DJR, Ambrose, Ford...can't hurt to have an experienced man lurking in the back of the shed. I don't recall there ever being bad blood between DJ and the stones...also sees good support for matt stone racing too with their ford program.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 09:59 (Ref:3476501)   #18
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend View Post
My thoughts exactly GTR, reunites with DJR, Ambrose, Ford...can't hurt to have an experienced man lurking in the back of the shed. I don't recall there ever being bad blood between DJ and the stones...also sees good support for matt stone racing too with their ford program.
im only going hearsay mostly gathered from this and other forums but didn't DJR and the stones separate on bad terms, or maybe it was a money thing (sponsorship)?

I reckon we wont see ross anywhere until at least the 2nd half of the year
Old 19 Nov 2014, 10:10 (Ref:3476502)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
im only going hearsay mostly gathered from this and other forums but didn't DJR and the stones separate on bad terms, or maybe it was a money thing (sponsorship)?

When the Stones left Mr Waldock back in the day, there were rumblings of IP paid for by Mr Waldock being used on DJR cars.. Not sure if it ever proceeded to court (it was 20+ years ago..)

Dont recall any noise around leaving DJR, but it is possible..
Old 19 Nov 2014, 10:19 (Ref:3476503)   #20
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
When the Stones left Mr Waldock back in the day, there were rumblings of IP paid for by Mr Waldock being used on DJR cars.. Not sure if it ever proceeded to court (it was 20+ years ago..)

Dont recall any noise around leaving DJR, but it is possible..
Was it just the opportunity to have there own team that caused them to leave then?
Old 19 Nov 2014, 10:32 (Ref:3476506)   #21
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a bad thing for Erebus. SBR was hardly competing consistently at the pointy end when Erebus came along. If anything the Erebus takeover probably flattered a diminishing SBR engineering force.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 10:39 (Ref:3476509)   #22
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well in the season before Erebus took over (2012), they got all three cars into the top 10 in the championship, with at least one car in the top 5 in just about every race.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 11:17 (Ref:3476517)   #23
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Was it just the opportunity to have there own team that caused them to leave then?
I'd say that was it

Alan Jones had big money backing from Phillip Morris for 1996 and the Stones had a chance to half-own the team, it was the logical next step for them. The deal was announced early enough (from the DJR/Stone side anyway) that it didn't leave DJR in too much of a lurch

It got even better for the Stones in 1998 when AJ wanted out and the Stones bought out Jones' share of AJR, thus being re-named Stone Brothers Racing.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 21:52 (Ref:3476719)   #24
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
Not a bad thing for Erebus. SBR was hardly competing consistently at the pointy end when Erebus came along. If anything the Erebus takeover probably flattered a diminishing SBR engineering force.
Nonsense. The two years prior to the purchase they were third in the teams championship, their best two years in the last 5 or 6 years...
Old 19 Nov 2014, 22:10 (Ref:3476725)   #25
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Alan Jones poached them, purely and simply: I'm sure I've seen an interview with Ross where he said that the offer of equity in the team was too good an offer to refuse (the past couple of years would be proof enough that he knew what he was talking about!). I remember Dick Johnson being less than ecstatic about losing the Stones Brains Trust, off the back of some very good seasons, but that is the extent of the ill-will I think. And given that DJR never looked quite as pacy again, one would have to say that Dick knew what he was losing, despite some churlishness...