Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2000, 09:18 (Ref:41409)   #1
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read with interest this morning Bernie going on again about how the UK has no divine right to a GP, and Britain needs a world-class venue to continue hosting the GP.

We've all been talking about Silverstone v. Brands Hatch v. Donnington for who's going to end up hosting the race, but no-one's yet mentioned the UK's newest motorsport venue, the Rockingham Motor Speedway.
From what I understand, this is a US-Style oval, the first of it's kind in the UK, which means there must be plenty of space inside it for a road course.
Could the UK hold it's own version of the US GP there? Is there even any kind of ( or potential for ) a track inside the oval?
Old 6 Oct 2000, 10:40 (Ref:41418)   #2
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael,

Rockingham has been designed from the outset to include a number of 'road' tracks within the oval, including a 2.6mile 'GP' tracks

IanC
Old 6 Oct 2000, 13:38 (Ref:41453)   #3
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks yelwoci,

Is the GP track a realistic proposition to hold a GP? Is Rockingham itself suited to the task. All I've seen so far are photos of a huge dirt-bowl, I don't know what the facilities are like at all...
Old 6 Oct 2000, 13:52 (Ref:41457)   #4
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Compromises, compromises...

Silverstone is a compromise due to it's location
Brands is a compromise as it is far too small
Rockingham would be a compromise as road courses on the infield of an oval suck.

The future is bright - the future is Donington!!

Once the paddock has been moved onto the infield, they are apparently going to turn the existing paddock into a stadium section similar to the complex at Silverstone. All sounds promising - I just hope and pray that the circuit doesn't lose it's character in these changes, and that Redgate Lodge is left in peace...!

The only thing stopping this is, it seems, Tom Wheatcroft's reluctance to sign a long term lease on the circuit with the current operators. Anyone got any idea what deal is currently on the table ?
Old 6 Oct 2000, 14:13 (Ref:41461)   #5
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC
I read with interest this morning Bernie going on again about how the UK has no divine right to a GP, and Britain needs a world-class venue to continue hosting the GP.
Getting to Silverstone is a nightmare unless you have a helicopter We do need a better venue though. Rockinham looks good but I ave not visited it yet.

Bernie is way out of order suggesting that we have no divne right to a GP here in the UK. Our teams make up half the feild! Besides it seems Italy has a divine right to a GP!

Tris

Old 6 Oct 2000, 14:48 (Ref:41464)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem arises when historic venues, like Silverstone or Brands Hatch, cannot afford to keep up with new circuits such as Indianpolis and Sepang. These tracks offer much more convenience and amenity to Bernie in particular for his TV crews and such. I do believe that Bernie is wrong and it would be a major blow to F1 if he took away the British GP. It would be akin to taking away either of the Italian GPs or German GPs. It would appear blasphemous to F1 fans worldwide.

Amenities aside, Bernie probably gets paid more to hold races at Indy or Sepang as well.