Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2004, 15:00 (Ref:913970)   #1
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Style

After two retirements from KR's McLaren, and after considering the slower drive of DC keeping his car together and finishing laps, the thought crossed my mind to whether or not the drivers style or racing further improves, or disadvantages the car setup. Forexample;

KR is not shy to push the rev's to its limits, he is known drive on full throttle alot of the track, and is not scared to attack into over taking positions.

In contrast DC (oh, anyone reading this who contemplates bringing up the 'This Year DC' joke, can the mod's delete their posts in this thread, I am tired of hearing DC bashing) drives a more tactical race, relying heavily on consistency and the right pitstops strategies to come off with seemingly 'luck' wins.

Does these two styles mean that certain aspects of the car are put under further strain, for example, the engine in KR's car, meaning he blew up in both AusGP and MGP.

This can also be seen in the way Webber handles his Jaguar, is there a corelation between his number one positioning in the team, and his seemingly miracle pace? Is Rubens SLOWER then MS because the Ferrari focusses around Schumachers style of driving etc?

Another point of curiosity is specifically related to the style of breaking. I am not sure which it is, but breaking with a certain foot increases flow of the car, and means further speed can be taken out of the turn, does this affect engines differently?

This is more of a rant thread, If anyone has answers to the 'jist' of my question/s, please respond, also discussion would be good, but please leave out any jokes / Driver bashing. There is too much flak directed at DC and Montoya (take Russ for example; he is just another lay person who is jumping on the MS bandwagon without respect for how he got there, or for the other drivers in the field)in other threads, i am sure if anyone wants to know how 'bad a driver' he is, we can go read them.

Thanks in advance
Old 21 Mar 2004, 15:15 (Ref:913976)   #2
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I happen to like DC.

Good team player, gives good driver input, technically very proficient, and a very good team spokesman, which is critical in todays F1. His race pace is really pretty good, he never over-drives the car, and is always in control.

With the McLaren being so fragile this year, these attributes may serve him and the car well, and he will probably beat Kimi in the points battle because of them. He seems better able to read the car, than Kimi does, and he drives within its limits. Like you said, Kimi drives a harder race than DC, and is more likely to always push harder than he has to. I don't think he worries at all about the car, he just drives it, and if it breaks, oh well. Kimi has that "who cares, not my fault" attitude, that doesn't impress me.

Now if DC can just master this one lap qualifying!

Danica Patrick
Old 21 Mar 2004, 15:18 (Ref:913978)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
About the Jaguar/Webber & Ferrari/Michael thing, yes that's very possible.
Just look at how Alesi and Berger performed with a car that was designed with Schumacher's driving style in mind.

On the subject of over driving, when you push the car to the limits and beyond there is obviously more component wear (engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes, tyres, drinking bottle ), it's only logical.

But that Mac does seem really fragile though...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 21 Mar 2004 at 15:20.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 15:29 (Ref:913986)   #4
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there not a computer controlled rev limit on these engines but it is a very intesting point when you look down through the years and wonder how come that driver x,s car always has trouble and the other has no problems
Old 21 Mar 2004, 15:32 (Ref:913989)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The difference in driving "style" between Kimi and David is much less than you'd imagine and certainly doesn't have an affect on reliability.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 23:17 (Ref:914434)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Style

Quote:
Originally posted by SetikX

Does these two styles mean that certain aspects of the car are put under further strain, for example, the engine in KR's car, meaning he blew up in both AusGP and MGP.

I have heard both Patrick Head and Damon Hill, 2 men who know an awful lot about F1 and the way the machinery works say that with todays technology, a driver can't effect whether or not the drivers style can blow up the engine.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 07:01 (Ref:914680)   #7
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi's engine didn't blow twice - yesterday it was the gearbox.

There sure must be some true in this 'style' development - Luca Badoer copies Schumacher's driving style for ages in testing, so it must have some influence.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:12 (Ref:914951)   #8
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone on the grid brakes with their left foot save Rubens, but I think that now even he is a convert (he did it in Japan in '03, anyway...)
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:15 (Ref:914955)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Wasn't Japan 03 Rubens first proper attempt in a race? Done him some good, should imagine he'll stick with it.