Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 28 May 2000, 19:58 (Ref:8482)   #1
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon Keeble (no longer on BBC2 at 11pm tonight!)

Sounds interesting, no?
Old 28 May 2000, 20:02 (Ref:8483)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well.

I don't recall ever reading about Gordon Keeble racing.
Old 28 May 2000, 20:26 (Ref:8484)   #3
Graham
Veteran

With the absence of a "Historic Car" forum, I guessed this 'ere olde-worlde padded cell would suffice...
Old 28 May 2000, 20:52 (Ref:8485)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK Then.

What was the basis of the Gordon Keeble? Anything competition(ish)in its mechanics?

BTW. I'm racing tomorrow so I won't be sitting up to watch.
Old 28 May 2000, 21:36 (Ref:8486)   #5
Graham
Veteran

Haven't a clue about the Keeble. I remember Tim mentioning it in a post. And he seems to know cool cars.

Good luck tomorrow. I'm probably off to Combe.
Old 29 May 2000, 19:01 (Ref:8487)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well. What was it like?

Did you notice anything about the engine? Did it sound familiar?

Just asking you know.
Old 29 May 2000, 23:13 (Ref:8488)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have checked and doublechecked my records, and the only reference I've got for a Gordon Keeble race pedigree is a car that entered a late sixties Brighton Speed Trial. My archive does not record who the driver/entrant was.

Mainly because I simply cannot get sufficiently excited about timetrials/hillclimbs/drag racing to file the results. Sorry!

The only other connection with the sport is the motor. It's a 5.3 litre Chevy engine, and this is the basis of many a speedy track car, from Corvettes to Lola GT cars.

Nicely breathed on, should do a Panoz "Goes like lightning, sounds like thunder!"
Old 30 May 2000, 20:47 (Ref:8489)   #8
Graham
Veteran

I didn't watch it. I totally forgot

So you'll have to tell me...?
Old 10 Mar 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1543163)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nothing like digging up a really old thread - I've changed the thread title so as not to mislead! Not sure they ever raced, but a rare and great road car; about 99 built, I believe. Here is one which seems to have a couple of unusual features; headlamp stoneguards and later alloy wheels:-

Last edited by John Turner; 10 Mar 2006 at 20:59.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1543672)   #10
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Curious thing abut the Gordon Keeble. Over Christmas I was scouring a batch of old MotorSport magazines for research. I couldn't help but notice that almost every month from the late sixties to mid seventies, at least one GK was up for sale. Given how few were made, that struck me as odd. Were they less appealing in the flesh than expected? Were they murdered by fuel costs? Was it just the same couple of chassis going round and round with silly price tags?

Can anyone shed any light?
Old 11 Mar 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1543724)   #11
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What sort of size were GKs? I'd always assumed (from photographs) that they were big old barges, but the picture above makes it look not much larger than the Scirocco parked behind it.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:52 (Ref:1544160)   #12
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they were a reasonably large car, perhaps a bit shorter than an Iso Grifo - again only an impression but all large GT cars I've seen from the 60s (eg Maserati Ghibli, Facel Vega, Iso Rivolta & Grifo) have been the same basic size.

The cars had a steel multitube chassis with fibreglass body, and were styled by Giugiaro (as a 21yo trainee at Bertone) - there are definite similarities to the later Alfa coupes. As mentioned they had the Corvette 327 V8 with a de dion rear axle and 4 wheel disc brakes. The car was shown at the 1960 Geneva motor show but did not go into production until 1964. Apparently the car was priced too low and they went broke (twice) and made only 100 or so vehicles.

ps no danger of me attempting to tune into BBC2 tonight!
Old 14 Mar 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1548905)   #13
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, this must be the oldest quote I've ever used from ten-tenths:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
Nicely breathed on, should do a Panoz "Goes like lightning, sounds like thunder!"
The one main difference between the Panoz and the Gordon-Keeble, of course, is that the G-K is actually a rather nice looking car....

I don't really know why, but I've wanted one ever since seeing the odd example at historic race meetings as a kid.

I think that their survival rate is quite high (over 60 remain I believe), possibly because they were 'over-engineered', which added to their financial failure. I rather like the idea of rolling up at race meetings in one!
Old 23 Mar 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1558194)   #14
dwrestorations
Rookie

England
Norfolk
dwrestorations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More on (moron?) the GK

Hello all,

we're lucky enough (or unlucky enough depending on your viewpoint!) to have a GK sat in our workshop at the moment.

Sizewise, about comparable with one of the last bugeyed Granada Scorpios. If anyone would like accurate dimensions, I could get out the tape measure.

These cars were an enigma to me too, until starting on this car. They actually have quite an impressive 'spaceframe' chassis of sorts. With the large engine, reasonably tune-able suspension, and so on I think it probably could have been competition worthy in its day.
Old 15 Jan 2007, 10:22 (Ref:1815591)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Four Gordon Keebles at Rougham, August 20, 2006. They represent 4% of total production!:-

Old 15 Jan 2007, 18:04 (Ref:1815860)   #16
Leigh Trevail
Rookie

England
South Norfolk
Leigh Trevail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon Keeble

In the 50's Jim Keeble re-bodied the Frazer-Nash that Ken Wharton took to 4th place in the 1952 Swiss GP. He turned it into a two seater sports for Ben Wyatt of Diss, Norfolk.
Old 15 Jan 2007, 23:06 (Ref:1816085)   #17
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John that is the first decent rear view of a G-K I can remember seeing. They don’t look so much like an Alfa Romeo 105 GTV from that end, vaguely like an older Alfa but then you could say that about most late 50s cars with little fins on the back.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 12:49 (Ref:1817467)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I have a better shot of the rear view, here:-